Google Voice Calling on WiFi

Gatorinmd

I am cruising on the Majestic Princess in June for an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. My question pertains to Google Voice and the ability to place and receive phone calls using the ship's WiFi. Has anyone had any success or experience with this (or even using WhatsApp) for voice calls? 

Thanks in advance

14 minutes ago, Gatorinmd said:

I am cruising on the Majestic Princess in June for an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. My question pertains to Google Voice and the ability to place and receive phone calls using the ship's WiFi. Has anyone had any success or experience with this (or even using WhatsApp) for voice calls? 

Thanks in advance

FaceTime and WhatsApp have worked for us.  I would think Google Voice would work, as well. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

I have seen people talk about FaceTime but since that's an Apple to Apple device connection. For my friends and family members who don't have an iPhone (I do) they won't be able to use FaceTime or iMessaging. And most of them also don't have WhatsApp. I have a Google Voice number that I use, where I can make and receive phone calls and text from it (via the app). This way I can give everyone my Google Voice and it will basically act like my cell phone number (if it works) so people will be able to contact me. 

• Like 1

No idea about Google Voice, but I will say that everything is hinged on the Internet speed MedallionNet is providing.  Even over cell carrier's wi-fi or on Apple Facetime, if the connection is slow, the calls will drop or not go through at all.  Before the switch to Starlink, both of the aforementioned methods of communications didn't work well at all. 

I have Google Voice.  You will have to purchase Medallion Net and have it connected/signed on at all times to receive texts and calls.  It does go through your phone.  It will work the same as you do at home:  airplane mode and cell phone/wifi calling turned on.

Princess does not block VOIP service by Google Voice. It worked for me last fall when calling internationally to US.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have Google Voice.  You will have to purchase Medallion Net and have it connected/signed on at all times to receive texts and calls.  It does go through your phone.  It will work the same as you do at home:  airplane mode and cell phone/wifi calling turned on.

Princess does not block VOIP service by Google Voice. It worked for me last fall when calling internationally to US.

Thank you so much. This is what I wanted to hear. And I do have the Plus package so I'll have the Medallion net. 

8 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

No idea about Google Voice, but I will say that everything is hinged on the Internet speed MedallionNet is providing.  Even over cell carrier's wi-fi or on Apple Facetime, if the connection is slow, the calls will drop or not go through at all.  Before the switch to Starlink, both of the aforementioned methods of communications didn't work well at all. 

I was wondering if Princess had gone to Starlink. Thanks. 

Yes, I believe all Princess ships are now using Starlink.  I have used Google Voice on at least 2 or 3 ships, maybe more and it worked great!  I even received a call on one cruise.  Absolutely it does require that you purchase the internet plan/MedallionNet.  I don't remember about airplane mode, on or off.  I have used Google Voice both before and with Starlink.  It did not seem to make a significant difference with Google Voice quality which internet platform.  I used it with my iPad and ear buds as sound volume is not great on an iPad without earbuds.  IMO, Google Voice is amazing.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

Yes, I believe all Princess ships are now using Starlink.  I have used Google Voice on at least 2 or 3 ships, maybe more and it worked great!  I even received a call on one cruise.  Absolutely it does require that you purchase the internet plan/MedallionNet.  I don't remember about airplane mode, on or off.  I have used Google Voice both before and with Starlink.  It did not seem to make a significant difference with Google Voice quality which internet platform.  I used it with my iPad and ear buds as sound volume is not great on an iPad without earbuds.  IMO, Google Voice is amazing.

This is good to hear. Appreciate it. 

If you have WiFi calling on your phone you don't need anything else.  I have  an Android phone and my carrier is T-Mobile.   I enabled WiFi calling and I was able to make and receive phone calls as normal.  Did not need Google Voice or anything else.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

If you have WiFi calling on your phone you don't need anything else.  I have  an Android phone and my carrier is T-Mobile.   I enabled WiFi calling and I was able to make and receive phone calls as normal.  Did not need Google Voice or anything else.

Are you able to do this while the phone is in airplane mode? I have WiFi calling on my Google Pixel phone and my carrier is also T-Mobile. Can I call others on the ship using WiFi calling without additional charges? How about calls to iPhones on the ship?

Guest Snaxmuppet
12 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

Just switching on wifi calling is not enough to avoid expensive charges by your carrier. It is quite possibly that using wifi calling, not in Airplane mode, it might not be able to make a call by wifi and then it will automatically use the cell network... aaagh!

So, always put your phone into airplane mode with all your radios off. Then you can turn on wifi. That will ensure that your cell connection is off and you won't then incur expensive cell calls or cell data charges.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

4 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Just switching on wifi calling is not enough to avoid expensive charges by your carrier. It is quite possibly that using wifi calling, not in Airplane mode, it might not be able to make a call by wifi and then it will automatically use the cell network... aaagh!

So, always put your phone into airplane mode with all your radios off. Then you can turn on wifi. That will ensure that your cell connection is off and you won't then incur expensive cell calls or cell data charges.

And this is why I use Google Voice. Cruise ships roaming rates can be outrageous and your cell has to be in Airplane Mode.  I wanted my Google Voice number to be my "cell" phone while I am on the ship. I can send&receive texts and send&receive phone calls over WiFi. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
6 minutes ago, Gatorinmd said:

And this is why I use Google Voice. Cruise ships roaming rates can be outrageous and your cell has to be in Airplane Mode.  I wanted my Google Voice number to be my "cell" phone while I am on the ship. I can send&receive texts and send&receive phone calls over WiFi. 

Sounds like a good idea tbh. I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up 🙂 

Just now, Snaxmuppet said:

Sounds like a good idea tbh. I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up 🙂 

The reason for my question about voice calls. I was pretty sure I could send&receive texts but I wasn't sure about actual voice calls though. Sounds like I won't have any problems. 

5 hours ago, Teechur said:

Are you able to do this while the phone is in airplane mode? I have WiFi calling on my Google Pixel phone and my carrier is also T-Mobile. Can I call others on the ship using WiFi calling without additional charges? How about calls to iPhones on the ship?

We are on T-Mobile and always use WiFi calling. However we are calling to people in States … local numbers, not international 

You have to have WiFi Calling enabled on your phone.   When on the ship put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn Wifi back on.   You will not get any carrier charges.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gatorinmd said:

I have confirmed it at home but I wanted to make sure that Princess doesn't block VOIP on their WiFi. And wanted to hear from others what their experience was if any. 

Onboard my wife uses Messenger and I use Skype.

I use Skype to call any landline or mobile as it costs only a few cents.

Skype to Skype voice calls work well most times, and video calls work better during off peak times.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Good point about international rates.  Do some research.  I know I can call OUT from US to another country.  Not sure if it works in any other combination.  I never placed money in my account but I have mysteriously had 10 cents credit since the start.

Don't bother:  

Can you get a UK Google Voice number?

It is a USA-only service. You cannot get a non-US Google Voice number.

google voice.png

And here's a very important note!  If you even *think* that you may be using wifi calling at any time (EVER!) just set it up NOW.  Do it and test it at home.  Some carriers *seem* to have a special provisioning method that *may* not work if attempted on a ship.  There is absolutely NO downside to leaving wifi calling enable ALL THE TIME!  I do...I've never had any issues and if you happen to need it on board...well, you're all set up.

To test at home.  Turn on wifi calling

Turn on airplane mode

Make a call or two...have someone call your number...send some texts.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Good point about international rates.  Do some research.  I know I can call OUT from US to another country.  Not sure if it works in any other combination.  I never placed money in my account but I have mysteriously had 10 cents credit since the start.

When I was on a cruise at a port stop in Papeete, Tahiti I had my first away from home experience with Google Voice.  At that time it was still very new to me.  I never thought of trying it ON THE SHIP using SHIP WIFI.  I was scared off by tales from people about huge expensive charges by calling from the ship.  I am witness to someone who had that experience, but that's another story)  I went to a little building right at the port in Papeete that had free Wifi and tried it there.  I made 3 or 4 fairly lengthy calls via Google Voice expecting to be charged using the credit I uploaded into my account ($10.00)  Lo and behold that credit was never charged!  I think I figured out that was because I was calling from a US number (my Google Voice number) to another US toll free number.  No International numbers involved.  My guess is if I had called an international number my credit would have been charged.  I love Google Voice, it just works for me :-)

• Like 1