MSC Seashore - NY Cruise review

tofubeast

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

tofubeast was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We sailed 7 nights on the Seashore from 12/29 to 1/5 in a Fantastica balcony cabin (14241) on deck 14. Our cabin was right next to the ones that bend inward toward the back, so we had an awesome side view of the entire back of the ship and wake. 

Boarding was pretty easy (at least in comparison to Miami). We parked at the terminal. We checked in our suitcases and made our way upstairs. Security moved smoothly and we were probably on the ship within a half hour. Unlike our Divina sailing in '22, they did not give us our cruise cards when we checked in. Instead, we found them on our cabin door. (I am not sure I like it that way for obvious security reasons.) Our cabin attendant was FABULOUS all week. He worked quickly and efficiently and he was super friendly. Our stateroom was always in great shape after he tidied it up.

The food was good. Not horrible, not AMAZING. Some dishes were more stellar than others. I don't recommend the lobster tails on Elegant Night. They were overcooked, so order something else. Yes, I have had better food on other lines, but even on my more recent RCCL cruise a few years ago, I noted that the food had gone down from what I had remembered. We were bummed to get the earliest 5 PM seating, and unfortunately, our waitlist did not go through to switch to the 7 pm seating. On the nights we couldn't make it to the dining room, we just enjoyed the buffet. We did enjoy Hola Tacos and the Kaito Teppanaki specialty restaurants. I wasn't as in love with the Sushi bar. We had great food servers for all these meals. Everyone was friendly and attentive.

Overall, the MSC crew was very friendly and seemed to remember us. Many greeted us as we walked by. We especially adored the staff in Venchi. Get the hot chocolate with whipped cream. TRUST ME! Yum. 

The photographers on the ship were excellent. We were able to get some very special photos from this trip that we will cherish. We did not pay for Wifi, but for some odd reason, I-Message on our Iphones worked the entire cruise (both on the ship and texting friends back home.) The app needs a little work as it crashed a lot.

Our ports were Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Ocean Cay. We booked excursions outside the ship and were glad we did. Cheaper and much smaller touring groups. I can't rave enough about Native Choice to see Chacchoben Ruins in Costa Maya and Butts Up for cave tubing in Belize. They were both INCREDIBLE. It also helped that we were gifted with gorgeous weather throughout our cruise...not too hot or humid and no rain. Perfection! Ocean Cay was even more beautiful than our last visit. Trees and greenery are filling in more. I am excited to see all the new additions and changes coming this year (especially since they are more of the simple/elegant variety that keep in line with the serenity of this particular private island).

NYE activities were plentiful on the ship. Lots of people were decked out in cool outfits and it was fun just to people watch. There was a big party out by the pool deck (a little too cold out for me that evening) and entertainment in the main area with a countdown. It was funny to see everyone raid the buffet minutes after the countdown. People dressed to the nines running around to get pizza etc. But it was fun, and they also had special cakes and desserts to mark the occasion. 

The entertainment was just okay. I wasn't impressed with the dueling piano singers, but the acoustics in that space are pretty bad. Perhaps they would sound better in a room made for music. The illusionist show was cheesy in an 80s/90s kinda way. It was the only nighttime show we went to in the theater.

Leaving the ship was pretty easy. We waited in the buffet area until we were called and we were off the ship pretty quickly.  I have no complaints. 

Overall, we had a relaxing and fun week. No major things to complain about. People around us seemed pretty happy, too. I call that a win in my book.

Edited by tofubeast
  • Like 7

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. We like MSC and find the crew to be accommodating and our fellow passengers to be fun and polite. We are pretty easy to please and have not experienced any of the issues others have had with service or other passengers. We don’t sail in Yacht Club by choice, not because we can’t afford it. We enjoy being around lots of different nationalities and ages. They make our cruises so much more enjoyable. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jeal said:

We don’t sail in Yacht Club by choice, not because we can’t afford it. We enjoy being around lots of different nationalities and ages. They make our cruises so much more enjoyable. 

The "different nationalities and ages" can be found in the Yacht Club and they are more well behaved.

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The "different nationalities and ages" can be found in the Yacht Club and they are more well behaved.

I agree. Many of the staff are multi-lingual and you can hear many different languages being spoken in the Yacht Club. 

Oh, I apologize. I didn’t mean to imply that different nationalities can’t be found among passengers in Yacht Club. But, I do get tired of Yacht Club passengers making disparaging remarks about the “gen pop” or the “masses” as if there is something distasteful about mingling with the “gen pop.” We find people on MSC are generally very friendly and kind. I think it’s a shame that you think passengers in Yacht Club are more “well behaved.” I invite you to come and hang out in the gen pop with us sometime. You might have a surprisingly good time. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Jeal said:

I think it’s a shame that you think passengers in Yacht Club are more “well behaved.” I invite you to come and hang out in the gen pop with us sometime.

I didn't mention behavior since that is impossible to predict for any experience on any cruise. I just referenced the different languages spoken by different nationalities/ethnicities.

50 minutes ago, Jeal said:

But, I do get tired of Yacht Club passengers making disparaging remarks about the “gen pop” or the “masses” as if there is something distasteful about mingling with the “gen pop.

I've never heard anyone on the ship refer to anyone as "gen pop" or "the masses" but I have read similar comments on the forum. I don't think that it is meant to be taken seriously.

I have heard a few murmurs about "the Yachties" when using priority tendering or priority boarding...😉

14 hours ago, Jeal said:

think it’s a shame that you think passengers in Yacht Club are more “well behaved.” I invite you to come and hang out in the gen pop with us sometime. You might have a surprisingly good time. 

I came from fifty years of being in “steerage “. Tired of loud music coming from my neighbors cabin all hours of the day and night. Tired of having drinks poured on my head from above while sitting on my veranda. Tired of my neighbors smoking on their balcony while I’m trying to enjoy the ocean air. Tired of having to walk the hallways avoiding soiled dishes placed outside their cabins instead of calling room service to remove them. Tired of waiting in lines with inconsiderate strangers coughing and sneezing without covering. Sorry but I can not accept your RSVP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jeal said:

Oh, I apologize. I didn’t mean to imply that different nationalities can’t be found among passengers in Yacht Club. But, I do get tired of Yacht Club passengers making disparaging remarks about the “gen pop” or the “masses” as if there is something distasteful about mingling with the “gen pop.” We find people on MSC are generally v...ery friendly and kind. I think it’s a shame that you think passengers in Yacht Club are more “well behaved.” I invite you to come and hang out in the gen pop with us sometime. You might have a surprisingly good time. 

I used to feel that way until I sailed in the YC!  We only tried it because my husband was having mobility issues...but now I could never go back.  YC vs gen pop is like being in the eye of the tornado....peace and calm....out of the storm: no waiting on lines, no running to get seats in the theatre, no crowded elevators etc

When you have "more people per sq ft" and more people per "crew member".....you're gonna get more people "fighting for space and service".  That's the difference.  Nobody in YC has to cut the line for the buffet or shove others aside to be seated for shows.......

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

I used to feel that way until I sailed in the YC!  We only tried it because my husband was having mobility issues...but now I could never go back.  YC vs gen pop is like being in the eye of the tornado....peace and calm....out of the storm: no waiting on lines, no running to get seats in the theatre, no crowded elevators etc

When you have "more people per sq ft" and more people per "crew member".....you're gonna get more people "fighting for space and service".  That's the difference.  Nobody in YC has to cut the line for the buffet or shove others aside to be seated for shows.......

Just to note that people didn’t cut me off in the buffet line. I felt people were pretty respectful for a sold out holiday cruise. I really don’t experience any line cutters that whole week.  

26 minutes ago, tofubeast said:

Just to note that people didn’t cut me off in the buffet line. I felt people were pretty respectful for a sold out holiday cruise. I really don’t experience any line cutters that whole week.  

I actually didn't mean "MSC Specific"....I meant the whole cruise industry, when you go with "the masses".  And the issue could be with certain groups, who culturally don't wait in lines.

We are going on a Carnival cruise tomorrow....gen pop....(I booked it a long time ago at an "almost nothing" price).  Not sure how it's gonna be....I'm bringing a tray with me just to make it easier to get DH his food in the buffet (he's using a cane....so carrying a plate could be an issue).  We also did a post-YC NCL cruise with the gen pop.  I was DH's butler for the week.  It was a good cruise, but not he calm and serenity of YC.

After this cruise (and another week of being DH's butler)....it's just gonna be YC!

We're older than Mr & Ms @morpheusofthesea.  We also paid our dues, and now just want comfort and convenience.  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:27 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

I came from fifty years of being in “steerage “. Tired of loud music coming from my neighbors cabin all hours of the day and night. Tired of having drinks poured on my head from above while sitting on my veranda. Tired of my neighbors smoking on their balcony while I’m trying to enjoy the ocean air. Tired of having to walk the hallways avoiding soiled dishes placed outside their cabins instead of calling room service to remove them. Tired of waiting in lines with inconsiderate strangers coughing and sneezing without covering. Sorry but I can not accept your RSVP.

Money doesn't buy class. We have sailed many times in the Haven on NCL  and the Retreat on Celebrity. On every sailing we have encountered someone coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth. Same with dishes being in the hallway and smoking on the balcony. Don't RSVP to the party that you think is beneath you (your choice) but don't be delusional about MSC. All of that behavior happens in the YC as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ashleyriley said:

Money doesn't buy class. We have sailed many times in the Haven on NCL  and the Retreat on Celebrity. On every sailing we have encountered someone coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth. Same with dishes being in the hallway and smoking on the balcony. Don't RSVP to the party that you think is beneath you (your choice) but don't be delusional about MSC. All of that behavior happens in the YC as well. 

"Money will make you more of what you already are. If you're not a nice person, money's going to make you a despicable individual. If you're a good person, money's going to make you a better person." 

Bob Proctor

Where the Retreat and Haven differ from the Yacht Club is that the "ship within a ship" concept is more isolated and confined both cabin and venues behind closed doors with many fewer encounters.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Money will make you more of what you already are. If you're not a nice person, money's going to make you a despicable individual. If you're a good person, money's going to make you a better person." 

Bob Proctor

Where the Retreat and Haven differ from the Yacht Club is that the "ship within a ship" concept is more isolated and confined both cabin and venues behind closed doors with many fewer encounters.

I understand the concept of both cruiseline's version of "ship within a ship" having sailed both. I was commenting on the fact that bad behavior like the things you mentioned absolutely occur in these more expensive and more exclusive areas of the ship like the Retreat, Haven and YC. Have a lovely weekend. 

1 hour ago, ashleyriley said:

I was commenting on the fact that bad behavior like the things you mentioned absolutely occur in these more expensive and more exclusive areas of the ship like the Retreat, Haven and YC.

Yes, indeed. I totally agree with you. My contention is maybe a delusion. By being more 'spaced out' and less crowded in a separate, exclusive venue on a ship away from 5200 others in gen pop., one has a greater chance of not being in a line or close to other people with "bad behavior"? Any percent of 5500 is still greater than that percent of 262 in YC that have "bad behavior" ? 

Then there is my delusion that there are more persons of authority to handle "bad behavior" in the YC. 

On 1/10/2024 at 4:21 PM, tofubeast said:

We sailed 7 nights on the Seashore from 12/29 to 1/5 in a Fantastica balcony cabin (14241) on deck 14. Our cabin was right next to the ones that bend inward toward the back, so we had an awesome side view of the entire back of the ship and wake. 

Boarding was pretty easy (at least in comparison to Miami). We parked at the terminal. We checked in our suitcases and made our way upstairs. Security moved smoothly and we were probably on the ship within a half hour. Unlike our Divina sailing in '22, they did not give us our cruise cards when we checked in. Instead, we found them on our cabin door. (I am not sure I like it that way for obvious security reasons.) Our cabin attendant was FABULOUS all week. He worked quickly and efficiently and he was super friendly. Our stateroom was always in great shape after he tidied it up.

The food was good. Not horrible, not AMAZING. Some dishes were more stellar than others. I don't recommend the lobster tails on Elegant Night. They were overcooked, so order something else. Yes, I have had better food on other lines, but even on my more recent RCCL cruise a few years ago, I noted that the food had gone down from what I had remembered. We were bummed to get the earliest 5 PM seating, and unfortunately, our waitlist did not go through to switch to the 7 pm seating. On the nights we couldn't make it to the dining room, we just enjoyed the buffet. We did enjoy Hola Tacos and the Kaito Teppanaki specialty restaurants. I wasn't as in love with the Sushi bar. We had great food servers for all these meals. Everyone was friendly and attentive.

Overall, the MSC crew was very friendly and seemed to remember us. Many greeted us as we walked by. We especially adored the staff in Venchi. Get the hot chocolate with whipped cream. TRUST ME! Yum. 

The photographers on the ship were excellent. We were able to get some very special photos from this trip that we will cherish. We did not pay for Wifi, but for some odd reason, I-Message on our Iphones worked the entire cruise (both on the ship and texting friends back home.) The app needs a little work as it crashed a lot.

Our ports were Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Ocean Cay. We booked excursions outside the ship and were glad we did. Cheaper and much smaller touring groups. I can't rave enough about Native Choice to see Chacchoben Ruins in Costa Maya and Butts Up for cave tubing in Belize. They were both INCREDIBLE. It also helped that we were gifted with gorgeous weather throughout our cruise...not too hot or humid and no rain. Perfection! Ocean Cay was even more beautiful than our last visit. Trees and greenery are filling in more. I am excited to see all the new additions and changes coming this year (especially since they are more of the simple/elegant variety that keep in line with the serenity of this particular private island).

NYE activities were plentiful on the ship. Lots of people were decked out in cool outfits and it was fun just to people watch. There was a big party out by the pool deck (a little too cold out for me that evening) and entertainment in the main area with a countdown. It was funny to see everyone raid the buffet minutes after the countdown. People dressed to the nines running around to get pizza etc. But it was fun, and they also had special cakes and desserts to mark the occasion. 

The entertainment was just okay. I wasn't impressed with the dueling piano singers, but the acoustics in that space are pretty bad. Perhaps they would sound better in a room made for music. The illusionist show was cheesy in an 80s/90s kinda way. It was the only nighttime show we went to in the theater.

Leaving the ship was pretty easy. We waited in the buffet area until we were called and we were off the ship pretty quickly.  I have no complaints. 

Overall, we had a relaxing and fun week. No major things to complain about. People around us seemed pretty happy, too. I call that a win in my book.

Agree that Native Choice in Costa Maya provides great excursions at a reasonable price.