Bogo flights/$300? Really?

tokidoki

I have no experience with the flights with NCL.

But on this subject, just curious. 

How did the original BOGO air work? Let's say, hypothetically, there were 10 passengers going from the same location previously, and direct flights available, would NCL have purchased all 10 direct, even if the last 5 doubled in price? Or would they have booked 5 direct and told 5 others sorry, indirect for you?

Is this new "offer" a way of ensuring you will get the "first 5" whereas previously it might have been a lottery? If so, it could be argued the original BOGO offer has slightly reduced in value?

Sorry if I'm talking nonsense here, but it seems necessary to know how it originally worked ie who got the 8 direct seats before this new 300 offer?

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I would assume that the offer is based on the current request, as a specific flight is apparently listed. Maybe the OP can let us know if it's a same-day flight or they requested a deviation.

Same day

9 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

How did the original BOGO air work? Let's say, hypothetically, there were 10 passengers going from the same location previously, and direct flights available, would NCL have purchased all 10 direct, even if the last 5 doubled in price? Or would they have booked 5 direct and told 5 others sorry, indirect for you?

Is this new "offer" a way of ensuring you will get the "first 5" whereas previously it might have been a lottery? If so, it could be argued the original BOGO offer has slightly reduced in value?

Sorry if I'm talking nonsense here, but it seems necessary to know how it originally worked ie who got the 8 direct seats before this new 300 offer?

NCL buys in bulk, no way to know how many direct flights were available for them to purchase, if any. They never guarantee a direct flight, even if they are available. No way to know if NCL is paying extra for those direct tickets (probably not) - but how they would be distributed, prior to this new twist to the program, is anybody's guess.

So to your scenario, they would have booked 5 direct (assuming they were cheaper), sorry indirect for the others. NCL terms are a maximum of 1 layover for domestic, 2 layovers for international.

So they've added an upgrade aspect to the program, not sure how that's an issue. Based on what was posted, it's most likely a way to guarantee you get one of those direct flights, if you respond in time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

also, NCL is promising a direct flight, which is not always possible from many departure cities. what's unclear is if this email is only going out to people who live in major markets in which direct flights are possible.

What is unclear is whether you owe the $300 if a direct flight isn't available.

Just now, tokidoki said:

Email also states that’s the offer isn’t 100% and the travel insurance goes up as well

Not guaranteed as in even if you pay or not guaranteed as if we only have 5 seats available and if you are #6 to respond, too bad?

OP, the letter indicates you "can lock in the specific flights detailed below".  But I don't see specific flights detailed in the letter.  Did they include specific flight information?  If they didn't, then I too would pass or at least call and ask them where the specific flight details are.  However, for me, starting at the Pittsburgh or Cleveland Airports, I might be very happy to pay $300 to get a direct flight to some locations.  But I'd have to see those flight details first.

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Someone's smoking something at NCL. I do have to give NCL credit for at least being upfront about taking folk's money and not guaranteeing they get any service for the extra 3 Benjamin's. Fleece away NCL! 

Where does it say they will take your money and not follow through? It says they might not accept your offer, how does that translate to taking your money? No acceptance, no money taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Where does it say they will take your money and not follow through? It says they might not accept your offer, how does that translate to taking your money? No acceptance, no money taken.

You're right! I just edited my post since I'm not quite right. I was reading about the guaranteed seat assignment, not the flight. 

• Like 1

for those who say the offer is not misleading, i kindly point you to the OP's initial posts in this thread.

i would then point you to the communication from NCL itself.

i'd still love to know what the title of the email was and if in fact this was presented by NCL with a. confirmation of the original BOGO air booking. if so, that's bad form. it's not in fact a confirmation and if presented as such, it makes it seem like a continuation or required element of the same BOGO booking process.

if not, kudos to NCL for being a smidge less sleazy. they would indeed go from a 9 on my sleaze-ometer to a 7. still pretty high, and still a whole lotta sleaze, but a marginal improvement, for sure.

17 minutes ago, UKstages said:

for those who say the offer is not misleading, i kindly point you to the OP's initial posts in this thread.

i would then point you to the communication from NCL itself.

i'd still love to know what the title of the email was and if in fact this was presented by NCL with a. confirmation of the original BOGO air booking. if so, that's bad form. it's not in fact a confirmation and if presented as such, it makes it seem like a continuation or required element of the same BOGO booking process.

if not, kudos to NCL for being a smidge less sleazy. they would indeed go from a 9 on my sleaze-ometer to a 7. still pretty high, and still a whole lotta sleaze, but a marginal improvement, for sure.

Info about your cruise-a chance to request your flights.  That’s the title.  It is a bit misleading.  They offer a flight without 100% certainty. 

• Thanks 1

I could be wrong because NCL does tend to obfuscate things, but I'm reading that they make no guarantee to "upgrade" you even if there are direct flights available. Which I'm taking to mean they don't make a guarantee to accept your offer solely based on flight availability. I would hope they wouldn't accept the offer then book you layover flights and say #sorrynotsorry.

Plus, the cost being per person not stateroom does make the so-called offer way less worth it, imo. For certain destinations, I'd rather stretch my legs, use a full size toilet, and grab a meal at an airport then fly straight through anyway. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Info about your cruise-a chance to request your flights.  That’s the title.  It is a bit misleading.  They offer a flight without 100% certainty. 

How is this any different than "Information About Your Cruise + A Chance To Upgrade!" which is what they send out for upgrade bids. They offer a chance to upgrade without 100% certainty.

At least with your offer it appears that they are actually offering you the flight for the amount listed, assuming availability at the time you make an offer to accept. The only uncertainty seems to be if they don't accept your offer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Honestly the value to this type of new offer greatly depends on where you are and where you're going. Dangling a carrot of a direct flight from JFK to Miami is laughable to me. 90%+ of flights for that route will be direct. Whereas someone with a less traveled route or with a major hub in between will have more of a 50% chance of skipping Atlanta and going direct on through to Miami.

Some folks get nervous with the B1G1 flights because there is no control over who you fly with, when your flights are, or how roundabout it will be to get there. This gives some of those folks a chance to take back a little of that control while still being a 'discounted' flight than what they would have paid originally.

I still find the whole thing confusing, I guess because it seems you have to go through a series of clicks to get the full information. But despite how bad NCL can be at times, I can't see them charging you $300 more (per person) and not giving you anything. If you're too slow to respond and those seats are no longer available by the time you say 'yes' - you can't be charged if they have nothing to give you. 

• Like 1