Confused about Mariner Days Awarded

Princess may, but Carnival doesn't.  Most of my 30+ cruises on Carnival have been as a solo.  It's 1 point per night sailed, period.  No credit for onboard spending, so I'm not going to complain about HAL's program at all.  And you get some tangible benefits from HAL (as a 3 star, I'll take my 25% discounts, thanks).

I have yet to figure out how my onboard spending points have been calculated.  On Eurodam last month (11 nights) I had HIA.  I also visited the spa.  I got 8 spending points.  Yes, I was solo, so that calculation for the signature drinks doesn't get me the max per day.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I have yet to figure out how my onboard spending points have been calculated.  On Eurodam last month (11 nights) I had HIA.  I also visited the spa.  I got 8 spending points.  Yes, I was solo, so that calculation for the signature drinks doesn't get me the max per day.

Yes it is not fair for solos! The SBP calculation for you is $11x15 per day ($165pd) whereas two adults in a cabin EACH get 11x15x2 or $330/day and don't need to spend any more. (Although we came up 2 Mariner points shy of double in January '23...)

You got 6 points from the drink package, plus credit for the other aspects of HIA probably another Point, and then your spa spending rounded it up to 8. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That's the problem.  In just a few years everyone will be a 4* and then HAL will need to water down the benefits of the program.  4* will become the new 2*

Yeah. I'll go from 2* to 4* just this summer.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

17 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

So do Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

HAL, to my knowledge, is the only stingy outlier in this matter. 

Well, I'll be.......Pete @The Inside Cabin just reported that at the Q&A with the president of HAL, Gus Antorcha tonight was asked about the points for solos.  He apparently said they will look into it.

From Pete's post #386:  "question about single supplement- can we get double mariner  point bonus.     Gus sounds like this may happen."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Yes it is not fair for solos! The SBP calculation for you is $11x15 per day ($165pd) whereas two adults in a cabin EACH get 11x15x2 or $330/day and don't need to spend any more. (Although we came up 2 Mariner points shy of double in January '23...)

You got 6 points from the drink package, plus credit for the other aspects of HIA probably another Point, and then your spa spending rounded it up to 8. 

Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering how that worked. Since our booking (16-night transpacific) is under the Early Booking Bonus, I would assume we would be credited with on-board spend for the Elite Beverage Package, Premium Wi-Fi, two specialty dining credits, and gratuities, since all those are included in the promo fare? Adding in the non refundable OBC we have (currently $700, without having applied for shareholder credit yet) and will probably spend, that could add up to several additional days’ credit.

On 2/25/2024 at 6:32 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

So do Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

HAL, to my knowledge, is the only stingy outlier in this matter. 

Princess also gives double points and has done so for years. 

6 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Since our booking (16-night transpacific) is under the Early Booking Bonus, I would assume we would be credited with on-board spend for the Elite Beverage Package, Premium Wi-Fi, two specialty dining credits, and gratuities, since all those are included in the promo fare? Adding in the non refundable OBC we have (currently $700, without having applied for shareholder credit yet) and will probably spend, that could add up to several additional days’ credit.

You can only be awarded one $pend Point per actual day sailing, so anything above the Signature Beverage Package (for two in a room) does not add anything.

Having the EBB upgrades would help a solo sailor some, though! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crystalspin said:

You can only be awarded one $pend Point per actual day sailing, so anything above the Signature Beverage Package (for two in a room) does not add anything.

Having the EBB upgrades would help a solo sailor some, though! 

I played with the numbers and came up just short of one spend point per cruise day regardless of how much I overestimated the counting. Probably doesn't matter, since we would (at best) get close to 3-star status, while the Mariner benefits really don't get impressive until reaching 4-star.

By the way, I said it was 16 days, but our reservation says 15 days. Their number fails to account for eastbound crossing the International Date Line (April 30 happens twice on this trip), so I'm not even sure how many base nights will be credited.