Azamara in the Antarctic - a live perspective

uktog

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

They’ve put us up in a hotel but there’s ambiguity between what we were told at the airport and here at the hotel re other expenses. It was carnage at the airport. They would have flown you to Frankfurt but you had to sort out your own onward journey and hotel. There was no guarantee of anything before Sunday so this option although an absolute pain (no grandson’s birthday party or Mothers Day lunch) was the best of a bad job. Just about to go out and find another currency exchange! 

What a bummer. Be sure to save all your receipts. I am confident you will get covered, but to make sure....

OK, not the end of the world. Hope you find some ways to savour more of BA.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:12 PM, uktog said:

They’ve put us up in a hotel but there’s ambiguity between what we were told at the airport and here at the hotel re other expenses. It was carnage at the airport. They would have flown you to Frankfurt but you had to sort out your own onward journey and hotel. There was no guarantee of anything before Sunday so this option although an absolute pain (no grandson’s birthday party or Mothers Day lunch) was the best of a bad job. Just about to go out and find another currency exchange! 

Because it's an EU airline, you should be covered by all the EU compensation rules (even on a flight from Argentina).  Just check what that standard compensation & expenses policy is.

25 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Because it's an EU airline, you should be covered by all the EU compensation rules (even on a flight from Argentina).  Just check what that standard compensation & expenses policy is.

Thanks possibly not though because the issue is strikes but we will claim anyway. I’ve three days extra multi storey car parking at the airport for starters 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks possibly not though because the issue is strikes but we will claim anyway. I’ve three days extra multi storey car parking at the airport for starters 

I've previously found Edinburgh Airport parking happy to waive the extra time - but that was because of weather related delays, and just 24 hours.  It costs nothing to ask at the desk when you get back.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, uktog said:

EU is clear. Strikes do not constitute exemtion, just strikes un-related to the airline  e.g ATC or similar.

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

EU is clear. Strikes do not constitute exemtion, just strikes un-related to the airline  e.g ATC or similar.

Thanks a lot. We will be communicating with Lufthansa once we get home! I read currently they’re trying to argue the security strike was the issue but our cancellation email was clear it was ground crew that was the problem 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@uktog, so sorry for your travel home hassles! We thankfully made it back to Vermont without a glitch.

I can’t comment too much about the entertainment onboard, as we mostly don’t attend the shows. But agree that music in the Den was too loud, as it always seems to be. We always choose to sit as far from the piano as possible. For the most part, we enjoyed the lectures, and the comedian was quite good. Yes, White Night was unfortunate, as was the weather on most of the cruise. If the weather had been better, all of those sea days would have been a bit more pleasant. 
Still, it was a “bucket list” itinerary and I’m glad I went!

Edited by Mackdogmolly
  • Like 6

On 2/18/2024 at 8:32 PM, uktog said:

Crazy!  MSC Norwegian and Azamara all

boarding together having to filter through shared security and immigration points. 

The information on where to go to join the cruise from Azamara was incorrect - fortunately our designated driver had shared the right info with me and I put it on the roll call though non cruisers chipped in telling me I was wrong - oh well I did try!!

You have to drop your luggage at one point (no porters) 10 minute ride to the hall of “lines” - security check in and immigration in that order then bus to the ship. Took us 1 hr 20 min from taxi drop off to the ship

All out of Azamaras hands. You just have to breathe deeply and remember the tranquility that lies ahead 😂

I respectfully disagree. 

You note that it is all out of the hands of Azamara.  Yet you say Azamara gave wrong details on where to go.

Azamara could have done better no doubt in my mind about that.

We started our last day with a ship’s excursion with a panoramic tour of Buenos Aires, the highlight of which was a tour of this cemetery. It contains almost 5,000 mausoleums, including that of Eva “Evita” Peron. It’s a long tale as to how she ended up there, among the wealthy, elite who despised her (and who she despised in return). She is buried in her father’s tomb (he didn’t recognize her in life). 

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3889.jpeg

IMG_3890.jpeg

IMG_3894.jpeg

IMG_3893.jpeg

• Like 4

Next, we were taken to a ranch outside of Buenos Aires. Those who could tolerate the mosquitoes, could take a carriage ride around the grounds and/or tour the original casa, now a museum, with its own private chapel. We were also greeted on arrival with delicious empanadas (beef or vegetarian), along with wine or soft drinks. 
Lunch was served at long tables and consisted of barbecued beef and chicken, accompanied by a variety of salads, beer, local wine, and soft drinks. Then we were entertained by dancers and singers (not pictured).

Finally, we were treated to a gaucho demonstration of skill - a game involving spearing a hanging ring at a gallop. Perhaps not surprisingly, the owner of the ranch was the most accomplished!

Everyone was ready for a snooze on the two hour drive to the airport!

IMG_3897.jpeg

IMG_3898.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

IMG_3902.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/28/2024 at 5:17 AM, uktog said:

Funny you mention Shackleton- they had a special dinner last night The Ernest Shackleton dinner cost $75 per head. We did not partake, we were in PrimeC. They did try and suggest a few times we went so it hadn’t sold out. They weren’t sharing the menu - all part of the “surprise”  - that may have backfired on them. Maybe others were like us having seen films involving dried rations, stale veg and starvation. Somehow I don’t associate Shackleton and dining experiences!  I’m sure it was a great dinner though we were seated at the back of Prime C and unusually there was no sounds coming from Aqualina 

@excitedofharpenden is right about the ship’s internal capacity and whilst we are really enjoying this trip we do think about how it might have been on a ship laid out like say Viking as apart from in your room it required a lot of luck to get a seat with any view during the day. The living room chairs get “reserved” by about 8 and it doesn’t work that they’re offering 4 back to back trivia sessions from 9 am with the naturalists butting in with commentary so it’s a constant stop start sound. I have no idea why the cruise director didn’t schedule trivia in the Den but then throughout I’ve felt that schedule has paid zero attention to timings and the itinerary. That’s been a less good feature. 

The biggest pinch point is lunch. I’d hate to see it if the ship was full. We are 2/3 full.  Yes lunch is available in the Dining Room but offset that with the patio being closed as it’s too cold for crew to work, no one eating ashore and the back veranda also closed most days it’s been chaos at times. The menu choice hasn’t included much extra and they’re always leaving empty serving dishes around so the “top up” doesn’t work smoothly. 

These are all little things that with better organisation and some forethought about where we are rather than “cookie cutter it’s day x we do y” would help a lot!  

Agree with @uktog on comments - especially about lunch.

We bit on the Shackleton seafood bait.  Unfortunately, nothing special with a couple of wine pairing misses included...  The couple next to us agreed.  And the group dynamics just were not conducive to a special evening.  Oh well...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Homerody said:

I respectfully disagree. 

You note that it is all out of the hands of Azamara.  Yet you say Azamara gave wrong details on where to go.

Azamara could have done better no doubt in my mind about that.

I think we are actually agreeing. My comment related to the boarding process being out of Azamaras hands not the communication process. Sorry if that was not clear.

We know the communication issue has been raised particularly with the Head of the Call Centre where agents were still giving out wrong information despite it having been updated internally. 

Our excursion which was supposed to drop us at the airport at 1300 was much less successful. Our guide had “issues” starting with telling us aggressively at the port no one must wear gold on this trip it is too dangerous. She lacked guiding skills (she was small and had no flag) but worst of all the tour over ran by almost an hour leaving some guests very concerned about check in times (not helped by a dispute between her and the driver leaving us being dropped off well beyond the terminal with a long walk back). All this she blamed on the cruise line asking her to drop 4 guests off in town and she was responsible for their safety (that drop off and deviation took about 10 minutes max) however when the gentleman in front of us quietly asked her wasn’t she responsible for getting us to the airport in time the whole coach got another 5 minute rant about everything being Azamaras fault due to the four passengers and the safety issues etc. 

As it was we joined a line of guests at business class checkin all needing reroutes. The couple in front got the last reroute for today. We accept there’s always the one who just misses but we feel had we reached the airport at the advertised time we could have been home today. As it is we are both nursing ship acquired colds and are still 24 hours from leaving. 

Sadly the appeal of Buenos Aires had evaporated for now. 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2024 at 5:35 AM, uktog said:

Wherever it is it’s not going to be ideal staggering around at a buffet. 
I think the Cruise Director really hasn’t thought this one through when reacting to a guest entertainer missing a flight. However I’m sure everyone will try to enjoy it

@uktog was it you who asked Captain during Q&A about the ill fated scheduling choice?

On 3/5/2024 at 5:04 AM, uktog said:

We were eating with others and like many we opted to eat in the Main Dining Room. Unlike in previous years the menu (which was published days ahead) was not quite as “special” and unfortunately the execution wasn’t great. The halibut had potential to be memorable and it was but for all the wrong reasons. It was so badly cooked it was like a tough steak. Didn’t send it back, staff were rushed off their feet. 

x2 for @uktog comment on halibut.  It bordered on inedible. way overcooked. so obviously a kitchen thing - not a one off bad serving.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Homerody said:

@uktog was it you who asked Captain during Q&A about the ill fated scheduling choice?

No. We didn’t make it to the session we were on hold (then cut off after an hour) to Lufthansa - what did he say 

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

No. We didn’t make it to the session we were on hold (then cut off after an hour) to Lufthansa - what did he say 

Cruise director actually answered the question and said that it was her call to make the change.  adding that an airline strike caused delay in comedian's arrival yadda yadda yadda......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, uktog said:

As it was we joined a line of guests at business class checkin all needing reroutes. The couple in front got the last reroute for today. We accept there’s always the one who just misses but we feel had we reached the airport at the advertised time we could have been home today. As it is we are both nursing ship acquired colds and are still 24 hours from leaving. 

Sadly the appeal of Buenos Aires had evaporated for now. 

It sounds a nightmare. I hope you both recover soon and get home safely, and can recoup your unplanned expenditure,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I've previously found Edinburgh Airport parking happy to waive the extra time - but that was because of weather related delays, and just 24 hours.  It costs nothing to ask at the desk when you get back.

Absolutely I will need to go there anyway to get my ticket re validated or I will be blocking the exit barrier 😀. I’ve certainly found them very accommodating but I will be 72 hours over. Obviously I will be passing any excess to Lufthansa 

1 hour ago, Homerody said:

Cruise director actually answered the question and said that it was her call to make the change.  adding that an airline strike caused delay in comedian's arrival yadda yadda yadda......

I was very annoyed that the Hotel Director blamed the Captain alleging he said to us when we challenged him in person it had been Johannes call. We knew that wasn’t true. 
She made a dreadful call in my view and put her team ahead of the guests. 

• Like 2

I asked the question at the Q & A with the Captain about the postponement of White Night.  The Cruise Director confirmed that it was her decision, but showed no contrition in making such a crass call.

The really sad thing is on the planned date for the party the evening in Puerto Madryn was beautiful and Golfo Nuevo was like a mill pond.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhitlocksEnd said:

I asked the question at the Q & A with the Captain about the postponement of White Night.  The Cruise Director confirmed that it was her decision, but showed no contrition in making such a crass call.

The really sad thing is on the planned date for the party the evening in Puerto Madryn was beautiful and Golfo Nuevo was like a mill pond.

Thank you for asking. We all make crass calls at some time in our lives but the mark of a good director is to show contrition.

I think the young lady has performance skills but there were several points along the way where she evidenced a lack of staff and customer engagement skills. Maybe I’m setting the bar too high but Eric, Darren and Martin in particular are always highly visible always on gangway duty every day and a disembarkation. That was just one example of what was missing here. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 6:27 AM, uktog said:

Thanks a lot. We will be communicating with Lufthansa once we get home! I read currently they’re trying to argue the security strike was the issue but our cancellation email was clear it was ground crew that was the problem 

In case you do not get an answer from LH (and this seems to be very common nowadays) or a rejection of your claim (again it seems to be a first reaction to claims), you could consider contacting Söp (Schlichtungsstelle für den öffentlichen Personenverkehr ). Alone mentioning the name of this institution after a rejection or no answer from LH, will prompt you get you an answer. Keep all your receives. Good luck. LH is not anymore the reliable and one of the best airlines in the world. Too many problems going on now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:48 AM, uktog said:

Absolutely I will need to go there anyway to get my ticket re validated or I will be blocking the exit barrier 😀. I’ve certainly found them very accommodating but I will be 72 hours over. Obviously I will be passing any excess to Lufthansa 

@uktog hope your journey home has started without any additional drama from airline.  Safe travels

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Homerody said:

@uktog hope your journey home has started without any additional drama from airline.  Safe travels

Thanks

And finally 72 hours late we are home - Buenos Aires was getting very boring though fascinating as always.  We did see the impact of the hyper inflation first hand - ever morning when we went to the little "25 hour store" beside our hotel the price of water had gone up - we started at 650 pesos and ended our trip at 900.  The increased cost of a can of Heineken in the hotel was even more significant - we watched them print and replace bar menus every evening.

The car park excess was not cheap so that is certainly going to Lufthansa.

But in our final thoughts - we are so glad we did this cruise - was it perfect - well can you even define perfect.  Yes there were several things that could have been delivered better my Azamara but overall it was a great cruise.  Are there signs of corner cutting on Azamara -- yes there are and that plus inconsistency remains a concern but we were happy enough to make another booking on board.

Thanks to all the fellow passengers who made this voyage so memorable.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1