Why are So Many Military Retirees Drawn to O?

harryw

We have met many passengers who are retired from the Armed Services or former contractors. So

happy to see them enjoying the cruise after service to their country. Is there a substantial military discount? 

• Like 1

Did your cruise have a specific Veterans get together? I hosted the two we had on Riviera on our B2B Oct-Nov 2023. Sadly, we had few attend either one, about 6 each time. So didn't seem like we had a lot of ex-military, whether retirees or not. We had 35 on Riviera 12/2021 and 25 on Sirena 11/2022.

4 hours ago, harryw said:

We have met many passengers who are retired from the Armed Services or former contractors. So

happy to see them enjoying the cruise after service to their country. Is there a substantial military discount? 

Baby boomers?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, clo said:

Baby boomers?

Exactly. The demographics of Oceania passengers are heavily tilted towards those born before 1953ish and the end of the draft in the U. S. When the predominant demographics shift in the future to those born after 1955-1960, you’ll see the number of we veterans slowly crater.

Just now, pinotlover said:

Exactly. The demographics of Oceania passengers are heavily tilted towards those born before 1953ish and the end of the draft in the U. S. When the predominant demographics shift in the future to those born after 1955-1960, you’ll see the number of we veterans slowly crater.

It's an interesting topic.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:07 PM, clo said:

Baby boomers?

Not all of us! I'm Gen X, and retired from the Air Force after 26 years. I go to the onboard veteran gatherings mainly to remind people that all vets on O (and everywhere else!) aren't all a) men, or b) over 70. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And yet even the last of us Baby Boomers aren't that old. I was born in 1963, near the very end, and served active duty from 1989-1994, Captain/USAF. Now my son, who just turned 33, is an MA1(PO1)/E6 in the USN. Been in since he turned 18. I turned 60 last year and we did our very first cruise ever on Riviera 12/2021. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Not all of us! I'm Gen X, and retired from the Air Force after 26 years. I go to the onboard veteran gatherings mainly to remind people that all vets on O (and everywhere else!) aren't all a) men, or b) over 70. 

Sincerely...thank you for your service.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:46 PM, pinotlover said:

It was 51 years ago the end of this month (Jan 2024) when the Draft ended and the all volunteer force was enacted.  In 1980,18% of the population were veterans. In January 2023,  that number dropped to 7%.

6 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

First off, Thank You for your service!  I am certain the number of women who are veterans today FAR exceeds the number women who were veterans in my era.  I still remain a man and am one of those ancient veterans older than 70.  I'm just not that hunched over old fart you see walking around.

image.thumb.gif.c5f8d043e1907c7926f8c8ed72b7a89d.gif

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 5:46 AM, harryw said:

I am not sure 'O' necessarily has a higher percentage than some other lines. 

I know Princess, for example, give current & ex military of at least 5 countries some OBC.

It is sometimes a topic of discussion onboard to make sure military people are aware of that perk.

Their onboard get togethers are sometimes hosted by the CD.

1 minute ago, Tranquility Base said:

I know Princess, for example, give current & ex military of at least 5 countries some OBC.

It is sometimes a topic of discussion onboard to make sure military people are aware of that perk.

Princess marketing is moving toward "modern families" demographics. 

Just recently P tried to make Military OBC and Shareholder OBC non-combinable.  They found they aren't there …yet.

A particular insurance company that serves US Armed Forces and their families has a travel benefits division, and they sell Oceania Cruises. Whereas a particular warehouse box store does not (or at least they don't advertise O cruises on their travel app).

We booked our first O cruise via the insurance company. I have my membership via my father who served in the USAF.

Just now, halfapair said:

A particular insurance company that serves US Armed Forces and their families has a travel benefits division, and they sell Oceania Cruises. Whereas a particular warehouse box store does not (or at least they don't advertise O cruises on their travel app).

We booked our first O cruise via the insurance company. I have my membership via my father who served in the USAF.

I'll have to look into that. My husband has been with that company for about 60 years. Thanks.

• Like 1