Any Royal Princess experts out there??

drpclarke

Please?? 😁

I am a travel agent and I have booked a group on Royal Princess. Unfortunately, I haven't been on this ship, so I'm at a disadvantage in answering their questions!

One of the clients has many questions, and I'm hoping you all can answer:

1. This is an Alaskan sailing going Seattle RT. He thinks the port side is the best side because he'll have views of the glaciers, etc. more often than he would should his cabin was on the other side of ship. Thoughts?

2. He wants to do Penthouse suite. They are available on decks 12, 14, and 15. However, he has heard that on deck 14 and 15 that those on penthouse balconies can look up and see people above them looking down. Anyone have thoughts on that?

3. In addition, he has heard that soot is a problem on the ship, so the upper deck (especially in the back of the ship) can get a light coat of soot and it can be problematic. This was the first I've heard! Anyone know anything?

If you have any opinions on where best location of penthouse suite would be, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Rachel

Hope this helps:

1. Either side of the ship is good for Alaska. The ship totally turns around so the view is equal for all of the cabins.

2. Penthouse suites that are on the sides of the ship (in the #600’s) are only on Deck 14 (Riviera).

The other suites are aft corner suites. (See deck plans on Princess website).

3. We are stayed in aft suites many times.  Once in a while we would have a little soot but the steward would wipe it down each day.  The side penthouse suites (see above) would not get any soot.

12 minutes ago, drpclarke said:

Please?? 😁

I am a travel agent and I have booked a group on Royal Princess. Unfortunately, I haven't been on this ship, so I'm at a disadvantage in answering their questions!

1. This is an Alaskan sailing going Seattle RT. He thinks the port side is the best side because he'll have views of the glaciers, etc. more often than he would should his cabin was on the other side of ship. Thoughts?

2. He wants to do Penthouse suite. They are available on decks 12, 14, and 15. However, he has heard that on deck 14 and 15 that those on penthouse balconies can look up and see people above them looking down. Anyone have thoughts on that?

3. In addition, he has heard that soot is a problem on the ship, so the upper deck (especially in the back of the ship) can get a light coat of soot and it can be problematic. This was the first I've heard! Anyone know anything?

If you have any opinions on where best location of penthouse suite would be, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Rachel

Roundtrip, doesn't really matter which side. Whet they see in the way up is what's seen on the way back down.. In the scenic cruising spots, the ship does a slow spin, and best views are from open decks, not necessarily balconies.  

If you're talking aft suites, yea, people above can look down and see you when they're standing at they're railings and you're standing at yours.

If you're talking Penthouse suites in the side of the ship, that's 14, deck where concierge lounge is located.. Riviera... No, no one can look into your balcony, fully covered. 

Soot problem has been mostly solved with better scrubbers and such. There will be mats at the two entrance doors from the balcony and cabin steward will wipe things down daily. Don't sit on the furniture in anything you're worried about, put a towel over the seat and back to be extra careful. 

13 minutes ago, drpclarke said:

This is a problem for all aft balconies of Royal Class ships because the aft decks are terraced.  Passengers standing on the outside aft of the Lido deck can look down on to the aft balconies. 

17 minutes ago, drpclarke said:

The soot from the exhaust smoke has to go somewhere and what goes up, must come down.  The aft facing balconies are in the direct line of fire.  BUT, it all depends on which way the wind is blowing.  The soot, when it is present is everywhere--on the balcony railing, the balcony furniture, and balcony floor.  I used pool towels and placed them on top of the furniture before I sat down, replacing them everyday.  It's part of the steward's duty to wipe down the balcony every day.  There's usually a floor mat at the balcony door so you can wipe the soles of your shoes before re-entering your cabin from the balcony (at least that was the case when I was assigned a Premium Deluxe Balcony). 

The outdoor tobacco smoking area of the ship is starboard, aft of  Deck 7.  The smell of tobacco smoke can be bothersome, the closer the cabin is to this area.

2 hours ago, drpclarke said:

Please?? 😁

Thanks!!

Rachel

We have been on many Alaska cruises, always with Princess (including on the Royal).   If the cruise is going to Glacier Bay, we always get a balcony on the starboard side.  This is because the ship enters Glacier Bay early in the morning and I get up early and watch the sunrise from our balcony.  It is so peaceful.  

Sory, I can't comment on your other questions because we have not stayed in a penthouse suite.

1. Port versus starboard makes next to no difference.

2. See images.

3. Soot has been observed, yes. Soot has been observed on many ships. See image.

image.png.9c592d204d81a77e8cc9d971df56e2e2.png

image.thumb.png.29bf7ae48a476ab5f98dca38dc2d8d40.png

image.png.26554f0ff97a79a7abbe0dab2bcaa9ac.png

Image credit to other CC posters via Google search.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Thanks 1

The Royal has a concierge that is located near the Penthouse suites who assists those in full suites.  Full suites eat in Reserve Class (formerly Club Class) in a special area and generally there is no waiting to be seated and no reservations are required.  Also, breakfast for full suites can be in Sabatinnis restaurant with mimosas available and is considered a step above the Reserve Class breakfasts.  Suites receive a mini bar setup.  Also, priority port embarkation.  Various other items are available.  First night specialty dinner is complimentary.  You should review the full suite benefits on the Princess web-site.  

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

1. The whales are always on the opposite side.

And when everyone rushes to that side of the ship, it noticeably tips in that direction. 😁 and if the crew joins you could be in danger of rolling over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Of all of those I would take deck 14 / Riviera deck.  It has a bigger balcony than deck 12.  It's slightly smaller than deck 15 but you are one deck removed from a public deck and on the same deck as the Suite Concierge lounge (love the nightly happy hours!).  We were in one of the aft suites on Baja deck last month that had a bit of cover.  There was a tiny amount of soot but not nearly as bad as when we were on Aloha deck on the Royal years prior.  It really does depend on lots of things including which way the wind is blowing.  The stewards are usually good about keeping things tidy out on this balcony when it does happen.  This is a wonderful suite location, especially for Alaska.