So, let’s call it “⅓ of “the Big One” - we’re back on World-Cruise-Sojourn!

shark b8

Last Keller dinner, at The Grill.   The Ceremonial Final Crab Cake and The Equally Ceremonial Last Medium-Rare Rib-Eye, With Peregourdine Sauce. 

Alas, we hardly knew ‘ye.

IMG_1581.thumb.jpeg.2816aebe4e20bcbfdd27ad34fe71eae1.jpeg

IMG_1582.thumb.jpeg.7cdb3435b555f150a7c2729ca3ebe730.jpeg

• Like 6

On 3/26/2024 at 6:46 AM, shark b8 said:

We visited the Shurijo Castle today, in Okinawa.  I must report that I think Seabourn seriously dropped the ball on this one - it’s all understood that the castle has been decimated and rebuilt several times, due to war and other disasters, that’s apparent if one does a little homework. But also, pretty much the whole thing burned down in 2019.  So what we saw today was essentially a construction site.  Or…”RE-construction site.”  Point being, I think Seabourn could have done a much better job of describing this tour going in, it turned out to be a view of a very big shielding modern warehouse-style building, containing important reconstruction within, with the hoped-for results painted on the outside. 

IMG_9281.thumb.jpeg.8023538ce642877ce4613a4e7447cc1c.jpeg

Our Regent cruise in April visited the same construction site. 
It will be years before it is done. 
Fortunately, we had visited it pre fire in 2010, so we just pulled up our pictures from that visit. 

Shark B8:  Thanks for your photos.  We had booked this World Cruise, but had to cancel (re-booked one of the Grand Voyages on the Quest) for various reasons.  It is fun to see the photos of what we missed.

• Thanks 1

If y’all are anything like us, you might make a point of ordering different things for dinner, and trade bites, just to be able to taste more stuff.  Maybe not a breach of etiquette exactly, but perhaps bending it a fair amount.  Anyway, as it turns out, trying to discreetly hand a spoonful of soup across the table can be disastrous.  “Dear Abby” would be mortified. 

IMG_1547.thumb.jpeg.97b38b87b6b31136d17b26dc0374cda7.jpeg

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

I remember, a cruise or two ago, posting a screenshot of the Herald, in which there were about four misspellings and grammar mistakes in one paragraph.  Today, on the Source app they misspelled their own restaurant.    😡   Once (or even twice) can happen.  Over and over, it’s something that really ought to be fixed. Yes?

IMG_1627.thumb.jpeg.e167e86cd48f7dfd444ec45364cf9dea.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

(As I said previously, I’m willing to be the onboard editor.  I’ll work cheap)

oooops…..cheapLY.   😱

Edited by shark b8
  • Haha 2

In Kagoshima we took a large ferry (carried the tour bus) over to an island, to get the best look at Sakurajima volcano.  It’s always simmering so they have to protect the citizenry from falling ash most of the time.  And on any fruit trees, they wrap the fruit with small paper bags, to avoid ash contact.  We got lucky with weather - seeing the peak is relatively uncommon.  By the end of the day, the entire volcano was shrouded by clouds & fog.

IMG_2024-03-29-154131.thumb.jpeg.02554a6b76bf680dcb092afe5c42714d.jpeg

IMG_2024-03-29-154002.thumb.jpeg.efa617ae8a46437eca5a0234da00394f.jpeg

IMG_2024-03-29-153934.thumb.jpeg.9076396d4d3e81b7a383d6f6c5a76da2.jpeg

• Like 4

On the longer shore excursions in Japan, we’ve had some really fun lunches.  (One place placed helpful instructions for keihan assembly 😎).  And one guide on the bus handed out “green tea Kit Kat” candy.

IMG_1600.thumb.jpeg.4852acce2ff5668c625d2c7e48b3eb66.jpeg

IMG_1579.thumb.jpeg.494bacc808174a90d4bc598c08415e6f.jpeg

IMG_1578.thumb.jpeg.de717803db70789a9788f335e08fa336.jpeg

IMG_1616.thumb.jpeg.5605d9ee0d069ade9eef704684dd20ea.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

So, a Keller-to-Solis update.  When we boarded, I was told that there would be no physical change to the space itself, and therefore the changeover could & would happen overnight from April 4th to the 5h, i.e., the 4th would be Keller & the 5th would be Solis.  (Btw, it’s pronounced so-LEASE, accent on 2nd syllable). However, I just chatted with Jodi who told me they aren’t even sure yet what day next week it will re-open - it’s barricaded so obvs there are some physical changes happening, although I suppose some-or-most of them might be back in the kitchen itself.  It’s my understanding that Keller insisted on overhauling a lot of the ovens and appliances that were to be used for his menu, so that may be the bulk of what’s going on behind the curtain.   I hope they aren’t changing the look of the room too much, I really like the warm, clubby atmosphere.  Especially considering what came before - anybody else remember the stark ugly red/purple and black awfulness that was “Restaurant 2”?

IMG_1686.thumb.jpeg.a4a2192e815ce3901fb3b9874a7c21b4.jpeg

Edited by shark b8

And speaking of Ross and Keller…..in the Salon a few days ago Ross told the story (and considering the circumstances, he’s now free to tell it) of the last time Keller was onboard for meetings and planning and execution of TKG.  After the meetings were over, Ross approached Keller and asked him to sign Ross’s copy of one of Keller’s cookbooks, and Keller said “get out of my way”.   😡

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

[anybody else remember the stark ugly red/purple and black awfulness that was “Restaurant 2”?]

(*shudder*)

IMG_9349.jpeg.c541857192db848ca0b0ef818ae19147.jpeg

What's wrong with the bordello look 😁?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

anybody else remember the stark ugly red/purple and black awfulness that was “Restaurant 2”?]

Flashbacks every time I recreate the white tomato soup I first had there…the picture you posted is pretty hideous and accurate, but some of the food was pretty good.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

….but some of the food was pretty good.

Oh yes, for sure.  we still remember a dish they called “caviar in the cloud”, which was some sort of white, small baked potato thing with sour cream and caviar.  (It was a lot better than my simplistic description)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A quick internet search yields this “caviar in the cloud” pic from someone’s travel blog, years ago.  It’s possible my memory of the dish is…..pretty detached from the reality.  😧  Whatever it was, we loved it.

IMG_9357.thumb.jpeg.4716be877819c066894833e756fd7c0a.jpeg

Edited by shark b8

I think there was a falling out of love between Seabourn and Keller quite some time ago.  He insisted on having his own type of oven etc. in the galley, and apparently was very demanding - though pleasant enough to passengers when he was first on board (we were there as it was being set up).  Once it was functioning, there was the odd very opaque hint from staff that they were not too keen on him.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I think there was a falling out of love between Seabourn and Keller quite some time ago……there was the odd very opaque hint from staff that they were not too keen on him.

I suspect you’re spot on.  And since I come from decades of stage theater management, the notion of high profile actor/celebrity types who are charming and gracious when in the spotlight and when the cameras are on, but extremely different behind the scenes, well, all too familiar.  Ah well.  Time to turn the page.  We’ll have at least one Solis meal so will happily report.

• Like 2

Everybody likes warm sunny clear weather, but I also think it’s fun to mix it up a bit.  As we sail away from Senzaki it’s that mysterious-looking 50-shades-of-grey kind of look, from the veranda.

IMG_1690.thumb.jpeg.8cceb4f4b59cb987a23a3ce6d2c79189.jpeg

IMG_1688.thumb.jpeg.a79b7f1a645e09f10a983c8197e9fb8f.jpeg

• Like 5