A walk down Memory - Lane

Germancruiser

Hi all seasoned X cruisers. I found a nice topic over at the RCI- board- about an old RCI - Ship ( Song of America) ! I rather liked those old pictures and memories of voyages- cruises - past. So I thought to share a few pictures of my first voyages on board Millenium, Summit... !  Those pictures are from 2001 and 2002 - Millenium and Summit. Both the Speciality Restaurants as they appeared  back then. Those have been wonderul Speciality - Restaurants. Tuscany Grill- nice too, but far from the old style- my opinion - of course.

Nr.8.jpg

millennium_olympicrestaurant_005_SMALL.jpg

Nr.2.bmp

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Hi all seasoned X cruisers. I found a nice topic over at the RCI- board- about an old RCI - Ship ( Song of America) ! I rather liked those old pictures and memories of voyages- cruises - past. So I thought to share a few pictures of my first voyages on board Millenium, Summit... !  Those pictures are from 2001 and 2002 - Millenium and Summit. Both the Speciality Restaurants as they appeared  back then. Those have been wonderul Speciality - Restaurants. Tuscany Grill- nice too, but far from the old style- my opinion - of course.

Nr.8.jpg

Nr.2.bmp 471.73 kB · 7 downloads

Beautiful room.  In a small way, it reminds me of present day Murano with less tables.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Nr.8.jpg

Nr.2.bmp 471.73 kB · 8 downloads

The decor reminds me of the SS Norway which was my first sailing on a cruise ship. There was a lot of “elegance “ back then. 😉😊

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

The decor reminds me of the SS Norway which was my first sailing on a cruise ship. There was a lot of “elegance “ back then. 😉😊

that was a beautiful ship...do you remember the International lounge with the pianist?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

The Olympic (as well as the other Ocean Liner restaurants on M class) once provided an exquisite  fine dining experience which could last three hours. 

Greetings Baron Barracuda, indeed.

Had many a wonderful meal in the Olympic and the other venues on the M class. We always brought an ocean liner book with us when we sailed, in the Olympic we would show photos to the great wait staff of the actual Olympic and her interior. 

Seems like a different world now, and not for the better in my view.

• Like 2

Yes it was the Olympic Restaurant on board Milli. Loved, loved that Restaurant. I agree Question Everything- a different world- and I also agree- not always for the better.

All other Spec. Restaurants on board Milli- Class ships where great- Ocean Liners- Constellation, Normandie - Summit, United States - Infinity. Hm. A shame really that they changed those wonderful rooms into Tuscany.

• Like 4

This topic brought back memories of my very first cruise in January 1977 on Holland America’s original Rotterdam. How things have changed in the last 46 years or so. The Rotterdam, at 38,000 gross tons, would be dwarfed by today’s mega ships. Below, I included a description of the cabins, the ship’s statistics, and some menus from the cruise. On that 11 night cruise, we booked an inside guarantee and ended up in a small cabin with upper and lower berths.  We were very young back then so no problem for me getting into that upper berth. Wouldn’t want to try that today!!!  Back then, we even had a golf long drive contest from the aft of the ship.  The wake of the ship was the fairway and they tied a life buoy to a rope and used that to judge how far the drive went. I didn’t win but it sure was fun!!!

John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JHUNTGOLF said:

This topic brought back memories of my very first cruise in January 1977 on Holland America’s original Rotterdam. How things have changed in the last 46 years or so. The Rotterdam, at 38,000 gross tons, would be dwarfed by today’s mega ships. Below, I included a description of the cabins, the ship’s statistics, and some menus from the cruise. On that 11 night cruise, we booked an inside guarantee and ended up in a small cabin with upper and lower berths.  We were very young back then so no problem for me getting into that upper berth. Wouldn’t want to try that today!!!  Back then, we even had a golf long drive contest from the aft of the ship.  The wake of the ship was the fairway and they tied a life buoy to a rope and used that to judge how far the drive went. I didn’t win but it sure was fun!!!

John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And skeet shooting was allowed then!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JHUNTGOLF said:

John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That was our first cruise!  We were young back then also.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 2/17/2024 at 12:25 PM, C-Dragons said:

I was on her too; dressed up every night for dinner.  I believe we were in an Ocean view cabin along with a table for eight.  We were all around the same age and loved it!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Yes it was the Olympic Restaurant on board Milli. Loved, loved that Restaurant. I agree Question Everything- a different world- and I also agree- not always for the better.

All other Spec. Restaurants on board Milli- Class ships where great- Ocean Liners- Constellation, Normandie - Summit, United States - Infinity. Hm. A shame really that they changed those wonderful rooms into Tuscany.

Totally agree. dining in one of those specialty restaurants with the artifacts was great. We dined in all of them. Frankly, every time we've dined in Tuscany we were disappointed.

• Like 1

Germancruiser…loved the walk down memory lane. Our first RC cruise was Sovereign of the seas in 1988 and the 2 years later Song of America. We love that ship which was so intimate!!! 

• Like 1

Even though no longer with the United States Restaurant I can´t wait to embark on board Infinity in 10 days. Also she got a bit of a make over- so even though a rather old Lady I am sure I will love every minuite - 4th time that I booked a cruise on Infinity. The only Milli- Class ship I sailed but once is Summit.

Sovereign - the mother of all modern cruise ships- along with Majesty and Monarch- all of them gone by now- except for Majesty. The following class-  Vision Class- was my first experience ( Grandeur)  with those- at that time- " Super- Liners" as they where called.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I was on her too; dressed up every night for dinner.  I believe we were in an Ocean view cabin along with a table for eight.  We were all around the same age and loved it!

Agree....very young and impressed with the 'elegance'.  Most cabins were ocean view weren't they?  Not aware then of any balconies but if there were, we definitely couldn't afford them....🥲.

• Like 1