Not a "Review", just some thoughts!

TheDee

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review. PS This IS actually a review!!!!!"

TheDee was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

My husband and I were on B2B cruises in October and November.  We love the PG and these cruises were our 8th and 9th on the ship.  We also sailed on Renaissance and Tahitian Princess in FP.   As always, the service was fantastic.  I cannot say enough about the servers, bartenders, and housekeeping staff.  They were exemplary.  We had a couple of changes that were made at the last minute.  The captain felt that the weather in the Cook Islands was going to be rough, so he changed our itinerary to the Tuamotus.  Safety first!  The second change was not using the Bora Bora Motu.  They said that the 'beachers" used for wet landings were not in use because of engine issues.  That was not true.  They were used for landings on Motu Mahana.  Because of our B2B cruises we were to be on Bora Bora for four days.  Ponent substituted a free buss shuttle to Matira Beach.  Matira is beautiful but does not compare to the Bora Bora Motu.  This decision was not handled well.

The food was great as always and the service in the dining rooms was on point. As an example, when we were seated at our table flutes of champagne appeared.   Overnight in Bora Bora, my husband and I had the private Marina dinner at the back of the ship.  It was lovely.  For an older ship it was in decent condition.  The cosmetic changes made during the last dry dock were well done.  However, the bathrooms need significant updating.

This was our first time on the PG since Ponant took over. There were definite changes that we noticed:

-  No flower arrangements in our cabin, just one flower in a vase

-  No chilled sparkling wine waiting for us in our cabin

-  No daily snacks brought to the cabin

-  No nightly canapes brought to our cabin by our butler

-  No "Block Party" to meet and greet the other passengers on our deck

-  Deserts in the dining room were underwhelming.  Often desserts consisted of a small scoop of ice cream with some chocolate sauce.  Usually there was 

one "special" dessert offered.

After sailing on the PG under Regent, Beachcomber, ( Richard Bailey), and most recently Ponant, Ponant suffers in comparison.

Agree strongly that Ponant has significantly changed the PG "experience".  What hasn't changed is the marvelous crew! We've also sailed under Regent and Beachcomber and missed the evening canapes quietly enjoying a drink before dinner on the balcony.

Also, in order to get requested liquor stocked we had to point out to the butler the PG literature describing this service. Wasn't a problem in the old days. Also liquor choices were fewer - but we did have free laundry service which is a big plus on 10-11 day trips.

Must re-iterate that although the butlers were a bit stiff, most of the crew were just outstanding.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:07 AM, TheDee said:

My husband and I were on B2B cruises in October and November.  We love the PG and these cruises were our 8th and 9th on the ship.  We also sailed on Renaissance and Tahitian Princess in FP.   As always, the service was fantastic.  I cannot say enough about the servers, bartenders, and housekeeping staff.  They were exemplary.  We had a couple of changes that were made at the last minute.  The captain felt that the weather in the Cook Islands was going to be rough, so he changed our itinerary to the Tuamotus.  Safety first!  The second change was not using the Bora Bora Motu.  They said that the 'beachers" used for wet landings were not in use because of engine issues.  That was not true.  They were used for landings on Motu Mahana.  Because of our B2B cruises we were to be on Bora Bora for four days.  Ponent substituted a free buss shuttle to Matira Beach.  Matira is beautiful but does not compare to the Bora Bora Motu.  This decision was not handled well.

The food was great as always and the service in the dining rooms was on point. As an example, when we were seated at our table flutes of champagne appeared.   Overnight in Bora Bora, my husband and I had the private Marina dinner at the back of the ship.  It was lovely.  For an older ship it was in decent condition.  The cosmetic changes made during the last dry dock were well done.  However, the bathrooms need significant updating.

This was our first time on the PG since Ponant took over. There were definite changes that we noticed:

-  No flower arrangements in our cabin, just one flower in a vase

-  No chilled sparkling wine waiting for us in our cabin

-  No daily snacks brought to the cabin

-  No nightly canapes brought to our cabin by our butler

-  No "Block Party" to meet and greet the other passengers on our deck

-  Deserts in the dining room were underwhelming.  Often desserts consisted of a small scoop of ice cream with some chocolate sauce.  Usually there was 

one "special" dessert offered.

After sailing on the PG under Regent, Beachcomber, ( Richard Bailey), and most recently Ponant, Ponant suffers in comparison.

Agree with what you said  ... however, several of us did notice the food wasn't as good as previously. As the chef was top notch and I did see several new crew members in the dinning area I speculating that there maybe some new kitchen staff as well. When you see duck on the menu multiple times (3) you know there is more French influence. 

Another noticeable difference was the water bottles  .... gone. Now you get a canister and you dill it from the 5 gallon water dispensers next to the elevators. Problem is the canisters don't seal well and if you pack it in your excursion carry-on it can leak. You can request canned water but then again once opened on your excursions you can't put it back in your bag. 

The ship looked decent, no complaints there ... and there are several old crew members still there which is nice ... but this last cruise in October we were on was not up to the standards of the past.

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Is it time to start looking elsewhere for a French Polynesia cruise? 

Well @pappy1022, maybe I don't get out much compared to all of you folks, my favorite line being Oceania, but this was the best cruise that I've ever been on, food was fantastic, wine excellent, service outstanding. Genuine warmth from the crew. Spectacular scenery. The only thing I could have asked for was a larger room, but that's on me, LOL. Hope you give them another shot 🙂

I 🩷 BTK but he does travel groups that he takes along to FrenchPolynesia, so he does have some interests here. 

Edited by TheDarkestBlue

48 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Well @pappy1022, maybe I don't get out much compared to all of you folks, my favorite line being Oceania, but this was the best cruise that I've ever been on, food was fantastic, wine excellent, service outstanding. Genuine warmth from the crew. Spectacular scenery. The only thing I could have asked for was a larger room, but that's on me, LOL. Hope you give them another shot 🙂

I 🩷 BTK but he does travel groups that he takes along to FrenchPolynesia, so he does have some interests here. 

As reference I've sailed on the PG 16 times ... only the last 3 years have I noticed changes and especially this last year. For those going for their first time on the PG they will have a great time. It's us you've been on the PG for years/decades ... we notice the differences. If you have not been on the ship in the last 3 years you've might not have noticed. Love the PG ... just not to excited about where it is heading.

As a TC I'm always looking for a great experience for my groups and hopefully with a good price. Not saying I'll never take a group on the PG again but I'm in a wait and see mode ... 

I've said my peace ... for now I'll hang out in the South Pacific forum if you have questions. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

I have cruised multiple times with Regent, Oceania and Crystal and have enjoyed all of them. I usually choose one of these 3 based on which itinerary is best for me. I am more about the adventure and the journey than the ship itself. I know what I am getting with those 3 cruise lines. I don’t let the little things bother me because no cruise line is perfect. I have never been to the French Polynesia and my logic was that it would be better to go with a cruise line that made that region “home”. I also believe that the smaller ships, such as Paul Gauguin and Windstar, would provide a better cultural experience. The last item that made me lean toward these 2 cruise lines was that I wanted to travel in the May/June timeframe. That last item eliminated a number of mid sized cruise lines that I am accustomed to using. I have a cruise booked with Paul Gauguin for 2025. I am not sure how the Windstar Star Breeze is going to shake out. I am looking forward to reviews on this ship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

I still am booked with PG. I am interested in the pros and cons that you experienced and any thoughts you have on the shore excursions through PG or private. I haven’t given up yet, just hearing more and more about PG negatives. When did you last travel on PG?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

I still am booked with PG. I am interested in the pros and cons that you experienced and any thoughts you have on the shore excursions through PG or private. I haven’t given up yet, just hearing more and more about PG negatives. When did you last travel on PG?

October/November 2023

As I said  ... most new cruisers on the PG will have a good time as they have no idea what was in the past ... only us who have frequented the PG over many years notice the differences. Enjoy your cruise on the PG ... still many positives. As mentioned before ... I'm hanging out in the South Pacific forum. If you need my opinion on something please go there 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I have cruised multiple times with Regent, Oceania and Crystal and have enjoyed all of them. I usually choose one of these 3 based on which itinerary is best for me. I am more about the adventure and the journey than the ship itself. I know what I am getting with those 3 cruise lines. I don’t let the little things bother me because no cruise line is perfect. I have never been to the French Polynesia and my logic was that it would be better to go with a cruise line that made that region “home”. I also believe that the smaller ships, such as Paul Gauguin and Windstar, would provide a better cultural experience. The last item that made me lean toward these 2 cruise lines was that I wanted to travel in the May/June timeframe. That last item eliminated a number of mid sized cruise lines that I am accustomed to using. I have a cruise booked with Paul Gauguin for 2025. I am not sure how the Windstar Star Breeze is going to shake out. I am looking forward to reviews on this ship. 

Hi Pappy 🙂 

We are similar in that I am a destination-based traveler, not going for the ship, but for the adventure it's going to take me on. And of course to be comfortable. We were on the ship last June, had excellent weather with only one afternoon into evening of rain and thunderstorm. We have friends who did Wind Star in November, it rained most of the time and they did not come back feeling the same way about their experience. I do a lot of research and wanted a ship that had its home base in French Polynesia, preferred the Paul Gauguin over Windstar for many reasons, not the least being with PG the whole vibe seemed genuine to me, and that totally came across onboard. Here's my foray into the ether 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2938520-daily-activity-schedules/

4 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I still am booked with PG. I am interested in the pros and cons that you experienced and any thoughts you have on the shore excursions through PG or private. I haven’t given up yet, just hearing more and more about PG negatives. When did you last travel on PG

Since we (having not sailed then) can't compare the good old days on Paul Gauguin to right now, I think it's a moot point to use the past experience to dissuade people who are not aware of it. No cruise line is giving the same experience that they did in the past. 

Sorry for the hijack OP!

Pappy I will see you at the excursion thread

51 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Hi Pappy 🙂 

We are similar in that I am a destination-based traveler, not going for the ship, but for the adventure it's going to take me on. And of course to be comfortable. We were on the ship last June, had excellent weather with only one afternoon into evening of rain and thunderstorm. We have friends who did Wind Star in November, it rained most of the time and they did not come back feeling the same way about their experience. I do a lot of research and wanted a ship that had its home base in French Polynesia, preferred the Paul Gauguin over Windstar for many reasons, not the least being with PG the whole vibe seemed genuine to me, and that totally came across onboard. Here's my foray into the ether 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2938520-daily-activity-schedules/

FYI  ... Windstar's Star Breeze is staying in FP year round starting in February. Windstar has been sailing in FP waters for 35 years 😉

Windstar just won the coveted 'Best Enrichment' cruise line. I know Windstar is hiring many Polynesians to join the crew of the Star Breeze  ... pictured is the Star Breeze in FP. Not trying to "dissuade people"  ... notice that the thread was started by someone who has frequented the PG as much as myself .... just added my take as well as being in agreement with the OP.

Best enrichment cruise line.png

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 2

Thank you @Tahitianbigkahuna for your many posts on this forum.  As Host I have appreciated your expertise and judgment.  I'm sorry to see that you feel PG is slipping – but on all the forums I moderate I see the same comments from longtime cruisers.  [Not necessarily Windstar, but generally...]  So I hope people will follow your posts in the South Pacific forum for your comparative evaluations and other advice going forward.  We will miss you here!

However, I don't see a Cruise Critic forum called 'South Pacific.'  Do you mean the Pacific Islands, All forum?

31 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you @Tahitianbigkahuna for your many posts on this forum.  As Host I have appreciated your expertise and judgment.  I'm sorry to see that you feel PG is slipping – but on all the forums I moderate I see the same comments from longtime cruisers.  [Not necessarily Windstar, but generally...]  So I hope people will follow your posts in the South Pacific forum for your comparative evaluations and other advice going forward.  We will miss you here!

However, I don't see a Cruise Critic forum called 'South Pacific.'  Do you mean the Pacific Islands, All forum?

Yes .... thanks for catching that 

• 3 weeks later...

Just for information, Silversea is bringing its Silver Whisper to French Polynesia with cruises beginning in 2026. So then there will be three smaller motor ships operating there. We have cruised on this ship in the past and it’s a good one. The base suites are 285 sq. ft. Interior — a little larger than the Star Breeze and considerably larger than the Paul Gauguin. Announced itineraries look familiar, from all our past Paul Gauguin cruises. The amount of local culture that Silversea will offer is, of course, yet to be seen. But competition is a good thing

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Just for information, Silversea is bringing its Silver Whisper to French Polynesia with cruises beginning in 2026. So then there will be three smaller motor ships operating there. We have cruised on this ship in the past and it’s a good one. The base suites are 285 sq. ft. Interior — a little larger than the Star Breeze and considerably larger than the Paul Gauguin. Announced itineraries look familiar, from all our past Paul Gauguin cruises. The amount of local culture that Silversea will offer is, of course, yet to be seen. But competition is a good thing

competition is always good for the consumer. Frankly, I’m looking for different itineraries than the Paul Gauguin. Currently, there are three small ships home-based in French Polynesia. 

Starbreeze cabins start at 277 ft.² … I don’t think I’ll miss the 8 ft.² :-). There are two other smaller ships looking to come in French Polynesia, which are on the planning stages for 2026.

No sir, not discounting the Star Breeze at all. It may well host our next cruise in FP.  And what are the other small ships planning cruises in FP in the future? And what alternative iteneraries  you would like?