Experienced traveler, first-time cruiser

I have been around the world, mostly solo, including places like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Australia. I've been to the UK about 25 times (heading back next month) but have never wanted to take a cruise, especially solo. A cousin is going on her first cruise on NCL Breakaway to NE/Canada and I'm basically a bit worn out from hiking around cities so I thought I would join the cruise. I booked with Expedia instead of NCL as the price was the same and I'm an Expedia Platinum member and could use the points. One thing I am used to is the price of things; if I book a hotel or airfare I know exactly what the cost will be and what I am getting. Frankly, as I research this cruise, I am overwhelmed as I don't really know what to expect price-wise. The Free At Sea drinks package costs $152 in gratuities (not very free) and it seems that without it I am still able to get complimentary iced tea, water, and basic hot beverages, which are fine. I can do without the "free" stuff. However, what about gratuities? I don't see anything explaining if they are included ("free" specialty dining gratuity is paid for as I want to try a restaurant). Is it part of the fare? Is it added on somewhere later? Is it my choice to leave in cash? (I'm starting to get a headache.) My cousin mentioned some sort of seafood extravaganza onboard, how do I find out what the day-to-day stuff is like? I know NCL is casual (I wouldn't go otherwise), but are jeans acceptable in the dining rooms?

Gratuities are separate. Called DSC...Daily Service Charge, (or Discretionary Service Charge...okay, not really. But wanted to raise the dander of some of the folks responding to the endless "Tipping" post on this board). DSC is $20 per day per person in most cabin classes and added to your onboard account to be paid at the end of the cruise (unless you choose to prepay them before the cruise).

Jeans are more than acceptable in all restaurants. Shorts and jeans are all I wear on a cruise...along with a few shirts, socks, shoes and unmentionables (even though I just mentioned them).

• Haha 2

FAS gratuities for drink package comes out to $21 pp pd. A cocktail runs about $14, so if you drink alcoholic drinks it’s a good deal. A charge of $20 pp pd is charged to your account as a gratuity to most of the staff, no need to tip extra if you don’t want to. I wouldn’t get that excited for seafood night.

Thanks all. At least I know to expect $20 per day. As I don't drink alcohol, the "free" drinks package doesn't seem worth it for a few sodas. Next it's trying to figure out shore excursions. At least I have a lot of experience visiting new locales and getting around.

You can remove the free at sea package at time of booking if you wouldn't drink enough alcoholic beverages to justify the taxes.  You can charge your sodas to the room.  There's a nonalcoholic package that's cheaper you can look into to see if it would be less than just buying a few sodas each day.  

It is customary to give room service attendants a few dollars per tray of food.  You can give them cash or charge it to your room.  

For shore excursions, I'd recommend booking private ones through tripadvisor, but please research the cancellation policies in case the ship doesn't dock.  Usually in the Caribbean tours are refundable when the ship doesn't dock, but they are often  nonrefundable in Europe.

4 minutes ago, Damascus43 said:

Thanks all. At least I know to expect $20 per day. As I don't drink alcohol, the "free" drinks package doesn't seem worth it for a few sodas. Next it's trying to figure out shore excursions. At least I have a lot of experience visiting new locales and getting around.

As @kitkat343 just posted, just decline the drinks package. Then add the soda package (Coca-Cola products). It is $9.99 per day plus 20% gratuity. $83.89 for the week.

36 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Gratuities are separate. Called DSC...Daily Service Charge, (or Discretionary Service Charge...okay, not really. But wanted to raise the dander of some of the folks responding to the endless "Tipping" post on this board). DSC is $20 per day per person in most cabin classes and added to your onboard account to be paid at the end of the cruise (unless you choose to prepay them before the cruise).

Jeans are more than acceptable in all restaurants. Shorts and jeans are all I wear on a cruise...along with a few shirts, socks, shoes and unmentionables (even though I just mentioned them).

Gosh! It's not daily. It's not discretionary. It's onboard service charge! You've been scaring people by surprising them on cruises too much to catch the new term. (I hope you know I'm saying this with a smile on my face)

I wear shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers or flippy floppies. Never had an issue...granted i dont go to restaurants like Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where pants are required. 

Unlike @schmoopie17 I don't always put unmentionable on. 

• Haha 3

Missed the seafood extravaganza! There is a shrimp and steak evening in the buffet one night of the cruise. No crab. No lobster. Might be some other varieties of fish like tilapia or salmon, but not what I'd call an old school cruise buffet seafood extravaganza. 

39 minutes ago, Damascus43 said:

As I don't drink alcohol, the "free" drinks package doesn't seem worth it for a few sodas.

i don't drink a lot. and i still get the beverage package. you're on a cruise. you may want a tropical drink... or three. any frozen fruity cocktail can be made as a mocktail without alcohol. order two a day or one and a couple of sodas and your beverage package is - essentially - paid for. a can of soda is currently $3.50 plus 20% gratuity. if you really don't think you'll get $20 in value out of the package, then, you're right, it's not worth it. but it does speed up ordering drinks and makes things a lot simpler.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Daily Service Charge, (or Discretionary Service Charge...okay, not really. But wanted to raise the dander of some of the folks responding to the endless "Tipping" post on this board).

discretionary dander raised!

I would still get the specialty restaurant package with FAS.  Yes you are paying a little extra for gratuities but you are getting some of the best food on ship for less than it would cost you at McDonald's.  

4 hours ago, Grandmafreddie said:

Pay as you go for drinks. Sometime they will give you a soda with dinner no charge la bistro and cagneys long pants no flipflops. Otherwise anything goes.. 

it’s only ocean blue and Le bistro that require long pants. It seems they’ve changed it on my recent trip on the bliss. Wore smart shorts in Cagney’s and the Manhattan room

21 hours ago, Damascus43 said:

I did go for the FAS specialty as the gratuity is what I would tip in a normal restaurant. Thanks everybody for all the good advice. 

About that soda package - if you do the math, it takes 3 per day to cover the cost.

If you driink 3 or more per day, buy it., If not pay as you go @ $4.20 a pop included the gratuity.

1 hour ago, Damascus43 said:

Actually I just realized that since I booked this cruise through Expedia I don't get any packages at all.

Expedia gives you options on packages you can select.  It looks like the default is the Wifi and Shore Credit package but you can select any combinations.  If you selected one without the dining package, contact Expedia to have it added.

image.thumb.png.e093ebb1c4a6fb0d0d2f522cb5c070b9.png

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

pun intended? or was that just a happy accident?

either way, i see what you did there and i appreciate it.

Sometimes you just get a fizzy feeling.   😮