Food in decline?

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Thanks for letting me know I am wrong! I have a post graduate degree, retired at 57, and cruise 1-2 times a month, usually on RCI. I must be clueless because I like the food on RCI and will continue to cruise on RCI every month. 

Don't think you're alone. I follow blog on world cruise on Serenade and they rave about the food, not a bad meal since it started 12/10/23.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Thanks for letting me know I am wrong! I have a post graduate degree, retired at 57, and cruise 1-2 times a month, usually on RCI. I must be clueless because I like the food on RCI and will continue to cruise on RCI every month. 

OMG🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, George,

Pelham and Larchmont (Mamaroneck High School '59). Seattle area since January 1975.

1959 sailing was part of a student tour of Europe for 55 days. Think "Grand Tour" of yore but on a budget. Nieuw Amsterdam had three classes then - first, cabin, tourist (seems like cruise lines are reverting back to that). We were in the middle class. It had a ROUND porthole about 15 inches in diameter, on a lower deck. The seas got so bad that the room attendant had to lower a steel covering over it and lock it in place for 2 or 3 days. The waves were over the porthole.

I was not yet 18 and on my own with 29 other kids who were either going to be high school seniors, or like me, were going to start college.

Jim 

Wow, now that is a class trip LOL! Yes definitely reverting back to class cruising and I think that is a darn shame! The beauty of then modern cruising in the 80's and 90's was that everyone received the same food, service, etc. The only difference was the actual cabin size and location. Two families we met and remain close to to this day and cruised many times together through the years were table mates. On land in reality we would have never come together being far different in financial and way of life those years. Now with the separate restaurants, my time dining, suite only areas, etc, this doesn't happen easy anymore. The other factor of course the number of passengers. doesn't promote the old " we are all on this special vacation together. "

I know you must miss Walters Hot Dogs 🙂

George in NY - Go Garnets class of 1968 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Gee I only have a GED, cruised until recently but 30 days a year. But I did retire at 40, what took you so long? I have cruised RCL at lot and I am sure will again when the menu suits me more. All lines have cut back on food budget. Recent HA no different, no lobster at all now unless paid on MDR menu. But since RCL sails from Cape Liberty I would love to sail them again soon as they stop cutting everything from service to food.

Being an impressive post graduate degree and practically living at sea you will let me know won't you. I shall rely on your superior knowledge and abilities. Then again, as you said, you might just be clueless.

And so as happens on the boards, the conversation degenerates. LOL

George in NY - Leaving you the last pompous A word as I shall surely be to overwhelmed to reply. 

• Haha 4

IMO, food is food, some good and some bad. I guess this is a touchy subject because everyone has a different opinion as to what "Awesome" food is. It's going to be based on where you regularly eat. If your idea of going out to eat is Applebee's or Chili's, you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how fantastic the food is. If your idea of going out the eat is Capital Grille, then your expectations may be higher. I for one give RCL an equal grade for being a "chain" like upper dining experience. The bottom line is, if it's not good for you, don't eat it and ask for something else, they are more than happy to oblige. 

For the record: I do consider myself a foodie and I prefer mom-and-pop shops to high-end elegance. There is a time and a place for that. I just went to Ruth Chris' and there were 4 of us and yes we all had steak and drink. The bill I paid was $387 plus the tip and it was ok. I can say without a doubt that I've had a better steak at Chops.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, meansun said:

IMO, food is food, some good and some bad. I guess this is a touchy subject because everyone has a different opinion as to what "Awesome" food is. It's going to be based on where you regularly eat. If your idea of going out to eat is Applebee's or Chili's, you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how fantastic the food is. If your idea of going out the eat is Capital Grille, then your expectations may be higher. I for one give RCL an equal grade for being a "chain" like upper dining experience. The bottom line is, if it's not good for you, don't eat it and ask for something else, they are more than happy to oblige. 

For the record: I do consider myself a foodie and I prefer mom-and-pop shops to high-end elegance. There is a time and a place for that. I just went to Ruth Chris' and there were 4 of us and yes we all had steak and drink. The bill I paid was $387 plus the tip and it was ok. I can say without a doubt that I've had a better steak at Chops.

If you are paying what you are paying and expecting fine dining like in fine dining restaurants ... hmmm ... I do not think anyone can do this.  🙂

• Like 2

Ohhhhh boy....you said "foodie". 😇 That seems to be a trigger word for some here.🫢

I will say it again and you are correct. Food is VERY subjective. Some will like it while some will think it was below their expectations.

It's like cilantro...some love it while others describe the taste as eating a bar of soap.

We are all different. Not sure why a food discussion gets so intense but for some reason, it seems to.

If I can't find a "good" meal on Wonder next month, that's on me.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lakelife4me said:

Ohhhhh boy....you said "foodie". 😇 That seems to be a trigger word for some here.🫢

I will say it again and you are correct. Food is VERY subjective. Some will like it while some will think it was below their expectations.

It's like cilantro...some love it while others describe the taste as eating a bar of soap.

We are all different. Not sure why a food discussion gets so intense but for some reason, it seems to.

If I can't find a "good" meal on Wonder next month, that's on me.

Agreed, it is subjective. Cilantro does taste like soap to me but I like it. I guess I cursed a lot when I was a kid.

If anyone can't find anything they like and they are happy with, it truly is on them. take something as simple as a waffle. I love a good waffle but it has to be light and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The waffles I've seen on the ship are closer to Eggo waffles which, aren't bad if they are a little more well done. They don't do them that way so I don't eat waffles on the ship. They do make a helluva omelet though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Georgeny said:

Wow, now that is a class trip LOL! Yes definitely reverting back to class cruising and I think that is a darn shame! The beauty of then modern cruising in the 80's and 90's was that everyone received the same food, service, etc. The only difference was the actual cabin size and location. Two families we met and remain close to to this day and cruised many times together through the years were table mates. On land in reality we would have never come together being far different in financial and way of life those years. Now with the separate restaurants, my time dining, suite only areas, etc, this doesn't happen easy anymore. The other factor of course the number of passengers. doesn't promote the old " we are all on this special vacation together. "

I know you must miss Walters Hot Dogs 🙂

George in NY - Go Garnets class of 1968 

I get Walter's dogs every few years. My brother (died a year ago) lived in White Plains. I used to come East for MHS Reunions (now via Zoom). We use "Any Time" (or whatever the cruise line calls it) dining. We ask for tables of 6 to 8 including us so we get to meet other people. On our last cruise, via Cruise Critic Roll Call, we met some people with whom we connected before the cruise on land-based tours before and during the cruise. We dined with some almost every night. We all thought RCCL's food was very good.

Jim

On 2/12/2024 at 12:10 PM, Lakelife4me said:

Ohhhhh boy....you said "xxxxxxe"😇 That seems to be a trigger word for some here.🫢

There, I assisted in helping you to avoid the volcanic meltdown that word can cause.

Next time just say it rhymes with "hoodie" and starts with an "F" (doesn't quite have the same sound or zing to it).

Humor intended, we take ourselves too seriously sometimes.

😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There, I assisted in helping you to avoid the volcanic meltdown that word can cause.

Next time just say it rhymes with "hoodie" and starts with an "F" (doesn't quite have the same sound or zing to it).

Humor intended, we take ourselves too seriously sometimes.

😉

Or just say "made up title to make myself sound fancy." It almost rhymes!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 6:56 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Or lost your sense of taste when you had covid.

Took the Jewel of the Seas last December and the main dining room food was ok but the food at the Windjammer was subpar in terms of quality and variety. Last week I was on the Celebrity Apex and the food was vastly superior.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:04 AM, Tatka said:

If you are paying what you are paying and expecting fine dining like in fine dining restaurants ... hmmm ... I do not think anyone can do this.  🙂

Ridiculous. No one expects Michilen stars. But it’s getting to where I would much prefer Golden Corral to the average evening at the MDR or Windjammer.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mjldvlks said:

Ridiculous. No one expects Michilen stars. But it’s getting to where I would much prefer Golden Corral to the average evening at the MDR or Windjammer.

No, this is not getting to this point. This comparison is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:59 PM, jeh10641 said:

I get Walter's dogs every few years. My brother (died a year ago) lived in White Plains. I used to come East for MHS Reunions (now via Zoom). We use "Any Time" (or whatever the cruise line calls it) dining. We ask for tables of 6 to 8 including us so we get to meet other people. On our last cruise, via Cruise Critic Roll Call, we met some people with whom we connected before the cruise on land-based tours before and during the cruise. We dined with some almost every night. We all thought RCCL's food was very good.

Jim

Something is wrong with your font settings!

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

No, this is not getting to this point. This comparison is ridiculous. 

Your original post suggests people who are not happy with the current state of food service on Royal are expecting fine dining which is not possible with the amount available for included food options. For as long as I have been on these boards (15 years or so) that has been a common accusation leveled at people unhappy with the food. I maintain that is not what people are expecting.  

For years I was perfectly happy with included food options. Now, however, I firmly believe Royal is engaged in a calculated effort to diminish included food service to the point dining packages are the only reasonable alternative.  It amazes me that anyone who has cruised for more than a year or two can contend the quality of included food is anywhere near what it used to be.

If you meant something different, please explain.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I sailed with RCI since 2004... and with other lines since 2003.

My first 3 cruises - Splendor in 2004 and Explorer in 2007/2009 - featured weaker food than during last year.

I never expected RCI to feature fine dining - Celebrity, Holland, Princess had always better food, but even they were not fine dining - but I do not think current food on RCI is Golden Corral quality. It is in between. Maybe somewhat worse than pre-pandemic, but not Corral worse.

I do not think it is done on purpose, there are pretty obvious reasons. Huge losses during pandemic, huge inflation etc. There is huge competition as cruising is still evolving. I do not believe RCI would upset loyal following on purpose. 

• Like 1

There are actually THREE subjects worth researching regarding to future plans of cruising. All existed and had plans to be put in place long before the pandemic.

SHIP in a SHIP - basically onboard class system regarding service and amenity.

ECONOMY of SIZE - basically bigger capacities create higher margins.

ALA-CARTE Dining - Shoreside style restaurants and pricing.

You are seeing huge ship capacity, special areas and amenities for people who can afford it. Speciality restaurants pricing increases, diminished MDR and casual dining free offerings and quality.

This is not a mystery. As prices for tickets climb so do onboard charges. The pandemic makes a believable excuse for this occurring now and so rapidly.

George in NY - cruising since 1985, once in the business on the peripheral. What will be interesting is that once the pent up travel desire and the pandemic reserve cash etc diminish what will happen in the industry. Whether these changes can be sustained in a real question. in U.S housing is becoming far more important and costly than the desire to cruise.

Edited by Georgeny
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

There are actually THREE subjects worth researching regarding to future plans of cruising. All existed and had plans to be put in place long before the pandemic.

SHIP in a SHIP - basically onboard class system regarding service and amenity.

ECONOMY of SIZE - basically bigger capacities create higher margins.

ALA-CARTE Dining - Shoreside style restaurants and pricing.

You are seeing huge ship capacity, special areas and amenities for people who can afford it. Speciality restaurants pricing increases, diminished MDR and casual dining free offerings and quality.

This is not a mystery. As prices for tickets climb so do onboard charges. The pandemic makes a believable excuse for this occurring now and so rapidly.

George in NY - cruising since 1985, once in the business on the peripheral. What will be interesting is that once the pent up travel desire and the pandemic reserve cash etc diminish what will happen in the industry. Whether these changes can be sustained in a real question. in U.S housing is becoming far more important and costly than the desire to cruise.

Well thought-out presentation. I have seen similar views from many experienced cruisers coming to the same point:

Will the other shoe drop?

If so when?

I am seeing softness in bookings after July of this year. How soft, I can not say yet. Much more price adjustments being reported on CC posts recently.

Time will tell,

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mjldvlks said:

That's pretty much how I feel about it also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjldvlks said:

It amazes me that anyone who has cruised for more than a year or two can contend the quality of included food is anywhere near what it used to be.

I would also say that many restaurants I go to are also not the same quality of what they used to be. All for a much higher price.

• Like 3