Alaska in July is there a mosquito problem?

Depends on where you are going. In the ports on the coast we have rarely had significant issues but when we have ventured further inland we have indeed encountered the “Alaska state bird”!  Worst experience was Dyea near Skagway - they were thick. This was in June. You mentioned a cruise tour so my assumption is you will be going to Denali and will likely encounter mosquitoes. It’s easy enough to be prepared with a good topical repellent and you should be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did an Alaska cruise during the last week of June 2023, and I was worried about this problem. I am THAT PERSON...mosquitoes consider me a delicacy! They're the bane of my existence during the summer. If there is one stupid mosquito, it's going to find me.

I got pretty lucky, though - in both Juneau and Ketchikan, the weather was cool, with heavy drizzle to light rain, which kept the flying bugs at bay. Skagway was sunny - in port/town, before our helicopter excursion, there were mosquitoes and other bugs flying about - but not many, and I was prepared with mosquito repellent. I expect it would be worse with warmer weather, or if you are further inland.

• Thanks 1

I am somewhat in the same category as @rustysunshine...mosquitoes *love* me!  However, we've done Alaska 3 times now and never once had an issue...and one of the sailings the locals described the weather at the time as CRAZY hot...in September!  I guess we were just in the right place to avoid them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was once trying to negotiate with a bear who was chewing my leg off but then the skeeters all smelled blood and showed up in force scaring even the bear off...seemed good news until they picked me up and carried me off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, traveling psych nurse said:

We have been to Alaska on Princess cruise tours six times all in late August. I am looking at a June cruise tour. What experience have you had with mosquitos in June being a problem. Husband thinks they will be horrible. Thank you for any answers.

We have cruised in May and August (ten day cruises) we never saw a single mosquito either cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1