Booking a cruise on board

Sherry H

We have a cruise scheduled at the end of January.  If we book a future cruise while on board can we move it to our travel agent when we get home?  Also, can we book an advantage fare on board?  Are we able to add Club Orange so we can choose our cabin while we are choosing a cruise on board? 

3 minutes ago, Sherry H said:

If we book a future cruise while on board can we move it to our travel agent when we get home?

Yes.  The rest of your questions will need to be answered by others.

Have a great trip!

~Nancy

I have done all 3 of the things you're asking. Note that CO is capacity controlled so it may not be available on a specific cruise. You will need to specifically ask for an Advantage fare as they usually quote the others.

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I have done all 3 of the things you're asking. Note that CO is capacity controlled so it may not be available on a specific cruise. You will need to specifically ask for an Advantage fare as they usually quote the others.

May I ask why they have to ask for an Avantage Fare?  Is that because they are booking on board? I had a regular HIA fare for my cruise that I added CO to but I booked it in the comfort of my home, not on board.

6 hours ago, Sherry H said:

We have a cruise scheduled at the end of January.  If we book a future cruise while on board can we move it to our travel agent when we get home?  Also, can we book an advantage fare on board?  Are we able to add Club Orange so we can choose our cabin while we are choosing a cruise on board? 

Last spring when I booked a 2024 cruise while on board I was told by the future cruise consultant that they could not book CO on board. I'm guessing that's because it has to go through the inventory control department. I booked the lowest guarantee cabin in the category while on board with the intent to add CO later. As it turned out, I chose to keep the guarantee since it was only a 10 day cruise (w CO priced at $25pppd) and a smaller ship with no CO dining room. It was for a vista suite and I decided I'd be happy in any cabin assigned.

Edited by yerdua

7 hours ago, Sherry H said:

My experience has been that it depends on the individual Future Cruise Consultants.   All of the were able to add CO if is available.   Some will then e-mail the ship inventory group to get your specific cabin upgrade.  Some claim they are not permitted to help get the CO upgrade applied.  

• Like 1

@Sherry H, when I book onboard,  my new booking is automatically transferred to my TA.  This assumes that the TA you booked your current cruise with is the one you want the new cruise assigned to. 

• Like 2

When we last booked a cruise onboard this past May the Cruise Consultant told us that all cruises booked onboard were fully refundable.  She sold it as one of the advantages of booking onboard.  

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

When we last booked a cruise onboard this past May the Cruise Consultant told us that all cruises booked onboard were fully refundable.  She sold it as one of the advantages of booking onboard.  

I spoke to the cruise consultant last week onboard and she quoted me advantage or non refundable deposit fares. She said the cancellation policies are the same as booking on shore. I didn’t book anything this time, but was told the same thing in November when I did book on another ship.
Aside from the nice extra OBC they offer for booking onboard everything is the same. 
To OP, I had the choice of having the booking go to my travel agent or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

I spoke to the cruise consultant last week onboard and she quoted me advantage or non refundable deposit fares. She said the cancellation policies are the same as booking on shore. I didn’t book anything this time, but was told the same thing in November when I did book on another ship.
Aside from the nice extra OBC they offer for booking onboard everything is the same. 
To OP, I had the choice of having the booking go to my travel agent or not.

Perhaps being a salesperson our cruise consultant told us what we wanted to hear to ensure that we booked a cruise? 😉

• Like 1

Just to add one more data point: I usually book onboard and I have (at least once, but I believe twice) added Club Orange at that time onboard to include the upgraded room selection.  The last time was when there was a husband and wife future cruise consultant couple (FCCC?!) and it was the wife who helped me and did it, she was lovely.  

1 hour ago, glorialagos said:

Is there an advantage to booking onboard vs booking on your own at home?

My experience is no.

I've taken a couple of cruise quotes (from big internet TA) to the cruise lady onboard over the years (most recently 2023) and the price was always more onboard. 

As with many things, YMMV. 

We do love the future cruise deposits...And always buy those onboard....sometimes several......For $100 we can use it to book a cruise later and it comes with OBC.  That's a no brainer for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

My experience is no.

I've taken a couple of cruise quotes (from big internet TA) to the cruise lady onboard over the years (most recently 2023) and the price was always more onboard. 

As with many things, YMMV. 

We do love the future cruise deposits...And always buy those onboard....sometimes several......For $100 we can use it to book a cruise later and it comes with OBC.  That's a no brainer for us. 

3 hours ago, glorialagos said:

We booked this year's Transatlantic on the NS while on its crossing last year.   We liked the $100 deposit, and most of all the $250 onboard credit given for booking onboard.  We requested the guarantee rate which made the deposit non-refundable, but that didn't bother us.  They actually had a $1 deposit sale while we were onboard which they would honor onboard, but with the port time and their office hours that day, we didn't catch the $1 deposit sale. We booked the next day.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

5 hours ago, glorialagos said:

The only advantage I am aware of is the onboard cruise consultant has access to all cabins on every sailing.  If you are looking for a specific cabin then if it is available you will get it onboard.  On line you take your chances that the cabin may not be released yet when you book.

• Like 1