Making the Premier package worth it - top shelf cocktails

CrazyTrain2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Our initial cruise began in Dec and ended in Jan, with friends joining us on the last leg.

If cruising by yourself, it's extremely hard to justify that expensive package costing even $50 a day, no less $60 at todays prices.

(although there are ways to circumvent that cost)

So you're saying the package made financial sense for the last leg of the cruise? So there's situations where paying $60/day can be the better option?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

There are times when I can make it work to my advantage. 

Just buying into the plus package at $60 a day is really foolish for most people but may work for you depending on how much you can consume. 

Most people think they'll come out ahead and don't realize they're losing out each day. 

it's just one heck of a generalization to label it as "really foolish for most people" and that those people "don't realize they're losing out each day."  Your complete lack of confidence in people's abilities to make the proper decision is sad at best. 

It doesn't take much utilization of the package's features to make it worthwhile...I would venture to say there are probably more people that decline it due to initial sticker shock and then end up with a bigger bill at the end than the other way around.  Having said that, without any actual data to back up my claims I wouldn't presume to make such a massive generalization and state it as if it were fact.  Just my hypothesis.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, PMGS247 said:

Honestly I've been away for a couple months, for some odd reason my work decided to block the cruisecritic site around Christmas and then a few days ago basically via typo I ended up loading up the site and it worked so I'm back! I've been there though and I may catch back up quickly enough lol

Glad you came back to us!  Just the kind of member we need.  Looking forward to conversations.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

There are times when I can make it work to my advantage. 

Just buying into the plus package at $60 a day is really foolish for most people but may work for you depending on how much you can consume. 

Most people think they'll come out ahead and don't realize they're losing out each day. 

While I cannot speak for others, but as an avid RCCL cruiser, I have always purchased the Royal Replenish package (non alcohol including juices, premium coffee, water, sodas, etc.) along with WIFI and I am spending around $35.00 per day with RCCL. 

With the included tips from the plus package that means I can drink up to 15 alcohol drinks for around $8.00 so that is a no brainer and pretty darn good deal for me and my DW.

BUT, to each their own...just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

but be sure to order your 15 alcoholic drinks a day + numerous coffees & sodas, juices, waters, etc.

Speaking of waters, can someone tell me how many waters you can order at one time using one medallion?  Same with energy drinks?  I know with RCCL I can do two at a time. 

I usually try to stock up for the room and to pack in my backpack while in port.

Edited by cnice515
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

Speaking of waters, can someone tell me how many waters you can order at one time using one medallion?  Same with energy drinks?  I know with RCCL I can do two at a time. 

I usually try to stock up for the room and to pack in my backpack while in port.

I'm not sure of the max but I did get 2 Perrier's + 2 waters at once. 

Unless you have a tray it's difficult to carry much more.

Guest Snaxmuppet

I have never asked for more than 2 and never been refused. 🙂 

Like you we try to take back to the room a bottle every time we return to stock up. I find that with all the alcohol I drink I do get very dehydrated if I am not careful and so I always try to drink at least 3 of the 500ml bottles a day. I find that quite hard though... don't know why... 🙂 

Edited by Snaxmuppet

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I think that "most people" who purchase the package don't smuggle liquor onboard. I buy the package and don't smuggle. Works for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

No, sorry to disappoint you. We tip the "recommended" amount plus other incentives besides. 

Just trying to figure out the fuzzy math. But I will take issue with your claim of "Most People".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cnice515 said:

Pretty sure they won't push back on 2 at a time but stuff like that can be inconsistent.

Despite always having a package, my wife and I still order the 12-pack of water pre-cruise so we already have a stockpile in the room when we arrive.. It's only $7 and way more convenient than having to manage a stockpile by remembering to pick it up before we come back to the room every time. If it were much more expensive I'd say I'll pass I can get it for free at the bar but for $7 it's worth the convenience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PMGS247 said:

Pretty sure they won't push back on 2 at a time but stuff like that can be inconsistent.

Despite always having a package, my wife and I still order the 12-pack of water pre-cruise so we already have a stockpile in the room when we arrive.. It's only $7 and way more convenient than having to manage a stockpile by remembering to pick it up before we come back to the room every time. If it were much more expensive I'd say I'll pass I can get it for free at the bar but for $7 it's worth the convenience.

Great idea, thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

We have Premier package on our next cruise and I still purchased the water.  So inexpensive and convenient.  If I wake up in the night I can still grab a bottle and not run out.

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
19 minutes ago, 555 said:

Why purchase water if you have a premium package? 

You can have it brought to your cabin at no charge anyway.

It isn't expensive and it does save having to order or remember to bring it back.

We have done both previously. Next time we are not ordering but we may regret that decision if we keep forgetting to bring some back each day.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:38 PM, CRLess said:

On the Premier package you can ask for a double of any of the non-top shelf liquors and it only counts as one drink.  I'm a Beefeater guy and got doubles on our voyage on the Ruby last month with no upcharge.

I think the only way I found this to be true was for martinis.  I could get a standard Lemon Drop martini as 1 drink, even though it's automatically poured as a double, but if I wanted Grey Goose instead, they charged me for 2 drinks on my premier package.

This is how I actually made it to 15 drinks for the first time.. but no regrets were had.  🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

It isn't expensive and it does save having to order or remember to bring it back.

We have done both previously. Next time we are not ordering but we may regret that decision if we keep forgetting to bring some back each day.

thanks for the drinks ... when you have time, can I have 2 beers and 2 Pelligrinos to take back to the cabin?  Thanks

as we leave the final bar and head to the cabin ... Every.Single.Night.

and prolly have 3-4 beers and 3-4 waters already in the fridge from the day drinking

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Exactly!  It’s just convenient and for less than $10.00 for the entire cruise, it’s a bargain.  I like no brainers! 

38 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I decided to just book a cabin within a stones throw of a bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, voljeep said:

thanks for the drinks ... when you have time, can I have 2 beers and 2 Pelligrinos to take back to the cabin?  Thanks

and prolly have 3-4 beers and 3-4 waters already in the fridge from the day drinking

Was just going to write the exact same thing. If there is any room left on our 15pp limit.... canned beers or seltzers for the "room" to get close to the cap on the way back to the room at night.

40 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Yeah, but for less than $10 for the entire cruise, it’s just a back up in case of unexpected necessity.  If we use it all that’s fine, if not I could care less.

I get one or two bottles of San Pellegrino to go every night when I head back to the room. I find a San Pellegrino to be a good thing to drink before bed. We are not fans of plastic water bottles but do tend to grab one or two to take ashore. We have no need for a stash of water bottles in the cabin. My wife just drinks the tap water on ice and is fine with it.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I get one or two bottles of San Pellegrino to go every night when I head back to the room. I find a San Pellegrino to be a good thing to drink before bed. We are not fans of plastic water bottles but do tend to grab one or two to take ashore. We have no need for a stash of water bottles in the cabin. My wife just drinks the tap water on ice and is fine with it.

I’m going to be honest with you guys.  I put the extra bottles I purchase on ice or in the fridge to keep cold.  I have plantar fasciitis and painful knees.  I use the bottles of cold water to roll my heels over to get relief and I use them to ice my knees.  We don’t drink the water lol.  It’s for medical purposes and I just keep reusing the same bottles over and over.  So, now you know the ugly truth!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 12:42 PM, Lady Arwen said:

I’m going to be honest with you guys.  I put the extra bottles I purchase on ice or in the fridge to keep cold.  I have plantar fasciitis and painful knees.  I use the bottles of cold water to roll my heels over to get relief and I use them to ice my knees.  We don’t drink the water lol.  It’s for medical purposes and I just keep reusing the same bottles over and over.  So, now you know the ugly truth!

Does that qualify as infused water?

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:55 AM, cnice515 said:

We have ordered up to 12 bottles of water in the room and it was covered in the package.  
We did this over the phone and the fee for using the phone for room service is waived with the package anyway.  One time, they must have been low on waters or thought maybe we were sharing because they limited us to six bottles.  Certainly, getting two at a time would not be a problem.  They will have a water bottle table in warmer climates to grab one or two on your way out in port.  
Not sure about energy drinks but we oftentimes would stop at Vines before going to dinner and they will give you a double pour without any issue.