Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

2 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

So we generally eat an early dinner and when we have gone into the solarium after dinner, it is essentially a ghost town, and later at night it truly is and we have the pool to ourselves.

Kids being in the pools outside of the specified hours is definitely and issue, no doubt, but I think Celebrity chose hours that would impact guests the least. How many people on here truly are in that pool between 4 and 7 pm?

Maybe they should just do 6 to 9, which would bother even less people based on our experiences. Maybe 4 is too early?

This is really more about not having kids at all on Celebrity. Yes on Disney we have seen lots of entitled parents, but if I am being honest we have seen more entitlement on X than any other line. It is still a small percentage, but it is there. Most folks though are super friendly:)

No.  For the last time, no, we are not asking for kids or families to be kicked off the ship.  Stop saying that.  We want families and kids to be considerate of others when using a shared resource assigned as adults only.

You have families taking over entire hot tubs and a pool you can’t use because they’re full of kids.  I find it relaxing to use a quiet adult only area before dinner.  I guess I’m a jerk for expecting an adults only area to be quiet and relaxing?

And if I read one more person saying “But adults are worse”, I think I’ll stop cruising.  Yay!

I sometimes go past a specialty restaurant on board that’s not full.  Should they invite passengers in for a free meal if there is room?  It’s what they do in the Solarium.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, zitsky said:

No.  For the last time, no, we are not asking for kids or families to be kicked off the ship.  Stop saying that.  We want families and kids to be considerate of others when using a shared resource assigned as adults only.

You have families taking over entire hot tubs and a pool you can’t use because they’re full of kids.  I find it relaxing to use a quiet adult only area before dinner.  I guess I’m a jerk for expecting an adults only area to be quiet and relaxing?

And if I read one more person saying “But adults are worse”, I think I’ll stop cruising.  Yay!

I sometimes go past a specialty restaurant on board that’s not full.  Should they invite passengers in for a free meal if there is room?  It’s what they do in the Solarium.

Poor you!

You don't like the policy

Take a different trip

There are many times places get crowded on the ship. I think too many, myself included, had gotten used to sailing with fewer passengers on board. Now ships sail at capacity.Pools get crowded. Sometimes we have to alter expectations.

If you know ahead of time that family time is 5-7,( as you obviously do) then stay away during those hours if families annoy you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

But adults are worse 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

So, what is the issue, choices below? This may be different answers for everyone.

1. Kids should not be allowed in the solarium pool area at all?

2. The times Celebrity chose are not good times, perhaps shift later?

3. Parents bringing there kids into the solarium at any time of the day and the staff allowing it?

42 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

So, what is the issue, choices below? This may be different answers for everyone.

3. Parents bringing there kids into the solarium at any time of the day and the staff allowing it?

Set a  policy for limited hrs, post the rules and enforce them no exceptions....  And  keep kids out of hot tubs!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

🙄

I’m trying to answer with a straight face.

Do I like kids?  Yes.

Do I live in an adults only HOA?  No.

Do I still cruise on Viking?  No.

Do I think kids should be allowed in an adults only area designated as such by the cruise line?  No.

And for the yahoo who told me to go somewhere else, I think I have as much of a right to be on a ship as you do.  And more of a right to use an adult only area than kids do.

I’m not joking when I say both the hot tubs and pool were completely unusable during family time on my last cruise.

You think that your kids have a right to go anywhere?  Disney is right over there.

Maybe kids should be allowed to drink alcohol when the bar is not busy.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

You think that your kids have a right to go anywhere?  Disney is right over there.

The Disney reference cracks me up, because there were conversations like this on the Disney board I was on, because of the parents that would insist on bringing their child with them into the adult only area.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

None of the above

Cranky old people listen…..

Children are seldom choosing to go into the solarium pool….its a “backup” to the outdoor pool when the weather is really bad. Let the kids have a good time….better they should frolic in the warm, indoor pool under CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES……than they should be running up and down the halls chasing each other while we try to afternoon nap…….

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tiff2 said:

Children are seldom choosing to go into the solarium pool….its a “backup” to the outdoor pool when the weather is really bad. Let the kids have a good time….better they should frolic in the warm, indoor pool under CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES……than they should be running up and down the halls chasing each other while we try to afternoon nap…….

So instead of bothering you the kids should bother me?

Do I want the poor, starving, freezing minions to press their face longingly against the door as I’m fanned by palm fronds in 85F heat and fed grapes?  No.

Children are “seldom” going in the pool?  Are you kidding me?

Was I the one who decided the Solarium is adult only?

I have a great idea.  Since it’s selfish to dedicate a space to adults only we’re going to let the kids use your cabin for two hours to warm up.  I’ll be in the Solarium.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tiff2 said:

Ageism now?  

Let then frolic during allowed hrs or in your shower!

• Haha 1

Interesting how you first criticize kids for being kids but get so offended regarding perceived ageism.  Celebrity has made the decision to provide very limited access to the Solarium for children.  If you dislike it so much, why won't you use another cruise line?  Losing customers may be the best incentive for changing policy.

9 minutes ago, docsneeze said:

Interesting how you first criticize kids for being kids but get so offended regarding perceived ageism.  Celebrity has made the decision to provide very limited access to the Solarium for children.  If you dislike it so much, why won't you use another cruise line?  Losing customers may be the best incentive for changing policy.

At work they took out the Coke vending machine.  I like Coke.  I can’t even get a Pepsi.  It’s only diet or zero.  Really.

If I listened to you I would quit.  But my husband needs the health insurance.

Would you people PLEASE stop telling me to pick another cruise line because they ran out of cotton towels in the bathroom?

”I didn’t like the wine in Tuscan last night.”

”Maybe you should pick a different cruise line?”

🙄

2 hours ago, tiff2 said:

Children are seldom choosing to go into the solarium pool….its a “backup” to the outdoor pool when the weather is really bad. Let the kids have a good time….better they should frolic in the warm, indoor pool under CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES……than they should be running up and down the halls chasing each other while we try to afternoon nap…

21 minutes ago, docsneeze said:

I don’t think this is perceived ageism.  It is ageism.  

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

My opinion is that the only time that X is sailable is when school is in session.

Have you done a TA on Celebrity?

3 hours ago, tiff2 said:

oh wait a minute. our experience with kids in the solarium not during family hours, the weather was NOT bad.  Sunny warm afternoons.    

If you feel the need to insult, dont bother posting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, docsneeze said:

been with X  since Mercury and on almost all the ships multiple timre..not going away from X  & no objection to limited access by well supervised children into the Adult Only area

but not returning to this thread..all opinions have been  expressed

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

been with X  since Mercury and on almost all the ships multiple timre..not going away from X  & no objection to limited access by well supervised children into the Adult Only area

but not returning to this thread..all opinions have been  expressed

Excuse me!  I still have a few more opinions!

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Not yet.  I don't have the vacation time.  

Very very few kids and they are genrally very young, i.e. stroller age.  There were 5 on my TA in 2022.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Was I the one who decided the Solarium is adult only?

Well the ones that declared it adult only, are the ones that have decided to make the provision for kids to use the pool for a time. So in theory that should be ok right?

The ageism post is just rude, and that post should be pulled. As I stated before parents on Disney complained as well when they were trying to get some quiet time too. 

10 hours ago, highway180 said:

Poor you!

You don't like the policy

Take a different trip

There are many times places get crowded on the ship. I think too many, myself included, had gotten used to sailing with fewer passengers on board. Now ships sail at capacity.Pools get crowded. Sometimes we have to alter expectations.

If you know ahead of time that family time is 5-7,( as you obviously do) then stay away during those hours if families annoy you...

Under 600 on the Connie was amazing and I didn’t see a kid all week. We practically lived in the T pool.