Uber to airport after disembarking

BopRN

We will need an Uber to the airport after the cruise. This is new to us. When do you reserve the Uber since we never really know what time we will be actually off the ship? Do we wait until we are out of the terminal?

1 hour ago, BopRN said:

We will need an Uber to the airport after the cruise. This is new to us. When do you reserve the Uber since we never really know what time we will be actually off the ship? Do we wait until we are out of the terminal?

You can prebook Ubers but in this situation it’s easiest to just summon one on demand on the app when you’re ready.

• Like 1

Yes, get on the app as soon as you exit the terminal. We've used Uber in Port Everglades, San Juan, Vancouver, Seattle, Boston, and Miami. There's usually a car within minutes.

• Like 1

in port everglades,  we've found it easier to get a porter to help with your bags...he will help you get a taxi and the airport is literally just a few minutes away....much quicker and easier than dealing with an uber....that being said, we always grab an uber when going to the port on embarkation day

Speaking from recent experience, if you haven't already arranged an Uber ahead of time, don't even try it out of Port Canaveral. DW and I had both of our phones trying to get an Uber or Lyft for over an hour and got nothing. Ended up paying the extortionist cab $170 to MLB. There's only 1 cab company allowed in the port and they don't have enough vehicles on a busy day. They'll arrange a ride for you, but at crazy prices and wait times.  

• Thanks 1

There will likely be surge pricing as well. I keep both Uber and Lyft on my phone and compare prices between the two. I have seen Lyft as much as 50% cheaper at same time for same class of car. Most of the drivers drive for both anyway..

But yeah when you get off the ship you and hundreds of other people are on their phones for various reasons clogging up the bandwidth on the cell tower, so reception can be spotty!

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My only experience with an Uber in San Pedro is that it took forever to get one. We ended up taking a taxi (which, upon hindsight, was an illegal unlicensed taxi).

How did that happen? Is there a way to tell a legit taxi?

2 minutes ago, BopRN said:

How did that happen? Is there a way to tell a legit taxi?

It was us looking confused in the parking lot looking for a taxi, and a well dressed guy said "do you need a taxi?"

Sure we said. We were annoyed from waiting and ready to be home.

But while the guy was nice, the car was clean and nice, there was no meter and none of the typical ID hanging in the taxi.

I want to say that after our Navigator cruise from that port, we just walked out with our luggage and got in the taxi line and were in a taxi to the airport in no time.

42 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I want to say that after our Navigator cruise from that port, we just walked out with our luggage and got in the taxi line and were in a taxi to the airport in no time.

Do you remember the cost? We are going to LGB.

20 minutes ago, BopRN said:

Remember? no. But my CC statement says $75 (which included tip) 😁

We wen to LAX

We found it easiest out of Port Everglades to just get in the taxi line.  They had a line and someone from the port was assigning the cabs to the people in the line.  I don't recall the exact cost, but I think around $25.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It was us looking confused in the parking lot looking for a taxi, and a well dressed guy said "do you need a taxi?"

Sure we said. We were annoyed from waiting and ready to be home.

But while the guy was nice, the car was clean and nice, there was no meter and none of the typical ID hanging in the taxi.

The illegal taxi thing is a big hustle in San Pedro.  They know there won't be enough Ubers/Taxis so they go there and try to get rides off the books (which is illegal) with a huge upcharge.  The San Pedro port is out of the way, so there are not many Uber drivers in the vicinity in the first place.  And because the Nav docks on Mondays and Fridays you are competing with normal workday demand rather than usual Saturday/Sunday mornings. 

Since it is usually bedlam outside they just wait for someone to look confused/frustrated and they pounce.  We once had to wait 30 minutes for a legit Uber, so I got to see the whole thing in action.  Even talked with one of the drivers and he explained it to me.  He had a Suburban so he was waiting for the right whale to walk off the ship looking for something big who didn't want to wait.  He said he could make as much for that one ride as he could make doing multiple hours of Uber runs.  I didn't like the idea of jumping into a stranger's car in LA with no record of me doing so, but plenty of people didn't have an issue.  But then again I can't count the number of times I have done this in a port in foreign countries during cruises.

1 hour ago, BopRN said:

I think we paid $35 for UberX to LGB during the peak disembarking period.  Like I said in the previous post, we did have to wait 30 minutes and I think the driver changed 3 times while we were waiting.

8 minutes ago, mil76 said:

Since it is usually bedlam outside they just wait for someone to look confused/frustrated and they pounce.

Guilty.

At least we know for next time how to handle post-cruise transportation a bit more efficiently.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:26 PM, BopRN said:

We will need an Uber to the airport after the cruise.

Why will you "need" an Uber? You can use Uber, Lyft, a taxi, a shuttle, a town car..... anything you like, San Pedro has all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

We disembarked at San Pedro on Saturday about 9am. Got an Uber to our LAX hotel within 10 minutes, $28 +tip.

Lots of people waiting in the Lyft/Uber area with plenty cars coming to pick people up. I did hear a couple of guys walk through the area asking if anyone needed a ride.

6 hours ago, decrepit old man said:

How easy is it to walk out of the San Pedro cruise terminal and get an Uber nearby? I assume it'll be cheaper that way

We were there on December 23rd and got an Uber to pick us up within a few minutes.  We had a hard time getting Lyft to find us a ride, so we gave up with them.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Amy G said:

We were there on December 23rd and got an Uber to pick us up within a few minutes.  We had a hard time getting Lyft to find us a ride, so we gave up with them.

I meant walking off of the cruise terminal property and getting an Uber there instead of getting one at the terminal