Newbie to Regent (Help with choosing a cabin on Voyager and other tips)

Hi,

We are just about to press the button on booking a cruise on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager sailing next Jan 2025.

Cruise leaves from Singapore and finishes at Sydney. ( 18 nights)

Our deal is an entry level two grade room upgrade and wondered if any previous cruisers have any opinions on what cabin is best? There is still a lot of cabin choice available, we are conscious of the cabins that overlook the tender life boats so want to avoid these.

We also have a 3 night pre/post cruise land tour included and we think we will go for the 3 nights post tour in Sydney any one done this?

I have seen some included excursions that we would really like to book are these always available and how soon after booking can we secure these?

I have read mixed reviews about the Voyager ship which is a slight worry as this will be by far our most expensive cruise ever!

Any hints and tips will be most welcome.

Mklions.

Since it seems like excursions are important to you, I'd recommend getting at least a concierge level suite. Among other things it allows you to book excursions 12 months prior to the date of the cruise, which in your case would mean immediately. Otherwise you'll have to wait until May, I think, and some things may be booked up by then.

Voyager is the first Regent ship we cruised on, so we have a soft spot for her. It's been a while, but we'll be on it again in a few months. Check out the "Suite Guru" thread pinned to the top of this board for specific suite reviews.

Of our about 120+ days on Regent all but 19 of them have been on Voyager.   I agree wth cAPS that if excursions are important you should go for a concierge level suite in order to book your excursions at 360 days rather than having to wait.  

We have booked concierge level if we are going somewhere we are unfamiliar with and want the piece of mind of the transfers and 1 night hotel stay.  The farther the port is from the airport the more economical it is to use Regent transfers. 

We usually book on the deck  8 if available as I find it is the perfect location for walking up or down, as we almost never take the elevator. Also no public spaces above or below. 

If we are in concierge we book middle deck 8, if we are not we will usually book forward (though staying as close to the middle as we can) on deck 8.  Mind you the last cruise Jan 2024 we booked forward of the back stairs and found it to be a great location. Voyager has 2 entrances to Compass Rose so we could go down the aft stairs and there were fewer people. 

We always deviate regardless of what level suite we are in because even if we are in concierge with the 1 nght hotel stay we want to control airlines and schedules as much as possible as well as adding extra days before or after the cruise. 

Have a great cruise. 

If you feel you might be concerned about vibrations, I would suggest you avoid the Aft suites, there is a little more vibration on Voyager than all of the other ships (save of course for Navigator).

Other than that we really like her.

LP

agree with the concierge choice in addition you get :

• 5% savings on Pre- or Post-Cruise Hotel or Land Programs

• 5% savings on Regent Choice Shore Excursions

Not sure if you get the included pre or post cruise in the UK.

Personally I would pass on a pre cruise tour in Singapore.  It is a very easy place to do on your own and you can uber or do the hop on bus or the MRT and It is a safe city, and everyone speaks English.  You could book extra night at the ship hotel if you want the included transportation, but it is not expensive from the airport to downtown and to the port so you may save a good amount booking your own hotel.  You can do the gardens by the bay on your own very easily just prebook the dome tickets which are spectacular if you like gardens.  We stayed post crise on our own last February.    Just my 2 cents you may prefer to have it all preplanned.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

agree with the concierge choice in addition you get :

• 5% savings on Pre- or Post-Cruise Hotel or Land Programs

• 5% savings on Regent Choice Shore Excursions

Not sure if you get the included pre or post cruise in the UK.

Personally I would pass on a pre cruise tour in Singapore.  It is a very easy place to do on your own and you can uber or do the hop on bus or the MRT and It is a safe city, and everyone speaks English.  You could book extra night at the ship hotel if you want the included transportation, but it is not expensive from the airport to downtown and to the port so you may save a good amount booking your own hotel.  You can do the gardens by the bay on your own very easily just prebook the dome tickets which are spectacular if you like gardens.  We stayed post crise on our own last February.    Just my 2 cents you may prefer to have it all preplanned.    

All booked, and have taken the advice and booked a Concierge Suite cabin 913.

Apparently tomorrow when my TA receives the booking reference from Regent I will be able to book the excursions and the speciallity restaurants. Having a concierge suite gives us a pre night stay in Singapore ( hotel not yet confirmed) We also have a post 3 night stay in Sydney staying at the Four Seasons Hotel close to the harbour bridge!

Decided to arrange our own flights as we want to fly business and I feel I could get a better deal myself.

Thanks for all the help.

Millions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mklions said:

All booked, and have taken the advice and booked a Concierge Suite cabin 913.

Apparently tomorrow when my TA receives the booking reference from Regent I will be able to book the excursions and the speciallity restaurants. Having a concierge suite gives us a pre night stay in Singapore ( hotel not yet confirmed) We also have a post 3 night stay in Sydney staying at the Four Seasons Hotel close to the harbour bridge!

Decided to arrange our own flights as we want to fly business and I feel I could get a better deal myself.

Thanks for all the help.

Millions.

enjoy - We loved Bali

31 minutes ago, mklions said:

Really? Regent provides business class air in their fare. The amount they will give you for declining Regent Air is unlikely to cover your cost of purchasing independently. You might want to do the math before you commit.

1 minute ago, CJANDH said:

Really? Regent provides business class air in their fare. The amount they will give you for declining Regent Air is unlikely to cover your cost of purchasing independently. You might want to do the math before you commit.

Not always the case looking at Bclass from JNB to DFW dec 26th or 27th regent credit is $6500  2pax and I have found several airlines with one way fares from $5500 on up (QA, TK, AF ) with the usa carriers and BA it is still too far out.  I used amex miles to avisos for award the outbound DFWxDOHxCPT.  It is possible just have to search.  Not sure how much credit regent gives or how much they charge for UK/SIN and SYD/UK.  If you fly BA choose the plane careful so you can get the new business suites(777 A350 788 781) vs the old Club world (A380, 789) 

31 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Regent provides business class air in their fare.

Not for guests in the UK

1 hour ago, mklions said:

Before making that decision did you get a price and itinerary for each of the flights from Regent? Regent (UK) often provides a reasonable price for upgrading to Business.

If taking the air credit & booking your own flights be aware of the risks, especially if the flights you choose are non refundable .............. and the potential additional cost for one way tickets.

You will of course also have to arrange your own airport transfers.

We usually only arrange our own flights when using airmiles as the the tickets are refundable (less a small admin fee) and there is no premium for one way bookings.

Have a great cruise; an excellent itinerary 😎

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

I have had a bad experience recently with Silversea when choosing their door to door service which includes fights. The flight in question took me from London to Dakar via Istanbul. When I said to them that no way am I flying to Istanbul a extra 5 hours flying time they rearrange a more direct flight via but at much more cost. 

It appears that the cruise lines ( Silversea in this instance) picked the cheapest flight going , not taking in consideration the customers requirements wait times between flights or the flight duration.

Being able to choose my own airline and flight times is what I now prefer, plus I can shop around for the best deals.

Mklions