Azamara in the Antarctic - a live perspective

uktog

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from uktog! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

uktog was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Heading off for this much wanted and awaited 17 night adventure boarding on 18th (3 days time). We’ve had a lively roll call. Not many ports to do excursions in but lots of pooling of resources to share ideas. 

So this “live from” I’m hoping will also be a shared effort. 

Getting to Buenos Aires to embark gives multiple flights for most of us. Ours started today and a hint to any UK travellers looking to do this in future. Really good fares particularly in business can be had by first heading in the “wrong direction”. We are currently in Frankfurt waiting to board with several £k more in our pocket than all other routes offered. 

Next stop Buenos Aires as the dear Evita said 😀

• Like 15

Antarctic was our first Azamara cruise back in 2008 It was booked on Celebrity Journey but by sailing day Azamara had been created.

That was what sold us on Azamara, still our best ever cruise and in my opinion Azamara was at it best in those early days.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, uktog said:

.....Really good fares particularly in business can be had by first heading in the “wrong direction”. We are currently in Frankfurt waiting to board with several £k more in our pocket than all other routes offered.... 

That's a true 'spin', as you clearly will have several less £ in pocket unless you use points etc.!

My main reason for posting is I had no idea you were heading to the western 'down under'.... wow, what a fabulous cruise ahead of you! Not been paying close attention to Az in recent times, just now and then.

Enjoy, we had a very good Quest experience in November from Lisbon to Barbados with beautiful sunny days from the day following Madeira.

Edited by hamrag

So we made it to Buenos Aires with all our luggage and no delays and would recommend Lufthansa, particularly the food options.

We had booked our airport transfer through the hotel (the Hilton). It was a little more expensive but so worth it because it was seamless and when we arrived at 0930 our room was ready for us. 

The Hilton is in a great location with so many waterfront bars and restaurants beside us. It’s worth booking an Executive Room as the lounge is very good 
IMG_3497.thumb.jpeg.dcc3a20880dce923e08118474fab1c2d.jpeg

They directed us to an exchange bureau across the road. We got 980 pesos to the $. Not sure if that was the very best rate but it was fine for us and was in a place that felt safe. We’ve only changed $50 and took a new note. Will report back how much we do with that amount! 

We are a very easy 10-15 minute walk from Casa Rosada indeed our room looks out on it, so we ventured over this morning. It felt much calmer and more peaceful than our previous three visits. - Maybe they don’t protest on Saturdays! 
IMG_3494.thumb.jpeg.72f5a2fa8ce14a0db06b48b5f6da1115.jpeg

IMG_3473.thumb.jpeg.fb354884def1779fc123ae7bbef1a500.jpeg

We like the cathedral which of course has links to the Pope so visited again. Slightly bizarrely some aged rockers were doing sound checks for a rock concert there 😂😂  The National Memorial is impressive though I don’t know how the guards kept their composure with all the Chinese tourists and their selfies and v signs dancing in front of them. I doubt our Royal Household Regiment members would be so tolerant IMG_3483.thumb.jpeg.745985de9d7ec0a3c388eee8f4fe29d6.jpeg

IMG_3478.thumb.jpeg.c1600c80b94fe801b3fa535788dcc2a4.jpeg

It was a good leg stretch out to work off 

last nights tomahawk steak but that’s another story ($40 monster beautiful cooking to our tastes with sides that we shared and failed to finish)

IMG_3460.thumb.jpeg.b33e25a405e2322abcf3e21e3bad9ece.jpeg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Last night we did a foodies walk tour through the Palermo district of the city. The tour was run by Sherpa Food Tours and was a good way to see another neighbourhood and its varying cultures. 

IMG_3500.thumb.jpeg.8ffaf1384fb5220b80c67302710da017.jpeg

Maradonna is still the local hero

IMG_3513.thumb.jpeg.accbc67406e0805f9f370fb1c61bee7d.jpeg

The tour did perhaps involve more walking than the write up led you to believe - well over 10000 steps and quite a brisk pace but the food experiences were really good. 
IMG_3503.thumb.jpeg.f1628a074ead0b72d18f4b2c0d943e91.jpeg

The home made vermouth certainly eased the joints!

IMG_3511.thumb.jpeg.7bffbc2746fb13bb617862e0814177cd.jpeg

There was a stop involving wine tasting and I found a new variety to love 

IMG_3506.thumb.jpeg.7f19b1f7e2729c3afb3b8805780435ab.jpeg

There was so much art work and murals to see, the fast pace gave little time to photograph so we need to go back to that area if we come back

IMG_3510.thumb.jpeg.04118d093754e59f11c6b103326eeeb1.jpeg

IMG_3509.thumb.jpeg.468c8e023e70be5c3c0871aabe58a49a.jpeg

The old courtyards had running rails so the owners could run businesses from their homes. 

All the walkers were on the cruise having connected through the roll call. It was a good pre cruise meet up! 

• Like 8

Thanks for the reminders of the fascinations of  Buenos Aires.

Given the recent election and political excitement, were police in evidence in the neighbourhoods you visited?

3 hours ago, nordski said:

Thanks for the reminders of the fascinations of  Buenos Aires.

Given the recent election and political excitement, were police in evidence in the neighbourhoods you visited?

Not that I noticed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Not that I noticed.

Thanks!

There were a fair number out and about when we were there 4 years ago. 
Glad to hear that there is relative quiet on the streets. 

Looking forward to more posts from you and uktog!

• Like 1

Now safely onboard and trying to unpack

And now for the good news

The Beverage Package has NOT increased in price

See the flyer attached 

IMG_3521.thumb.jpeg.edccca2b5b952f8dc781aa27c8139904.jpeg

The selection of wines is slightly different DH will be on a Malbec hunt I’m sure 

IMG_3522.thumb.jpeg.dbf3a65070f4e753734812c67f6749e9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good news about the cost of the ultimate package upgrade; I hope it is consistent across the fleet.  We’re on the Journey, but not until November.  I’m hoping these prices can hold for the rest of the year.  Have a great cruise.  I look forward to following along!

2 hours ago, Nunfa1 said:

How is the availabilty of the drinks on the Ultimate Package? Accept that you problaby haven't had time to try them all yet 🙂 

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it!  😁

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

How was the boarding process?

Crazy!  MSC Norwegian and Azamara all

boarding together having to filter through shared security and immigration points. 

The information on where to go to join the cruise from Azamara was incorrect - fortunately our designated driver had shared the right info with me and I put it on the roll call though non cruisers chipped in telling me I was wrong - oh well I did try!!

You have to drop your luggage at one point (no porters) 10 minute ride to the hall of “lines” - security check in and immigration in that order then bus to the ship. Took us 1 hr 20 min from taxi drop off to the ship

All out of Azamaras hands. You just have to breathe deeply and remember the tranquility that lies ahead 😂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nunfa1 said:

How is the availabilty of the drinks on the Ultimate Package? Accept that you problaby haven't had time to try them all yet 🙂 

Well I’ve started your challenge no problems tonight with Whispering Angel, Botanist Gin or piper Heidsike. 

• Like 5