Special occasion recognition

jlad

Nothing for us aboard Vista in August 2023, celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. Our TA said she submitted this information to Oceania. I don’t know if do anything for special occasions, or if there was communication gaffe for our situation. 

My wife's birthday was during our Marina cruise in 2018. We'd booked Jacques for dinner. We'd not mentioned the birthday - we'd never mention a special occasion. But they must have picked up the date from their records. Late in the meal, the manager whispered to me that "something" was going to happen. Cake, with candle, delivered to the table by servers singing Happy Birthday.  Nice of them, of course, but we both felt a bit embarrassed. Hanoj's info might suggest they've stopped doing this sort of thing. 

• Like 3

We tell Oceania ahead of the trip, tell our TA,  tell the Maitre d  and even our Butler, if we have one, of the special occasions so special cakes are delivered to the table in lieu of the regular desert menus.  Special occasions are special so we don’t want a communion error to adversely affect our celebration. Many times we have booked Privee for our special occasions with friends and they never fail to deliver something SPECIAL. Songs are also provided. 
Room Stewards have also dressed up the room as well when they have known about the occasion. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were eating in Polo on my Birthday once and they brought a cake. The funniest thing is they had my middle name on it. No body uses my middle name, maybe they put it on the cake because it's shorter than my first name. We have no idea why they did it. Of course they have files on all of us. 

• Haha 1

Oops, communication error, not a communion error. Definitely ask for a special remembrance when on your O cruise because the cakes can be REALLY great. Here is another one for you.  We have a friend who LOVES O’s Key Lime Pie so their Butler had delivered to their room every night about 9:00 a piece of Key Lime Pie. She was in Heaven. 
Enjoy,
Mauibabes. 

• Like 1

A couple at the next table in Toscana (Sirena) 18 months ago graciously shared a spectacular birthday cake with all in the restaurant who accepted.  It arrived at their table accompanied by 5-6 singing waiters.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harters said:

My wife's birthday was during our Marina cruise in 2018. We'd booked Jacques for dinner. We'd not mentioned the birthday - we'd never mention a special occasion. But they must have picked up the date from their records. Late in the meal, the manager whispered to me that "something" was going to happen. Cake, with candle, delivered to the table by servers singing Happy Birthday.  Nice of them, of course, but we both felt a bit embarrassed. Hanoj's info might suggest they've stopped doing this sort of thing. 

Nope, they still do it.  A couple next to us had a "Happy birthday" song and cake a few days ago.

• Like 1

I'd honestly rather have the server arrived with a special dessert to be shared and a nice card wishing the person(s) happy whatever. Those public, loud things I find just embarrassing .

• Like 4

We didn’t mention in to O, but our cabin steward heard that it was a big wedding anniversary, and when we arrived back at our cabin, we were greeted with 2 swan towels and 45 written out in chocolates on the bed🤣.  It was really sweet of her. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

We didn’t mention in to O, but our cabin steward heard that it was a big wedding anniversary, and when we arrived back at our cabin, we were greeted with 2 swan towels and 45 written out in chocolates on the bed🤣.  It was really sweet of her. 

Much the same for us on Regatta last year.  We celebrated our Golden Anniversary on board, and on returning from breakfast found our room decorated and an anniversary card.  In the evening, after our Polo Grill lobster, discovered the usual evening chocolate had multiplied into a heart-shaped display.  All very welcome and appreciated.

Australia 22-404.JPG

Australia 22-411.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I celebrated a birthday in November onboard Regatta.  My husband checked ahead of time with the Executive Concierge who said that they'd already noted the occasion.  That evening we ate in Toscana and I was presented with a small cake with a candle at the end of the meal.  Waiters sang Happy Birthday.  It was very nice and the cake was delicious.  Later in the evening when we returned to our cabin, it was decorated with balloons and a banner saying, "Happy Birthday".  

We've also celebrated anniversaries onboard.  These have typically gone unnoticed except on the occasion when my husband again talked to the Executive Concierge a day or two ahead of time and they presented us with a cake at the conclusion of our dinner.  We ate in a specialty restaurant on those occasions.  

Oceania may not surprise one with a celebration if the occasion is not brought to their attention but they will certainly do something to mark an occasion if asked to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have had a decorated cabin for our birthdays, a cake each time as well.  There was one. blip which was funny as a previous TA had given Oceania the wrong date for our wedding anniversary and Oceania celebrated it one month before the actual date, upon finding it was the wrong date, we received another cake on our actual anniversary.  The cakes are delicious and if we are not sharing a table, we ask the staff to share the cake later.

• Like 2

We celebrated our 10th anniversary on a Riviera cruise - this was right after the pandemic so we scored a once in a lifetime Oceania suite at a once in a lifetime price. Unfortunately, our butler asked my husband what, if anything, we/he wanted to celebrate our anniversary. He couldn't come up with anything... so that's what we got.. 🤭

• Haha 2