Kindle -- Usage Questions

Italy52

The one time I tried to download a book on my Kindle while outside the U.S. Kindle had an additional charge for downloading out of the U.S.  That was more than 4 years ago so it may have changed since then.  Best thing is to download before leaving home.

• Thanks 1

Each book has to be opened individually to be downloaded; at least that's how it has worked on each of the Kindle e-readers I have had.  Just seeing the books in your library on your Kindle e-reader and only opening one book does not mean that they are ALL downloaded; it only means the one you opened is for sure downloaded.  Learned that lesson the hard way.  Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot download or open a book that has not been downloaded whilst in airplane mode.  You must be connected to wi-fi to download even when that book sits in your library.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

Each book has to be opened individually to be downloaded; at least that's how it has worked on each of the Kindle e-readers I have had.  Just seeing the books in your library on your Kindle e-reader and only opening one book does not mean that they are ALL downloaded; it only means the one you opened is for sure downloaded.  Learned that lesson the hard way.  Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot download or open a book that has not been downloaded whilst in airplane mode.  You must be connected to wi-fi to download even when that book sits in your library.

This is my experience also.

The login process onboard is impossible on my Kindle Keyboard and difficult on our paperwhite, and sometimes even on Fire.  Plus trying to connect just runs down the batteries.  Turn off wifi while onboard.

On 1/12/2024 at 2:43 PM, Italy52 said:

@Firefly74, @yorkshirephil.  Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.  My husband has already purchased his books and they have downloaded to his device; he even opened one of them up for assurance.  I am assuming that the next thing he should do is put his Kindle in "airplane mode" so he can read his books while on the ship and not worry about incurring any charges?

I leave my Kindle Paperwhite in airplane mode all the time at home to keep from running down the battery. I turn on WIFI only to get new books. Just put it in airplane mode before the trip and bring your charger.

On 1/14/2024 at 6:14 AM, BabySarge said:

Each book has to be opened individually to be downloaded; at least that's how it has worked on each of the Kindle e-readers I have had. 

Or you can press on the book's image to open the menu then select download.

Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot download or open a book that has not been downloaded whilst in airplane mode.  

It is not possible to download a book while in airplane mode.   It is possible to open a book while in airplane mode if that book has been downloaded to your device.  You can download when not in airplane mode.  You cannot download when in airplane mode.  

On 1/14/2024 at 6:14 AM, BabySarge said:

You must be connected to wi-fi to download even when that book sits in your library.  

Correct if talking about the cloud library.   You can't download anything unless on wifi. Once downloaded to your device (Kindle) you no longer need wifi.