Willdra's Paramount Carnival Panorama October 15-21 Cruise

willdra

We wanted to do the comedy show after dinner but we missed it, since dinner was a little lengthy. There was another show at 10, but it directly competed with the White Hot Party in the atrium lobby at 10:30. We opted to do the White Hot Party even tho we were not in White nor Hot attire. I packed my white dress but W forgot to pack his white clothes. Nobody was shocked.

Before the party, Gerry with a G (SN: maybe don't call him that to his face. It's a nickname I made up so that I could remember him) came out and the cast did the Celestial Strings After Party Show. They are so good. I highly recommend that show.  We didn’t go see it this time but I was sad about it when the cast came out. They are so talented.

We enjoyed shaking our groove thang at the party. The music  was comprised of random songs picked out by the Cruise Director. It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed the nostalgic atmosphere. Gerry chose some bangers.

After it was over we went back to the cabin to get situated for one more port day.

IMG_4310-L.jpg

IMG_4321-L.jpg

IMG_4326-L.jpg

IMG_4329-L.jpg

IMG_4331-L.jpg

IMG_4345-L.jpg

IMG_4354-L.jpg

IMG_4358-L.jpg

IMG_4367-L.jpg

IMG_4371-L.jpg

IMG_4376-L.jpg

IMG_4374-L.jpg

IMG_4333-L.jpg

IMG_4341-L.jpg

IMG_4348-L.jpg

IMG_4349-L.jpg

• Like 11

Before I fell asleep I said a prayer thanking God that I have never been attacked by a honey badger. The name honey badger doesn’t even sound bad. That name sounds like a honey badger would just fight honey, on sight. However, I watched a video recently of a honey badger (allegedly) giving a man the business. It looked like nasty work that I wanted zero parts of. Honey badgers fight like hood rats, and I am so blessed that I’ve never met one in person. My God don’t play about me. Amen.

IMG_4214-L.jpg

IMG_4215-L.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

@willdra DH and I have the talk about where we were and now here we are.  We were so, so broke in the early days and now here we are comfortable and able to take lovely vacations.  It's odd how it happens, one day you're checking over every item in your grocery cart, balancing the bank statements, staying up nights trying to figure out how to pay a bill and then slowly it starts to get better.  I still remember going into a gas station in 1996 and buying a soda since I was thirsty. A really big deal as money for something like that was absolutley not available up to that point. 

Your review has decided me, we need to do another Panorama or Firenzia cruise before we leave California.  We're buying in Latitudes Hilton Head so need to take care of our west coast cruises before the move.

• Like 10

I am so glad I found your review !! Your pictures are fabulous and your sense of humor is the best !! I have read all your past reviews and am always looking for a new one ! I do wish you two would cruise more often !! I need the entertainment !  Thanks for taking the time and energy to write this review . I love it ! I hope some day I can meet you and we can sail together !

• Like 2

Ensenada Day

I jumped up at 9am. I suddenly remembered that Blue Iguana closed at 10. This was prolly my last chance for arepas and huevos rancheros on this voyage, so it was imperative that I didn't miss it. Oh yeah it was also my birthday! Whoop whoop!

I glanced out of the balcony windows, and t was very very foggy. There was zero visibility, and it was chilly. I’d left my options open on my attire for the day, cuz I didn’t know what the weather was gonna do. Finally, I decided to go with long pants and closed toe shoes. I hoped that I didn't regret it. West coast weather can be a tricky tricky temptress. Soon enough we would see if she put me in the okie doke or not.

W had my gifts laid out for me as usual, so after I got partially ready, I opened them up. Both of us knew it would take me longer to get ready after that. W was so gracious, he went to Blue Iguana for me so that I could finish up. Shortly after he left, he sent me a message telling me the lines were crazy. A few minutes later when he text me and asked what meat I wanted, I thought “Houston. We have a problem”. There’s no meat choice for the huevos rancheros, and there better not be one for the arepas. I quickly sent a reply telling him he should be on the other side, not the burrito line. His reply confirmed that he was in fact in the burrito line. He said the other line was longer. Huh? For why?

I finished getting ready. Then I did a fit check and the fit was fresh, so I left to join him at 9:40.

IMG_4377-L.jpg

• Like 10

W was STILL in line when I got there, and I saw why. The servers were individually making the huevos rancheros, and it was an exercise in inefficiency. Peeps were getting 3 or 4 at a time with different combinations of ingredients. This is why Jesus wept. That line was a disaster.  

When it was my turn, I got my standard order sans the egg, then I got out of that foolishness expeditiously. I already knew W would be in the omelet line. I went there next to find out where we were sitting. He'd picked out a table in the middle. I got coffee then went to the table to wait for W to bring my omelet. While I was waiting, I turned off airplane mode on my phone and it lit up with all kinds of birthday notifications. I truly felt the love from lots of people. My life matters.

IMG_4379-L.jpg

IMG_4382-L.jpg

IMG_4384-L.jpg

IMG_4386-L.jpg

IMG_4388-L.jpg

IMG_4390-L.jpg

IMG_4392-L.jpg

IMG_4394-L.jpg

IMG_4396-L.jpg

• Like 10

There was still plenty of time left to meet our excursion after breakfast. W forgot something in the cabin, so we went back there before disembarking. I took that time to pop an antacid. We were doing the Wine Country Tour that day, and all of that red wine would remand me to heartburn hades if I didn’t take anything to fight it. Hopefully the old "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" theory would apply.

We walked down to exit the vessel around 10:45. The plan was to go and check out the port before meeting our excursion. We looked out of a window before we officially exited the ship tho. Uh uh. There really wasn’t anything out there. It looked like we would have to walk all the way out of the port to find anything interesting. Hard pass. When we got off of the ship, we sat down on a bench and took a few pics. It was time to line up at 11:15.

IMG_4411-L.jpg

• Like 8

We boarded the bus which was large, comfortable, and cool. When we drove out of the port, I could really see that we made the right choice by not walking out of the port. There was nothing out there until we made it all the way outside of the port area. The only spots that I saw out there was a liquor store, and a Carl's Jr.

Um nope. The Ensenada govt. must not allow shops in the port or sum. Unattractive. 

IMG_4438-L.jpg

IMG_4444-L.jpg

IMG_4445-L.jpg

IMG_4446-L.jpg

IMG_4447-L.jpg

IMG_4448-L.jpg

• Like 7

The ride to the first winery, L. A. Cetto was about an hour. Chris was the tour guide on the bus. He talked almost the whole drive up there. There were way too many words. 

IMG_4469-L.jpg

IMG_4470-L.jpg

IMG_4486-L.jpg

IMG_4493-L.jpg

IMG_4499-L.jpg

IMG_4501-L.jpg

IMG_4502-L.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Our visit included a guided vineyard tour and lots of information. Roberto was our guide on the property. He told us that Don Angelo Cetto started the winery in 1928, and L. A. Cetto is the largest winery in Mexico. During the tour, we went inside to see some of the grape processing. It was loud in there so we didn’t stay long. We also went to see some of the barrels, and we even walked out into the vineyard. The last part was the wine tasting, and it was also organized.

IMG_4505-L.jpg

IMG_4508-L.jpg

IMG_4510-L.jpg

IMG_4511-L.jpg

IMG_4513-L.jpg

IMG_4515-L.jpg

• Like 9

We got instructions on everything, even down to how to hold the wine glass. If you did it wrong, they called you out on it. Shame. No games were played at this winery. They stood on business. Periodt. The staff took pride in teaching visitors the correct way to enjoy their wine.

At the end of the tasting, we were each given a small bottle of wine. Next, we went inside to purchase wine and other souvenirs. I got a bottle of Chenin Blanc. It was $8. I was mad that I didn’t realize how inexpensive it was until she rang it up. I would’ve gotten 2 bottles and some olive oil, had I known. The prices were in pesos. My bad.

The line behind me was long, and I didn’t think I would have time to go back for more wine, then get in line again. We were cutting it too close to the time that we were supposed to get back on the bus. Sometimes being responsible sucks.

IMG_4582-L.jpg

IMG_4585-L.jpg

IMG_4588-L.jpg

IMG_4591-L.jpg

IMG_4597-L.jpg

IMG_4600-L.jpg

IMG_4601-L.jpg

IMG_4603-L.jpg

IMG_4605-L.jpg

IMG_4606-L.jpg

IMG_4607-L.jpg

IMG_4609-L.jpg

IMG_4610-L.jpg

IMG_4612-L.jpg

IMG_4614-L.jpg

IMG_4616-L.jpg

• Like 7

I completed my purchase then W and I got back on the bus. After everyone boarded, we left to go to the next spot. The second location, La Casa de Dona Lupe, was about 5 minutes away from the first. This was also a vastly different experience. We walked off of the bus and went inside a large store/tasting room.

IMG_4635-L.jpg

IMG_4640-L.jpg

• Like 4

As we walked in, they gave us all a wine flight with 4 wines. Since this wasn't a "formal" tasting, they had the wine bottles lined up on the counter, so we could see which ones we had. We were basically on our own. Solo dolo. They gave us chips, salsa, guacamole, bread, and pizza. It was giving “everybody’s so creative”. We weren't really told much about the wine or "winery" at all.

In my most humble opinion, the second winery should’ve been first. We would’ve had no (or very low) expectations of L.A. Cetto, had we visited them last. They would've blown us away after visiting La Casa de Dona Lupe, and it wouldn't have been hard. There was no competition between the two places.

IMG_4642-L.jpg

IMG_4643-L.jpg

IMG_4645-L.jpg

IMG_4649-L.jpg

IMG_4653-L.jpg

• Like 6

Inside the store, there were lots and lots of herbs. Some were pre-packaged, some were in Ziplock type sandwich bags, and some were in bunches. I snapped a few pics and sent them to my team to tell me what some of the items were used for. I had questions. Their replies to me were hilarious, and told me exactly what I needed to know. You're done.

W and I quickly tasted the wine, bought a couple of things from the store, then dipped out.

After everyone got back on the bus, we rode back to port around 3. Chris gave us more info on the ride back. How sway? There were more words to be said about this area? Ok den.

It was a great tour overall. I would absolutely do it again. They could also cut out the second portion, and it would still be a nice excursion.

IMG_4667-L.jpg

IMG_4669-L.jpg

IMG_4672-L.jpg

IMG_4673-L.jpg

IMG_4674-L.jpg

• Like 7

When we got back on the ship, we had to check in the wine that we bought, and the two free bottles that were given to us. For real? There wasn't another sea day after this. We were literally almost back in the U.S. We asked why, and we were told “Your cabin steward will bring it to you this evening.” Seriously? You’re gonna keep my little baby wine bottles for 2 hours? Alright then. Whatevs. So W checked it all in, and we pressed the button for an elevator. Next we dropped off our bags then went to the deli on Lido. That was one venue we hadn’t visited on this cruise.

The ladies working the deli were very fast. They had a good system going to keep the line moving. It worked. No complaints.

The food was very good. Those workers in the deli were cooking cooking. We ate quick then went back to start packing. This is where it hit me. This wonderful journey was coming to an end. To that, I say "Boooooooo". 6 days is not enough. Even with the Disneyland Day added in.

IMG_4688-L.jpg

IMG_4689-L.jpg

IMG_4691-L.jpg

IMG_4693-L.jpg

IMG_4697-L.jpg

IMG_4698-L.jpg

IMG_4699-L.jpg

• Like 6

It didn’t take long for us to get organized. I left my clothes (except my dresses) in my packing cubes, so I just had to zip them up, and toss them in the suitcase. We had lots of room in our bags when we embarked, we hadn't purchased a lot of stuff, so we knew we would be ok.

W and I packed everything that we could, to minimize having to carry stuff the next day. We keep a medium sized suitcase with us for all of the stuff that we will still need for the next 12 or so hours. This helps a lot, and it minimizes the risk of us having to wear 2 or 3 layers of clothes off the ship cuz we didn't have enough room in a small bag. Hobos we are not. Most of the time.

IMG_4702-L.jpg

IMG_4704-L.jpg

IMG_4705-L.jpg

• Like 7

At about 6:30, the steward brought our wine. W threw the bottles in the suitcase, and we were done. We had nothing left to do after that, but shower and check in for dinner. So that's what we did.

There was no wait time again for dinner. We got down to the dining room at 7:20. I ordered the Parched Pig Ale and Cheddar Soup, Braised Beef Brisket, and Warm Chocolate Melting Cake with Butter Pecan Ice Cream. W got the same soup, but he got the Coffee Glazed Roast Duck. My meal was good and W’s duck was spectacular. It was very tender and juicy with a good sauce. I made a note to get it the next time. Now whether or not I will remember to read that note, is another story entirely. Don't judge me. 

IMG_4722-L.jpg

IMG_4723-L.jpg

IMG_4724-L.jpg

IMG_4725-L.jpg

IMG_4726-L.jpg

IMG_4718-L.jpg

IMG_4719-L.jpg

IMG_4721-L.jpg

• Like 7