International date line crossing and dining reservations?

Lanwood

Anyone had issues with booking dining reservations on an itinerary that crosses the international date line.

I have a cruise crossing the pacific from AUS to US, so will essentially get a date twice on the itinerary, in this case April 25th two days in a row.

The dining reservation system doesn't seem to pick this up, so am seeing 1 sea day short. Only 17 days showing in lieu of the 18 on the itinerary.

Thinking this may place bookings post the crossing out by a day when actually there, placing some bookings on port days where I may be eating ashore? And how to actually book on the day that is missing?

Guessing I'm not the first to notice over the years as I found a few threads on it, so probably the last to notice 😀, but couldn't see any re dining reservations in that direction.

17 hours ago, Lanwood said:

Anyone had issues with booking dining reservations on an itinerary that crosses the international date line.

I have a cruise crossing the pacific from AUS to US, so will essentially get a date twice on the itinerary, in this case April 25th two days in a row.

The dining reservation system doesn't seem to pick this up, so am seeing 1 sea day short. Only 17 days showing in lieu of the 18 on the itinerary.

Thinking this may place bookings post the crossing out by a day when actually there, placing some bookings on port days where I may be eating ashore? And how to actually book on the day that is missing?

Guessing I'm not the first to notice over the years as I found a few threads on it, so probably the last to notice 😀, but couldn't see any re dining reservations in that direction.

We are booked on the Apr 2025 Solstice Trans Pacific sailing and I am seeing the same problem on our Cruise Planner (1st screen shot).  There is a complete day missing--the day after we cross the International Date Line.  That is the day we call on Pago Pago (American Samoa), but you can see below that it is missing.

image.thumb.png.299dc2de43051b6e7ee2df7d09cc108a.png

Celebrity does something strange (to me) in the way that they count the days in our itinerary (2nd screen shot).  It is 17 nights/18 days long, but only 17 days are listed below because the day before we cross the IDL and the day after have the same dates (Apr 18) which is correct--but the two different days are counted as one.  It's like Celebrity's computers can't handle it.  I think this day/date counting problem extends to the Cruise Planner. 

image.thumb.png.43a7561fd600d97e2e9dd7b90bf2f9a6.png

44 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We are booked on the Apr 2025 Solstice Trans Pacific sailing and I am seeing the same problem on our Cruise Planner (1st screen shot).  There is a complete day missing--the day after we cross the International Date Line.  That is the day we call on Pago Pago (American Samoa), but you can see below that it is missing.

image.thumb.png.299dc2de43051b6e7ee2df7d09cc108a.png

Celebrity does something strange (to me) in the way that they count the days in our itinerary (2nd screen shot).  It is 17 nights/18 days long, but only 17 days are listed below because the day before we cross the IDL and the day after have the same dates (Apr 18) which is correct--but the two different days are counted as one.  It's like Celebrity's computers can't handle it.  I think this day/date counting problem extends to the Cruise Planner. 

image.thumb.png.43a7561fd600d97e2e9dd7b90bf2f9a6.png

Off topic:

I kinda wonder where you'll be tendering to in Lahaina on Day 16...will anything be rebuilt by then??

We'll be visiting Maui this coming October...and we'll be avoiding the area...we have spent sooo much time there over the last 30 years that we just can't bear to see the area now...not sure if we'll ever recover from the shock...no matter what is built...

14 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Off topic:

I kinda wonder where you'll be tendering to in Lahaina on Day 16...will anything be rebuilt by then??

We'll be visiting Maui this coming October...and we'll be avoiding the area...we have spent sooo much time there over the last 30 years that we just can't bear to see the area now...not sure if we'll ever recover from the shock...no matter what is built...

Oh, shoot--the itinerary screenshot in my last post was the original one when the sailing was released.  Lahaina has since been substituted with Kona (Big Island).  Thanks for pointing that out.

Here is the updated itinerary for our 17 night (18 day) sailing--straight off Celebrity's website.  In this version, one whole day in our cruise is missing--the day after our stop at Apia which is Pago Pago.

image.thumb.png.c07d17729c6547e0f13005265d2e591b.png

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Here is the updated itinerary for our 17 night (18 day) sailing--straight off Celebrity's website.  In this version, one whole day in our cruise is missing--the day after our stop at Apia which is Pago Pago.

image.thumb.png.c07d17729c6547e0f13005265d2e591b.png

Yep, that's what mine on the Edge is doing. Has merged the International date line day with day before into one day.

As the bookings are based on day 1, day2, day 3 etc and not actual dates, it's got me thinking my bookings will end up a day out of whack?

On 2/11/2024 at 4:30 PM, Lanwood said:

Yep, that's what mine on the Edge is doing. Has merged the International date line day with day before into one day.

As the bookings are based on day 1, day2, day 3 etc and not actual dates, it's got me thinking my bookings will end up a day out of whack?

I was excited for a minute when I saw you say "That's what mine on Edge is doing" and thought we were stopping at Kona, but no, just the extra sea day instead of Lahaina.

Or do you have information that I don't have?

Cheers,

Sue

16 minutes ago, spw1947 said:

I was excited for a minute when I saw you say "That's what mine on Edge is doing" and thought we were stopping at Kona, but no, just the extra sea day instead of Lahaina.

Or do you have information that I don't have?

Cheers,

Sue

Hi Sue,

No sorry. I was referring to booking speciality restaurants, that my booking on the Edge is having the same issue as the Soltice itinerary in losing a day (ie the number of days on the itinerary to not align with the number of days on the speciality booking system). Thus not sure how best to book the actual day we're wanting.

Looks like their system is unable to allow for the same day occurring twice on the itinerary due to crossing the international date line.

Not sure if others have come across it before? But thinking I'll just book best I can and sort out onboard.....

It also at this stage looks like they're going to have an entire sea day with no bookings. Good for those with packages to get a good time on board I guess?

Thanks, I wasn't sure and just wanted to clarify.

I hadn't noticed the issue when I was booking restaurants but I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though we won't get the pre-cruise booking discount on board.

Looking forward to the cruise and days of idleness at sea.

We may need to call in to get the extra day of points.   When I went the opposite direction I received an extra day of points.   Having Said that -

I have no problem making reservation.     Choose the slot for International Date Line=

Choose Pago Pago for same the first one -  International Date Line for the Second.    It is hard on ones mind when you have the same day twice.       When I flew home from Sydney -  I arrived before I left.

Oops ... disregard possibly.   This is for Solstice with two different stops Apia and Pago Pago with Pago Pago being on the other side of the date line.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Celebrity has gone back and forth between this being 17 and 18N. 

When I saw this post I went back and checked my original booking on the Edge.

Our original booking it was listed as 17N 4/14 - 5/l.  Currently the website itinerary is 

showing it as 18N with arrival in Honolulu on 5/2.  The app is showing it as 18N  with a cruise end date of 5/1. I guess it is time to call our TA as we have flights home from Honolulu on 5/1.

Edited by jelayne

41 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We may need to call in to get the extra day of points.   When I went the opposite direction I received an extra day of points.   Having Said that -

I have no problem making reservation.     Choose the slot for International Date Line=

Choose Pago Pago for same the first one -  International Date Line for the Second.    It is hard on ones mind when you have the same day twice.       When I flew home from Sydney -  I arrived before I left.

Oops ... disregard possibly.   This is for Solstice with two different stops Apia and Pago Pago with Pago Pago being on the other side of the date line.

I am on the same Solstice sailing as you except one year later (2025).  For us, Pago Pago is not available as a choice for making specialty dining reservations.  It is missing altogether.

image.thumb.png.299dc2de43051b6e7ee2df7d

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I am on the same Solstice sailing as you except one year later (2025).  For us, Pago Pago is not available as a choice for making specialty dining reservations.  It is missing altogether.

image.thumb.png.299dc2de43051b6e7ee2df7d

On mine -  I was extrapolating from the Excursion Screen -  Both Pago Pago and Apia are showing as Day 10 - International Date Line.    At least on excursions they are both listed but like you only shows International Date Line on Dinner Reservations. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

On mine -  I was extrapolating from the Excursion Screen -  Both Pago Pago and Apia are showing as Day 10 - International Date Line.    At least on excursions they are both listed but like you only shows International Date Line on Dinner Reservations. 

Thanks.  We are the same.

20 hours ago, jelayne said:

Celebrity has gone back and forth between this being 17 and 18N. 

When I saw this post I went back and checked my original booking on the Edge.

Our original booking it was listed as 17N 4/14 - 5/l.  Currently the website itinerary is 

showing it as 18N with arrival in Honolulu on 5/2.  The app is showing it as 18N  with a cruise end date of 5/1. I guess it is time to call our TA as we have flights home from Honolulu on 5/1.

All indications is your original disembarkation date is correct, 5/1. It coincides with the Honolulu Port schedule & the embarkation of the next cruise. Nothing shows it as 5/2.

• Like 1