Stateroom attendant

43 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

This was on a different cruise line and I was sailing solo. It didn't bother me. Just found it odd. He actually left me a VM to introduce himself.

Agree, odd. I guess as long as you don't have any special request and the stateroom attendant is taking care of your stateroom and you're satisfied, that's all that really matters. We've occasionally left a note for other things during the cruise and our requests have always been honored.  

22 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I am aware. I was merely making an observation that things are not the same and the stewards are clearly working much harder than in the past.

It was never about "chatting", but about being able to make eye contact and ask for things you need instead of phoning or grabbing any random crew member in the hall. I do think it's courteous to get to know the name of my room steward and to be able to let them know in person how much I appreciate their hard work.

We agree and we are always cordial to anyone that takes care of us on a cruise. It goes a long way when you are nice to others. So I agree with you, nice to say hi and give appreciation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

nice to say hi and give appreciation.

Totally agree.  If we were ever to experience not getting to speak with our stateroom attendant for the first day introduction and special requests shortly after embarking we'd make a phone call NLT that evening of the first day requesting their appearance. So far that has never happened. We have always had great service with lots of smiles and laughs. Sometime some tears (from my wife).  One request we always have is extra hangers. Never enough. So first day is a must to meet with the stateroom attendant. We've noticed on any of our post covid cruises the stateroom attendant hasn't left their personal info card. We asked and have been provided one. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, doghog said:

Totally agree.  If we were ever to experience not getting to speak with our stateroom attendant for the first day introduction and special requests shortly after embarking we'd make a phone call NLT that evening of the first day requesting their appearance. So far that has never happened. We have always had great service with lots of smiles and laughs. Sometime some tears (from my wife).  One request we always have is extra hangers. Never enough. So first day is a must to meet with the stateroom attendant. We've noticed on any of our post covid cruises the stateroom attendant hasn't left their personal info card. We asked and have been provided one. 

That’s the trick - just ask. Works every time for us.

• Thanks 1

On our last nine night trip, we or at least I, never once met ours.  Didn't bother us one bit, room was taken care of, that's all that mattered to us.

• Like 1

I've always met our room attendant.   They usually come to the door right after boarding and introduce themself.    They also leave their card with name and phone number.   If I should need anything I usually just give them a ring or if something not urgent I leave a note on the bed before dinner and they take care of it at their leisure.  

• Like 3

One reason you may not see as much of your cabin attendant is they are REALLY busy..  We just got off the Equinox from a nine day cruise.  Our cabin attendant told us she is responsible for 19 cabins and no longer has an assistant to help her.  Every time we passed her in the hallway, she was immersed in cleaning something.  Still, she managed to be pleasant, competent and all requests were promptly addressed.  My husband and I stand in awe of these folks..

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 9:56 AM, lv2cruisgrl said:

They usually introduce themselves within the first 24 to 48 hours. However we have noticed on our last cruise that they were super busy. It seemed like they were shorthanded.  Our room steward was working sometimes to 9pm.  He always looked exhausted. 

We’ve had similar experience and haven’t figured out if they’re not as visible because

a) they are super busy due to less staff

b) Covid made them less likely to interact frequently

c) both of the above 

Reason to suspect b) is some don’t hand shake anymore and will only do fist pump

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cruise till you drop said:

We’ve had similar experience and haven’t figured out if they’re not as visible because

a) they are super busy due to less staff

b) Covid made them less likely to interact frequently

c) both of the above 

Reason to suspect b) is some don’t hand shake anymore and will only do fist pump

I think it's because they are over worked. Once a few days pass and we say hi a few times they seem to relax and enjoy a daily how how are you!

• Like 1