QE canceling future calls to New Zealand

bluemarble

3 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

sorry but if the reason is that the Cruise ships (and there are several involved in being turned away over the years) are not coming to NZ because of them having to come with clean hulls, without the damaging organisms from other parts of the world, them I'm with the environment and our government for protecting them.. They can stay away and help keep our pristine fjords and Bays clear.

My thoughts exactly, the area is much to precious to damage.

How do container ships and oil tankers manage to sail to New Zealand?

It seems NZ just don't want cruise ships. And although we are disappointed our NZ cruise was cancelled, we're happy not going to countries where we may not be welcome. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, longton said:

It seems NZ just don't want cruise ships. And although we are disappointed our NZ cruise was cancelled, we're happy not going to countries where we may not be welcome. 

its not you my friend but the organisms cruise and cargo ships bring here..... poor old Tasmania is a perfect example of the damage unfettered cargo ships from china bringing harmful "bugs" into a once pristine harbour and destroying th local ecology...I assume you are European so plenty of examples in your own back yard.

I'm not sure that "clean" and "pristine" are the best words to use. I know they have previously been used by others regarding this subject. Probably originally by politicians and ecologists to drum up public support for their stance. What is a harmful bug to one ecosystem is probably native and perfectly acceptable to another. If they've got round to thinking about it, the authorities in Alaska might not want New Zealand's bugs invading their ecosystem.

QE's itineraries for the past few years have effectively been lengthy world cruises, passing through both major canals and several oceans and seas. Helpfully to marine life that would like to cling on, she docks or drops anchor for ten hours at a time in various places giving them ample opportunity to get a good grip of her hull. It doesn't seem ideal to allow a ship following that sort of itinerary access to an area they want to protect.

Perhaps it's only a matter of time before ships are restricted to operate within set regions to try and limit any cross contamination.

• Like 2

Well the old adage is everyone hates tourists as long as they get to be one themselves. 

Island nations were discovered, built and developed by... ships, starting in this case by Maori canoes.  The idea that suddenly their ecosystems are suddenly imperilled by them is....

Oh well, I would have preferred to have visited New Zealand by QSMV DOMINION MONARCH c. 1955 anyway. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Island nations were discovered, built and developed by... ships, starting in this case by Maori canoes.  The idea that suddenly their ecosystems are suddenly imperilled by them is....

It's called bio-fouling, or in layman's terms. dirty bottoms and I seriously doubt it's sudden.

Have a look at Travel Weekly's 5th Feb '23 edition.

It's an education for those who aren't well up on their foreign marine organism displacements.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 8:49 PM, longton said:

Its the dirty ships we don't want - the tourists themselves are welcome - but every destination does want its visitors to spend money... 🥰

On 2/17/2024 at 6:49 PM, longton said:

Container ships and oil tankers don't enter the areas, like Fiordland and the Bay of Islands etc, where biofouling is a concern. They visit commercial ports.

Surely there should be a way to solve this problem. I'm guessing there aren't any issues with ships transiting between Australia and NZ, it's just ships that have come from further afield including on world cruises. Could hull-cleaning stops be scheduled into itineraries, essentially as sea days but not going anywhere? If this was done when a ship arrives in Aus/NZ from elsewhere would there be a need for more cleaning while the ship remains in this region?

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Surely there should be a way to solve this problem. I'm guessing there aren't any issues with ships transiting between Australia and NZ, it's just ships that have come from further afield including on world cruises. Could hull-cleaning stops be scheduled into itineraries, essentially as sea days but not going anywhere? If this was done when a ship arrives in Aus/NZ from elsewhere would there be a need for more cleaning while the ship remains in this region?

Wouldn't it need a full dry dock to clean beneath the water line?

Container ships and oil tankers don't enter the areas, like Fiordland and the Bay of Islands etc, where biofouling is a concern. They visit commercial ports.

They  don't use several gig per day (several million KWH of electric per day) equal to the power usage of a city like Southampton or smaller or maybe larger depending upon the size of ship. Cruise ships do.

18 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They  don't use several gig per day (several million KWH of electric per day) equal to the power usage of a city like Southampton or smaller or maybe larger depending upon the size of ship. Cruise ships do.

??? Power usage has nothing to do with dirty hulls. Plus the regions NZ is most concerned about are places where cruise ships don't dock - Fiordland is scenic cruising only and the Bay of Islands is a tender port.

• Like 1

??? Power usage has nothing to do with dirty hulls. Plus the regions NZ is most concerned about are places where cruise ships don't dock - Fiordland is scenic cruising only and the Bay of Islands is a tender port.

But cruise ship use far more power and produce far more waste and CO2 emissions than cargo or container ships regardless of dirty hulls.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

But cruise ship use far more power and produce far more waste and CO2 emissions than cargo or container ships regardless of dirty hulls.

but as been explained the issue is dirty hulls as you put not emissions.

This is a really interesting discussion. I just disembarked this morning from the majestic and beautiful QM2 and we are hooked. We are booked on the aforementioned QE Christmas cruise and I coincidentally received the email regarding the change while waiting to board QM2 in Fremantle. I would much prefer that New Zealand and its oceans are protected and treasured. We are not too fussed about missing NZ, as we have been there several times, and it is relatively easy to visit our fabulous Kiwi cousins from Sydney. A bit disappointing for those who have not visited NZ before, but we are sailing on Cunard for the actual voyage, so the captain can take us around in a great big circle for all I care!

• Like 8