Cruiser Formerly Known As Cheapo Dad's Trip Report on Odyssey of the Seas Sailing to A Minus B Plus C Plus H Islands

The Santa event is from 9 to 11 AM.  The time is 10:25 and still people in line to have pictures taken with Santa

20231225_102522.thumb.jpg.c4a3a82fed58ae12ecc5ca71e94338e4.jpg

My son wanted a picture with the cruise director as he thought the CD was very funny

20231225_102406.thumb.jpg.bb8ddf53b6bbb1dee4eeb432da171624.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, harryfat1 said:

Santa chilling again at Windjammer

20231225_094051.thumb.jpg.07e42649bdfab484266eb13061c0a5df.jpg

For whatever reason, Windjammer wasn't that busy.  Maybe some people wanted to go to the MDR for the Christmas morning brunch.  I don't believe they were serving any special menu that morning but I didn't check.  

If anyone from our sailing went downstairs for brunch, can you confirm if they had anything special there?

We never made it to any brunches in the MDR as they now only have brunch there up to noon so no more regular lunches in MDR on sea days.  Another one of those cutbacks people are unhappy about as they are paying more to get less.

Although I wonder if all the ships switched over to the brunch system as back on the Navigator in August, they had the regular lunch at MDR from 11:30 AM to 1 PM.

So unless this brunch thing was a very recent development implemented fleetwide, I don't think all the ships are on the brunch schedule but you frequent cruisers can chime in.

20231225_094425.thumb.jpg.0de94541d01960eeae91aa32c45de5f3.jpg

I didn’t go to the Christmas morning brunch but the menu in the app was the same as all the other brunches for the week. I am not a fan of the brunch menu so I did not go at all during the week. 
I will be sailing on Enchantment the end of August. The app is currently showing that there is breakfast in the MDR every day and lunch in the MDR on sea days. I hope it does not change by the time we sail. 

54 minutes ago, rncruiser said:

I didn’t go to the Christmas morning brunch but the menu in the app was the same as all the other brunches for the week. I am not a fan of the brunch menu so I did not go at all during the week. 
I will be sailing on Enchantment the end of August. The app is currently showing that there is breakfast in the MDR every day and lunch in the MDR on sea days. I hope it does not change by the time we sail. 

That makes me wonder if the brunch thing is ship-specific if not all the ships are implementing it?  Maybe the brunch thing is for newer/bigger ships that have more dining options so that RCI can feel justified in closing down MDR during the peak lunchtime between 12 noon to 1 PM.

Anyone who sailed recently ate a regular lunch at the MDR (not the brunch that ends at 12 noon)?

After 10:30, the line to see Santa has pretty much died down and Santa is just chilling with the workers before they call it a morning

20231225_103250.thumb.jpg.9bc4dc07f55ee4ee70397570003c4ca0.jpg

I still see lots of presents in the back as some kids never made it to the 270 to collect their presents from Santa.  Maybe they didn't know about the event?

Not like anyone was off the ship as it was a sea day.  Back in 2017, we were docked at St. Maarten on Christmas day so we had to grab the boys' presents way early at 8 AM and rushed off the ship for an excursion.

20231225_103301.thumb.jpg.a7c8ff01bf1def4bb8855dea87ee0074.jpg

Looks like Santa's helpers are visiting their uncles in prison that morning as well

20231225_104333.thumb.jpg.c2030ac0c71f66f98cbee9368cfc75ed.jpg

• Like 5

We were done with 270 and as we walked past Izumi they had a sushi-making class so I took a picture of the place.  Not sure if this wasn’t my only picture of the place.

I had thought about eating here as one of the 2 specialty lunches I had budgeted but given I’m from the Bay Area with a huge Asian population, I can get sushi easily from home.  I don’t need to get it from a cruise. 

In looking at Google Maps and searching for “sushi near me”, I counted there were 20 sushi restaurants within a 10-mile drive from my home.  I can tell you there are not 20 steak houses near me so I rather be spending money eating on I don’t normally have while at home.

If I were to eat sushi on the ship, I would reserve the first or second day to have it.  Assuming they have the fresh fish supply from Fort Lauderdale suppliers, wouldn’t it make more sense to eat that earlier on the cruise? 

So unless they got a fresh supply of sushi at Cuaraco or Aruba, I wouldn’t want to order sushi on day 8 of the cruise

• Like 5

Anyway, as we didn’t know about checking the photos via the app, we did it the old-school way and paid a visit to the uncle in prison to see how our pictures turned out from last night’s formal attire.

For anyone planning to buy a package with lots of pictures, it’s best to check your pictures daily and tag the ones you like so that by day 8 of the cruise, it’s less overwhelming to look at 200+ pictures at once.

As it's Christmas morning, not many people here to visit their uncles in prison 

20231225_105833.thumb.jpg.f0e7d39a09e1759699dab35db49a4118.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

At 11 something Santa was done and they were using the 270 area for the Flash mob dance rehearsal so we sat and watched them practice.  It was pretty funny to watch the worker trying to coordinate a bunch of non-dancers to perform a synchronized dance routine.  It’s like watching someone trying to herd a bunch of cats.

(Side note - I like the wake view from the side. This is my typical morning view when the ship is sailing - except this morning when the closed the curtains for the Santa event)

20231225_111816.thumb.jpg.050af17b86b33c57edfaf3179380637b.jpg

Pick a seat.  Any seat.  As deck 6 is empty on our side of the ship

20231225_112432.thumb.jpg.092de4c30b8d628499d43ab61668af05.jpg

The one and only Mariah Carey song most people know.  But hey, she’s filthy rich from it as they play it every year during the holidays.

20231225_113328.thumb.jpg.e1936824861e77ac0d7a9013bb600266.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20231225_114249.thumb.jpg.f3df1d64b018af51e40418527e584eeb.jpg

I think this was their third and final rehearsal ahead of the big performance at the Royal Esplanade (Promenade) at 1:30 in the afternoon but we won’t have time to watch it live as we had lunch plans at 1 PM. 

Since not everyone attended the first two rehearsals, at times they weren't sure where to stand or dance but they all tried and having fun and that's what counts

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Yeah. That's him.

You had him as a CD on one of your prior cruises? We think he's funny and full of energy

We have a good photo of him. But I can't find it among the many. He is a very good CD, and high energy. ☺️He is coming down the lighted stairs in full YMCA regalia, so it was a Radiance class ship/cruise. But I don't remember which one. 

Edited by Coralc

19 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We have a good photo of him. But I can't find it among the many. He is a very good CD, and high energy. ☺️He is coming down the lighted stairs in full YMCA regalia, so it was a Radiance class ship/cruise. But I don't remember which one. 

Yeah, the boys love him for his energy and humor and he has great dance moves every night in introducing the acts at the main theater.

Here's Ricky (and the hair) with the Village People gang at the 70's dance party

20231229_231345.thumb.jpg.72ae9704bedaa0062d68aa523a4b6ef4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We really enjoyed brunch on our last couple of cruises. However, brunch ran until 1:30 PM and they had options for both breakfast and lunch foods, so you could have whatever meal you wanted. I always chose breakfast while DH frequently chose lunch. We were both happy. I hope it is the same way when we board Allure in a couple of months. Actually, since we’re doing two short sailings I don’t think they will be doing brunch on the second leg of our B2B, the three day sailing but there are two sea days on the 4 day leg so I’m hopeful for brunch on the sea days that runs until 1:30. 

4 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

To my fellow Calfirnia cruisers, hope y’all stay dry and safe on Sunday as another big storm is going to wallop the state

https://news.yahoo.com/prepare-now-historic-rains-californias-195233586.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

image.png.5bc481aef6e5335363ffc4c57f3ed9cb.png

I have been watching the weather that’s heading your way. Hope you and your family stay safe through the storm. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Anyone who sailed recently ate a regular lunch at the MDR (not the brunch that ends at 12 noon)?

I just checked my copies of the cruise compass for our Symphony sailing the week before your sailing.  We had sea days that had breakfast and lunch, and others that had just brunch.  

We never went for lunch or brunch, so not sure if those were correct.  They alternated on the first two sea days and on the last two, so it doesn’t appear they had a certain date they made the switch. 

Hope you don’t have too much rain.  Talked to my grandson as he walked home from school in that downpour you had last Wednesday.  He was soaked by the time he got home. I may have mentioned before that my son and his family live in the Bay Area. 

• Like 2

Harry, stay safe with that storm.  It's scary when it's Mother Nature with things out of your control. Hope it's not bad and you and your family are ok.

We were disappointed that there was no lunch in the MDR on sea days.  I wonder too if it's just Odyssey or other ships too.  We are on Wonder in March so will see then as it's a bit ship as well.

We love Ricky too. He's hilarious, and so much energy.  On NYE, he was full on jumping for an hour, and in a suit.  I was actually worried for the guy that he would pass out from dehydration.  (He didn't and was fine, and just kept going).  It's funny as he was the CD when we were on Oasis in March. Then we board Odyssey and find out he's the CD for that cruise. And also just found out that he's moving (or maybe moved now) to Wonder so we'll have him 3 times in a row.  Not sure if we are following him, or he is following us.

11 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

To my fellow Calfirnia cruisers, hope y’all stay dry and safe on Sunday as another big storm is going to wallop the state

https://news.yahoo.com/prepare-now-historic-rains-californias-195233586.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

image.png.5bc481aef6e5335363ffc4c57f3ed9cb.png

I am done with the rain and wind. We’ve lost a tree and a fence. We also have an extra trash bin that came flying down the hill. If nobody claims it soon, we are keeping it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, perfect match said:

We really enjoyed brunch on our last couple of cruises. However, brunch ran until 1:30 PM and they had options for both breakfast and lunch foods, so you could have whatever meal you wanted. I always chose breakfast while DH frequently chose lunch. We were both happy. I hope it is the same way when we board Allure in a couple of months. Actually, since we’re doing two short sailings I don’t think they will be doing brunch on the second leg of our B2B, the three day sailing but there are two sea days on the 4 day leg so I’m hopeful for brunch on the sea days that runs until 1:30. 

I just checked the compass I uploaded for day 3.  Brunch is 8:30 to 12:30 that day.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency as to when it ends and which ships have them.

Maybe any ships that have solarium bistro might have brunch as people can go there for lunch instead of Windjammer?

image.thumb.png.b646ca14e78c5eef2031ea71a0d3fc10.png

18 hours ago, perfect match said:

I have been watching the weather that’s heading your way. Hope you and your family stay safe through the storm. 

Thanks for your concern.  The state has been pelted by this storm and the governor has declared a state of emergency as a result.

Our backyard awnings broke this morning as I was drinking my coffee at 9 AM and then heard a loud metallic banging sound against the house - that can't be good.  Looked out and saw the wind had blown off the hinge that connects the metal frame of the awnings to the house.  After breaking, the metal frame was slamming against the window of the dining room.

My wife and I rushed outside in the wind and rain to disassemble the awning before the metal frame broke the window and then we would have to deal with a broken window on top of water damage from the rain. 

Good thing we were home as if we were on a cruise and come back home to broken windows and water damage wouldn't be fun...

The latest news is over 70,000 people are without electricity. My cousin lives in San Jose and he said they lost power at 9 AM today and the latest news from the crappy electricity company (PG&E) is they won't have electricity restored until tomorrow before midnight. So that's at least 24+ hours without power.

Here is the power outage map of the Bay Area as of a couple of hours ago.  Each color area represents areas with no electricity from the store. Severity is color-coded such that red color means over 5,000+ people in that neighborhood without electricity.

So far we have power but who knows how long that will last

Screenshot_20240204_163450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.897e7aecadfd031c68d236167aeec01a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I just checked my copies of the cruise compass for our Symphony sailing the week before your sailing.  We had sea days that had breakfast and lunch, and others that had just brunch.  

We never went for lunch or brunch, so not sure if those were correct.  They alternated on the first two sea days and on the last two, so it doesn’t appear they had a certain date they made the switch. 

Hope you don’t have too much rain.  Talked to my grandson as he walked home from school in that downpour you had last Wednesday.  He was soaked by the time he got home. I may have mentioned before that my son and his family live in the Bay Area. 

Interesting that the various dates of the same ship have different brunch options.  I thought it was based on if the ship has multiple lunch options so that not everyone only has Windjammer to go for lunch.

Yeah, I know about your Bay Area connection on the @dani negreanu super-sized thread.  Impressive how you folks can keep up the discussion for so many years.

I listed the issues we have from the storm in the previous post.  Check up on your son and grandson as many places in the Bay Area area have issues.

Southern California will be getting the brunt of the storm in the next few days as they have many warnings down there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Harry, stay safe with that storm.  It's scary when it's Mother Nature with things out of your control. Hope it's not bad and you and your family are ok.

We were disappointed that there was no lunch in the MDR on sea days.  I wonder too if it's just Odyssey or other ships too.  We are on Wonder in March so will see then as it's a bit ship as well.

We love Ricky too. He's hilarious, and so much energy.  On NYE, he was full on jumping for an hour, and in a suit.  I was actually worried for the guy that he would pass out from dehydration.  (He didn't and was fine, and just kept going).  It's funny as he was the CD when we were on Oasis in March. Then we board Odyssey and find out he's the CD for that cruise. And also just found out that he's moving (or maybe moved now) to Wonder so we'll have him 3 times in a row.  Not sure if we are following him, or he is following us.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Yeah, I was watching some YouTube videos on MDR lunches thinking since we have so many sea days, we can try them.  But sadly it didn't work out as we don't see lunch before they are closed.

Ricky is like an Energizer Bunny on a caffeine high.  I would be dead tired after doing what he does after 3 days...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sdteacher said:

I am done with the rain and wind. We’ve lost a tree and a fence. We also have an extra trash bin that came flying down the hill. If nobody claims it soon, we are keeping it. 

Unfortunately, many of us in the state are not out of the woods yet.  Especially you folks down in Southern CA as the storm is now on top of you guys and will be there for the next few days.

Better bolt down that extra trash bin or else it's going to your neighbors on the next block with the nasty wind. 

• Like 1

Onward with the trip report but I might be doing a shorter session as the weather-related issues require my attention.

+++++++++

Back to the cabin at 12 something and the further we sailed south, the sunnier the weather, and the heat and humidity started to kick in.  This is the Caribbean I remember.

20231225_120742.thumb.jpg.081ece85a314101a2eab0e293e829977.jpg

Unlike yesterday, the cabin attendant cleaned our cabin already by noon.  As I said, no consistency in when she cleans our cabin.  It happens whenever it happens.

Message for the cabins in our area that the crew will be cleaning the balconies.  Anything personal needs to be brought inside by the of the day.  But it didn’t impact us as we barely used the balcony, let alone put anything outside.

20231225_120838.thumb.jpg.6187a2363870a20f0a40c9cd49b43ed8.jpg

Oh, yeah, for those who like to sleep in the nude, close the curtains...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We just relaxed in the cabin until our lunch appointment at Chops.

Nobody was in front of the Christmas tree anymore as it was Christmas afternoon already.  If the tree has feelings, I wonder if it feels sad/unwanted in everyone who loves you up to Christmas morning and then blah, nothing after the presents are opened.

20231225_125608.thumb.jpg.af8490cf46e5ac627350c3bf302de05d.jpg

• Like 2