Italy Shore Excursions

RevivalFire

Hello there, I'm seeking advice for an upcoming Norwegian cruise in April. It will mainly cover Italy, including several popular destinations, as well as two stops in Croatia and one in Greece. I'm quite excited about it!

I've been checking out shore excursions on the website shoreexcursions. I'm wondering if these tours are worth the price. In the past, I've booked boat excursions and used shoreexcursions, Viator, or simply explored on my own. I'd like to know about your experiences and how you navigated Italy! Thanks in advance for your time.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Here you go: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

You don't mention which ports in Italy,  but be aware that the port the ship docks at is often (usually) up to a couple of hours away  from the actual  place most cruisers want to see.

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find it so I do appreciate it! Here are the ports 

Rome

Florance/Pisa

Naples

Messina

Valletta Malta

Siracusa

Corfu Greece

Sarande Albania

Kotor Montenegro Trieste

(Then I think we will travel to Venice for a couple of nights. Can’t be this close and not!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

Here you go: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

You don't mention which ports in Italy,  but be aware that the port the ship docks at is often (usually) up to a couple of hours away  from the actual  place most cruisers want to see.

Acouple hours away? That might be a little exaggerated...

11 hours ago, RevivalFire said:

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find it so I do appreciate it! Here are the ports 

Rome

Florance/Pisa

Naples

Messina

Valletta Malta

Siracusa

Corfu Greece

Sarande Albania

Kotor Montenegro Trieste

(Then I think we will travel to Venice for a couple of nights. Can’t be this close and not!!

Sounds like a great cruise, 

For Florence we did a private tour with Papillon which was fantastic, did it with a few members of our roll call, I would sign up for roll call asap.

Naples , I suggest a trip to Pompeii which was amazing, make sure you get back in time for pizza in the city where it was created.

Kotor is a delightful walled city , tender will leave you a very short walk from entrance, no tour is needed just walk around and enjoy several restaurants.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Acouple hours away? That might be a little exaggerated...

I said UP TO a couple of hours away. And depending on mode of travel (bus, car, train). Livorno to Florence vs La Spezia to Florence. Trieste or Ravenna to Venice. Even Civit. to Rome is going to be an hour . At least the Naples dock is actually in Naples. Those who have cruised outside of the US and Caribbean are aware of how may ports are distant from the main sites of interest. But this is often news to those less well traveled than yourself

57 minutes ago, George C said:

For Florence we did a private tour with Papillon which was fantastic, did it with a few members of our roll call, I would sign up for roll call asap.

Naples , I suggest a trip to Pompeii which was amazing, make sure you get back in time for pizza in the city where it was created.

Kotor is a delightful walled city , tender will leave you a very short walk from entrance, no tour is needed just walk around and enjoy several restaurants.

Thanks, George! I am not familiar with the term roll call, what is that, and how do I sign up

33 minutes ago, mom says said:

I said UP TO a couple of hours away. And depending on mode of travel (bus, car, train). Livorno to Florence vs La Spezia to Florence. Trieste or Ravenna to Venice. Even Civit. to Rome is going to be an hour . At least the Naples dock is actually in Naples. Those who have cruised outside of the US and Caribbean are aware of how may ports are distant from the main sites of interest. But this is often news to those less well traveled than yourself

Yes, when my wife and I did Europe once we learned how far away many of the ports were from the city!! We have cruised about 14 times mostly the Caribbean and pretty much all Princess (also have done Australia! Loved that one), this will be our first Norwegian and our first time to the Mediterranean  

3 minutes ago, RevivalFire said:

Thanks, George! I am not familiar with the term roll call, what is that, and how do I sign up

This is the general link , you need to first find your ship then the date of sailing and hopefully you can meet some fellow passengers 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/66-norwegian-cruise-line-roll-calls/

1 hour ago, George C said:

Good stuff.  Another fun option from Naples is the ferry boat to Capri.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevivalFire said:

found it! Appreciate the tip! 

If you're into that other social media group (FB) you might want to search the groups for your sailing. They usually have much more activity that this sites roll calls.

CC roll calls used to be the crown jewels for gatherings but CC hasn't stayed up with the rapid and everchanging landscape in the technology or demographic world..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If you're into that other social media group (FB) you might want to search the groups for your sailing. They usually have much more activity that this sites roll calls.

CC roll calls used to be the crown jewels for gatherings but CC hasn't stayed up with the rapid and everchanging landscape in the technology or demographic world..

Great! thanks for the tip I will look into it

You don't necessarily need a tour at every port.  If you do some research you'll find that many ports and activities can be done DIY.  There are a few books specific to Med cruises; check the travel section of your library.  The books provide information on history of each port, things to do, places to go, tours and DIY options. ie Rick Steves has Mediterranean Cruise Ports. 

There are also locations where you may prefer to have the knowledge of a professional guide to accompany you.

We did Rome, Florence/Pisa, Corfu on our own using buses, trains, and taxis.

For Naples we hired a private driver for the day to take us along the Amalfi Coast.

Enjoy your research and planning.

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

You don't necessarily need a tour at every port.  If you do some research you'll find that many ports and activities can be done DIY.  There are a few books specific to Med cruises; check the travel section of your library.  The books provide information on history of each port, things to do, places to go, tours and DIY options. ie Rick Steves has Mediterranean Cruise Ports. 

There are also locations where you may prefer to have the knowledge of a professional guide to accompany you.

We did Rome, Florence/Pisa, Corfu on our own using buses, trains, and taxis.

For Naples we hired a private driver for the day to take us along the Amalfi Coast.

Enjoy your research and planning.

Thank you so much for the tips!

I would also not necessarily rule out ship's excursions.  consider all options.   We used to do exclusively independent excursions but for the last couple years we have been migrating back to ship's excursions for some ports.   I have found the price difference is not as great as it used to be.  Also, each of our last 3 cruises had at least one port where there was a "problem" with getting off of the ship.  Too long of a story to write here, but an example is  gangways that don't fit the ship and they had to travel get an alternate gangway (unbelievable !).   In any event, in these cases, it was 1-2 hour delays to get off ship and priority was given to people with ship's excursions booked, and it was enforced.  I just feel that cruise lines are stating to do more of this - giving perks and priority to their own excursion customers.    (Sort of like Disney World allowing guests at Disney resorts to book their spot for the new Star Wars ride beginning at 7:30 am but everyone else can't log in until 8:30 am at which time reservations are all taken!)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RevivalFire said:

Thanks so much!! We are having some issues navigating Norwegians website. I am sure it is just getting used to it. Excursions are so easy to find on Princess site but they make it a little more tough! 

My experience with NCL website and excursion booking has been frustrating.   Missing excursions, no excursions listed, wrong languages listed, etc.   However the excursions themselves once on board went off without any issues and were managed well I thought. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2024 at 8:23 AM, George C said:

This is the general link , you need to first find your ship then the date of sailing and hopefully you can meet some fellow passengers 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/66-norwegian-cruise-line-roll-calls/

On 2/13/2024 at 12:34 PM, CCJack said:

My experience with NCL website and excursion booking has been frustrating.   Missing excursions, no excursions listed, wrong languages listed, etc.   However the excursions themselves once on board went off without any issues and were managed well I thought. 

For the most part roll calls are pretty dead, we have an upcoming cruise in June and there’s not much info there. It used to be you would find more private tour information and join other groups on your cruise. No longer the case. I think people are using other social media platforms that I don’t use.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, realnice46 said:

For the most part roll calls are pretty dead, we have an upcoming cruise in June and there’s not much info there. It used to be you would find more private tour information and join other groups on your cruise. No longer the case. I think people are using other social media platforms that I don’t use.

I agree roll calls are not what they used to be , still worth checking out, wife does look at them on Facebook which I don’t use.