A walk down Memory - Lane

Germancruiser

Great pictures Jhuntgold- I remember my very first cruise- miniships they would be called today- Jupiter of Epirotiki and Germany´s " Berlin"! Same cabin layout than Rotterdam. Those first voyages are now 40 ( Jupiter) and 34 years ( Berlin) ago. Oh my...! At the age of 14 even the little Jupiter was a stunning experience- never to be forgotten. Two formals- tux etc. The rest a nice suit  and tie was the dress code.

Much enjoyed on all four M-class ships.

United States Restaurant on Infinity was my favorite decor-wise, as I gravitate toward art deco. 

Many enjoyable memories of fine dining.

• Like 1

My first cruise, as a very young child, was on the Ocean Monarch in Dec 1962.   There was one restaurant, a buffet was held once during the cruise in the indoor promenade.   Believe they also had a midnight buffet in the main restaurant.    We then sailed on Canadian Pacific, Increas, Swedish American, and Cunard.    Those were great days and there were no kids club so you made your own fun.   One memorable activity when we bugged a sailor was sanding the rails.    We were each given a piece of paper and a bucket of sand and told to have fun!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:04 AM, QuestionEverything said:

Thank you germancruiser.

I think the 2nd photo was the Olympic specialty with some of the paneling actually from the Olympic.

I absolutely loved this about Olympic restaurant. I felt special dining there. Of course I was only like 16 but I thought it was such a special thing on the ship. 

• Like 1

Song of America was my first cruise back in 1997 a two week Panama Canal. So sorry to see she was scrapped a couple of months ago.

My first two Celebrity cruises were both on Mercury, Buenos Aires to Valpereso one year, and Alaska (round trip San Francisco) the next year. Next after that was on Infinity for another Panama Canal transit. The SS United States restaurant was wonderful. So was the main dining room. And the staff took such good care of us.

I was lucky enough to cruise at the tail end of the elegant era. I still love cruising and it will always be my go to vacation, but it's a different thing now.

• Like 1