MSC's Yacht club Top Sail lounge has sunk to a new low temporarily

mscdivina2016

On 1/23/2024 at 6:31 AM, momofmab said:

On Seascape, there was a talented YC guest who would play a few pre-dinner songs on the piano, prior to the scheduled musicians.  Everyone loved it.  He didn't sing though, and he didn't overstay his welcome. 

I was on the Seashore a couple of weeks ago, (not Yacht Club), and I noticed a sign by the dual piano's down in the Times Square lounge that said:  For use in performances only", so I guess in the Yacht Club only, passenger's are permitted to play?

5 hours ago, benjaminnicholas said:

Not on Virgin.

Not on Viking.

Not on many lines.  Which is why I tend to sail on those lines.

I forgot those -- probably because I have not sailed on them.

In those case, you get the other half of the spectrum, unruly, entitled adults...who can be equally annoying.

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

I was on the Seashore a couple of weeks ago, (not Yacht Club), and I noticed a sign by the dual piano's down in the Times Square lounge that said:  For use in performances only", so I guess in the Yacht Club only, passenger's are permitted to play?

I’ve seen a similar sign on the piano in Yacht Club.

They don't want anyone that's not part of the crew doing their own thing for entertainment. What individuals might think is great and professional may not be to the majority of passengers.

18 hours ago, xcell said:

I forgot those -- probably because I have not sailed on them.

In those case, you get the other half of the spectrum, unruly, entitled adults...who can be equally annoying.

You've never sailed them, so you wouldn't know.

18 hours ago, rikitikitavii said:

I’ve seen a similar sign on the piano in Yacht Club.

Certain repeat guests have carte blanche to play in the YC lounge.

I've seen a very regular guest on the Mera give impromptu spectacular performances and the crew never said a word. 

My butler said the gentleman is well-liked by the crew and is allowed to play in the lounge when he likes.

• Haha 1

Interesting topic...

I'm trying to think back about other ship's I have sailed, that allow or even encourage passenger's to play a piano...not certain, but I believe the old retired QE2 allowed it in their "Chart Room" lounge.

While a crew might allow, or disregard certain "violation's" to any "rule", to make an exception only for certain people, even if well received by some other's, may offend other's that are excluded from the exception...🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, benjaminnicholas said:

I've seen a very regular guest on the Mera give impromptu spectacular performances and the crew never said a word. 

My butler said the gentleman is well-liked by the crew and is allowed to play in the lounge when he likes.

Crew is not supposed to say anything which I think is wrong.

But people who are tipped do not want to bite the hand that feeds them either.

When I sail next month I will bring a kazoo incase a jam session breaks out. 😮😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Crew is not supposed to say anything which I think is wrong.

But people who are tipped do not want to bite the hand that feeds them either.

When I sail next month I will bring a kazoo incase a jam session breaks out. 😮😁

If the guest can play the way this gentleman plays, I'm fine with it.

He did a spectacular renditions of Chopin, Mozart and Stravinsky.

16 hours ago, benjaminnicholas said:

If the guest can play the way this gentleman plays, I'm fine with it.

He did a spectacular renditions of Chopin, Mozart and Stravinsky.

They may be fine if they turn off the olive garden music track so you don't have two things overlapping each other.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 5:52 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

Got of the Seashore this past Sunday.

It has always been great in the Top Sail.  Despite all of my issues, I love the product, but every now and then I am left shaking my head.

On a sea day, I was in the Top sail playing cards right next to the stair case going up to the restaurant on the left side mid afternoon in order to stay out of the sun,  when a guy came in with a Guitar and an Ipad.  He proceeded to sit up front of the stair case and began playing music on the ipad, playing his guitar, and singing 😱.

I spoke to the servers and they told me it was allowed????

I ended up having to move to the far other side into the sun just to escape it. It was the Olive garden music over run with religious songs and other songs.

I looked up online and I did not see it as a prohibited item. I ended up speaking to the YC Manager and she told me it absolutely was not allowed nor was the personal music device without headphones,and did I know their cabin number.  I told her that is not my job but her staffs job to deal with that. She told me if it happens again to ask for her.  I told her no, that puts me in an odd position and that its her job to notify her staff that if it happens again to take care of it. She said she will address it to all later which she did as a server, did come over to me and apologized later.

How did it even get on board?

Decent cruise, Embarkation was good, disembarkation was not smooth using self assist as hundreds of passengers were already ahead of us despite being first group off of YC.

Interesting read. I'm a lover of cards,I'm a lover of board games, and I'm a lover of music. On the cruises I've been on ,in the Top Sail lounge, I have heard guitars,piano, duets, solos etc. Some good ,some not so much. When my group plays board games we are rarely quiet and lounges may have different meanings to different people. Go to a Royal Caribbean lounge during a Diamond get together and it's loud. 

I would find it hard to complain about someone who is enjoying what they too paid for. Maybe it was raining, to windy,to cold outside to play his music. 

If it was extremely loud like an electric guitar I may have asked him if he could turn it down a bit but would never ask him to stop playing. I love the guitar and good music. 

Just my humble opinion. You probably did the right thing for your options, moving to another location. Top Sail certainly is big enough.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:07 AM, bob brown said:

I have no idea if there was a similar sign in TSL or not or if he was a repeat passenger with special piano privileges.  He played a couple of subdued, dinner music worthy tunes on the piano and then came up the stairs for dinner.  Everyone clapped.  

Edited by momofmab

35 minutes ago, karmamule said:

It feels relevant to me because it demonstrates an additional lack of concern for your other passengers: not only are you assuming they'd want to hear your impromptu amateur performance, but you're singing about a topic that's more likely to create resentment in others.

It's weird to think that merely hearing a song from a culture other than my own would be enough to cause me to be resentful of them...but I don't hate people that are different than me, so I guess I just can't relate in that way. 

In any case - my point stands...adding the comment about religion to OP's complaint wasn't relevant or necessary. 

Much love and happy sails my man...here's to a great 2024 and beyond!

Edited by CruisematicVA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruisematicVA said:

It's weird to think that merely hearing a song from a culture other than my own would be enough to cause me to be resentful of them...but I don't hate people that are different than me, so I guess I just can't relate in that way. 

In any case - my point stands...adding the comment about religion to OP's complaint wasn't relevant or necessary. 

Much love and happy sails my man...here's a great 2024 and beyond!

Yes we can agree to disagree and move on. I hope you have a wonderful 2024 as well 😎

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:15 AM, benjaminnicholas said:

We witnessed the man playing the guitar and singing in the YC that the thread is about.  I thought it was weird and we would have preferred it didn't happen. However it wasn't a big deal.

On a Seaside cruise in October there was a young couple that played the guitar and drums. They were well liked by the YC director and staff.  They were not allowed to play in the topsail because of the drums. However they were allowed to play in the Seaview lounge along with an MSC musican that they had befriended. They were good and it livened up the Seaview.

Edited by Todd320
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 6:25 PM, George C said:

YC is excellent 

That is indeed the understatement of the year.  Appreciate the info leading into our first YC experience George.  I believe we have a new go-to cruise line for upper suite cruising...simply unbelievable.

• Like 1