PG Taking a lot of hits on other cruise boards

pappy1022

There is a lot of negative criticism circulating on other cruise line discussion boards about Paul Gauguin (PG) cruises. Much of that criticism is pointed at the parent company Ponant especially for how they handled things during COVID. Reportedly they refused to give refunds when cruises were cancelled during the epidemic. Quality concerns have also been brought up. For those of you who have been on PG recently (2023-2034), what have your experiences been? I cruised with Regent, self proclaimed best cruise line in the world, and I admit it was very good but it wasn’t up to the pre COVID standards for service and food. I have a PG Tahiti cruise booked for 2025 and all the criticism made me think about whether I would be better going with Windstar.

I can't speak to PG before or after the Ponant takeover, but I can give you context about those complaints about Ponant's Covid cancellation policies.  We had a Ponant cruise booked for New Zealand for March 2020; New Zealand shut down the day before we were due to fly out (stranding the passengers on the cruise before ours for three days before they "generously" let them get off and go straight to the airport).  Ponant's T&C promised that we could get our money back in such circumstances, but they refused and forced us to take a 125% FCC.

We used the FCC to book the same itinerary for January 2021 – and of course New Zealand didn't reopen in time for that.  Ponant again wanted to force us to take FCC, but our Travel Agent was able to get them to give our money back (the original 100%, not the extra or any interest).  She indicated that our being NYS residents may have helped in this (Ponant USA is located in NY).

So yes, they were playing fast and loose with the T&C.  But the 125% was generous enough that our rebooked cruise got us a better cabin, if only it had been able to sail.  And we have sailed with Ponant again, because their ships and their itineraries are still very attractive.

We were on the PG for our 8th time this past July. We are trying Windstar in July of this year.

Returning guests notice little things.  No flowers in the rooms.  No fruit in the rooms.  No petit fours after dinner, only the same poor cookies every night.  At the repeaters cocktail party the captain was expected but did not even have the courtesy to show up.

New cruisers are offered OBC and a credit which rivals my discount although I have been on the ship 8 times.  The PG fare has gone up and air is now no longer included.  I am paying $2800 per person all in on the Windstar for one of the newer midship window cabins.  277 sq feet on the Windstar vs 200 on the PG.  While I love the crew on the PG I have my doubts that the price difference is worth it

i realize PG is all inclusive but we don’t drink.  Even if we added in the all inclusive rate of $89 per person per night on the Windstar we would still be saving about $1-1.5k per person on Windstar. 

After  my last cruise I sent a lengthy email to PG expressing my concerns.  They acknowledged receipt but never contacted me   I hope the Windstar is fantastic 

10 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

There is a lot of negative criticism circulating on other cruise line discussion boards about Paul Gauguin (PG) cruises. Much of that criticism is pointed at the parent company Ponant especially for how they handled things during COVID. Reportedly they refused to give refunds when cruises were cancelled during the epidemic. Quality concerns have also been brought up. For those of you who have been on PG recently (2023-2034), what have your experiences been? I cruised with Regent, self proclaimed best cruise line in the world, and I admit it was very good but it wasn’t up to the pre COVID standards for service and food. I have a PG Tahiti cruise booked for 2025 and all the criticism made me think about whether I would be better going with Windstar.

Maybe I see things differently 🤷🏻‍♀️ but I'm not going to let parent company Ponant's response to a once in 100-year global catastrophe color everything that they do going forward. I'm sure if I had lost money I would feel differently, but that's not my situation, and that's why I buy really good trip insurance. I travel a lot , and I had trips that were planned and canceled during the pandemic where I had to advocate for myself in order to get refunds from airlines, hotels, and tours, everyone was in the same boat and no one knew how the world would change on the other side of this giant dilemma. I'm sure there are lots of enterprises out there who would like a do-over. But, if the product that they are selling me now is solid and I feel like they are responsible partners, I'm was willing to take that risk and I'm glad I did. This was the vacation of a lifetime on PG, and I only hope others can have the same experience. If we can go back sometime soon, and will be on Paul Gauguin 🧜🏻‍♀️

We sailed in June of 2023 - I don't think the itineraries are out for 2034 yet 😉

Edited by TheDarkestBlue
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

We were on the PG for our 8th time this past July. We are trying Windstar in July of this year.

Returning guests notice little things.  No flowers in the rooms.  No fruit in the rooms.  No petit fours after dinner, only the same poor cookies every night.  At the repeaters cocktail party the captain was expected but did not even have the courtesy to show up.

New cruisers are offered OBC and a credit which rivals my discount although I have been on the ship 8 times.  The PG fare has gone up and air is now no longer included.  I am paying $2800 per person all in on the Windstar for one of the newer midship window cabins.  277 sq feet on the Windstar vs 200 on the PG.  While I love the crew on the PG I have my doubts that the price difference is worth it

i realize PG is all inclusive but we don’t drink.  Even if we added in the all inclusive rate of $89 per person per night on the Windstar we would still be saving about $1-1.5k per person on Windstar. 

After  my last cruise I sent a lengthy email to PG expressing my concerns.  They acknowledged receipt but never contacted me   I hope the Windstar is fantastic 

I hope the Windstar is fantastic for you Medic 🙂 but your issues have more to do with your very idiosyncratic stand as someone who has gone on that ship and those itineraries 8 times now. Very few cruisers here are coming from the same place as you. I'm glad you have found a way to save money and still get down there. I did what I could to try and get you that referral money from Ponant last year, perhaps that would have sweetened the deal for you, but I suspect you knew my work was in vain.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. We had Petit fours every night in June, and as far as we're concerned, we don't spend enough time in the room to care about flowers or fruit, especially when there is so much lush scenery around, I sip coffee on my actual balcony, and I could care less about meeting the Captain, ever. Perhaps it's generational, but these things are so low on my priorities they don't register 💁🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by TheDarkestBlue
  • Like 3

Aloha. Blessed to sail since the 1970s and with various cruise lines and ships. It is impossible to compare in my opinion yesteryear and now. The cruise lines in my opinion really don't care about loyalty as much. Too many cruisers. I love the yum yum man on HAL and order off the menu in QG on Canard etc etc but really don't need nor care to meet the captain and cruise director. That said I expect my moneys worth and it is an individual opinion but its our choice to make and these forums provide an excellent tool to see what is going on and changes and experiences being encountered.

• Like 1

pappy1022, if you look back to Covid era on THIS forum you’ll see posts reporting that many PG guests that were canceled by Ponant had to resort to credit card charge back to recover their payments for a cruise that wasn’t. Of course, the problem with a 125% FCC is that there is no guarantee that the line won’t increase fares to 150% (which it pretty much did). And that’s why all other lines I know of gave the option of a 100% cash refund. 

• Thanks 1

Have to agree with a lot of what FlightMedic555 said. We've sailed on the PG under Seven Seas, under Richard Bailey's company, and under Ponant. Under Ponant there is definitely a tightening of the pursestrings. Lower end labels on alcohol and wine. We had to explain that in-room bar setup was included in our fare. Food was ok - but understand these islands are isolated and most provisions have to be flown in.

Other than that - the ship is great. But the staff is WONDERFUL.  I don't think you'll find a crew on any ship that is more friendly, knowledgable, and anxious to please. Oh, and they will be calling you by your name on the first day!

Reviews I've heard from other vessels sailing Polynesia are much less enthusiastic about the crew.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on PG 16 times ...

As Medic stated for us that have going for decades we see some differences. PG is still a wonderful experience. 

Star Breeze is the new kid in town. She is now in FP full time. Have several cruises booked on her in 2024 and 2025. Star Breeze has some good things going for it.

Without going into great detail as everyone has their beliefs I'll simply say the big 3 cruise lines that are full time in FP is the way to go. All 3 have the Polynesian Mana. You will not find that on cruise lines that come to FP for a few months or passing through. 

The big 3 are ... PG (Ponant), Star Breeze (Windstar) and the Aranui 5. 

Stick with the big 3 😉

• 2 weeks later...

This past November was our fourth cruise on the PG, each time under different ownership (2004, 2009, 2014, and now 2023). This most recent cruise in November (a 10-day) was absolutely our FAVORITE of the four. The food, beverages, and as mentioned by most - the STAFF and SERVICE! - were all exceptional.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the negative comments on other boards about PG, I am sticking to my decision to cruise with them in 2025. A lot has changed in the cruise industry, and travel industry as a whole, after COVID. Even the ultra luxury cruise lines are struggling to provide the level of service to pre COVID standards, because of cost cutting (paying for large debt), staff turnover and a shortage of workers, etc., etc. My choice did boil down to PG and Windstar because they are smaller ships that are in the FP year round. Can’t wait for our cruise next year.

• Like 1