Dinosaur wifi question

Sailingpeace

If you are ok with wifi on land at port destinations and only need wifi twice a day on sea days is there still a thing as Internet café login  of some sort.  I write my emails  off line, get connected for a few minutes as they get sent and the new ones come in. Later in the day I reply and write new ones ( if needed) and connect again for a few minutes. When in port I may take more time to connect. WIFI packages ( even at 50%) seem a lot for that. 

p.s. not that I am not a wifi person, just that I take a break when on a cruise. Ship phone ( yes $$$$$$$) , available for real emergencies. 

Edited by Sailingpeace

What you describe reminds me of Juno or Netzero in the late '90's. (Back then, dial-up, send and receive, hang-up.) I also recall Celebrity had a function where you could write a few lines on an emailed "postcard" from their onboard site, but you couldn't receive anything back. I haven't seen anything like that recently. Interested to know, but I'll stick with my phone.

I might suggest, depending on where you're going, to check with your cell phone provider about international service. We too digitally disconnect on the ship, but when in port, check emails and messages.

41 minutes ago, Sailingpeace said:

If you are ok with wifi on land at port destinations and only need wifi twice a day on sea days is there still a thing as Internet café login  of some sort.  I write my emails  off line, get connected for a few minutes as they get sent and the new ones come in. Later in the day I reply and write new ones ( if needed) and connect again for a few minutes. When in port I may take more time to connect. WIFI packages ( even at 50%) seem a lot for that. 

p.s. not that I am not a wifi person, just that I take a break when on a cruise. Ship phone ( yes $$$$$$$) , available for real emergencies. 

You would need to pay for each day you used the internet.   Suggest looking at the cost of gratuities, and beverages you might buy and internet cost.  Possibly Princess Plus would be cheaper.

2 hours ago, Sailingpeace said:

Not sure the point of thiS post.  A rant about internet cost ( it's not wifi).  Or is this a rant about speed?  It has improved a lot in past few months with new satellite service.

Since Princess went to Starlink, there is no more internet/wifi by the minute.  You will need to purchase:

Plus or Premier

Internet package for the entire cruise

Or pay by the day at full price plus a little more than daily wifi package. (not sure if platinum/elite discount applies for by the day)

How port intensive is your cruise?  Can you "live" without connecting for a day or two?  

If you have an iPhone, iMessaging sometimes works (hit and miss) for texting

WhatApp also works for texting

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure the point of thiS post.  A rant about internet cost ( it's not wifi).  Or is this a rant about speed?  It has improved a lot in past few months with new satellite service.

Totally not a rant, I have alyays been absolutely ok with ship Internet services. Just asking as this time I will barely need a few minutes on some sea days and little "dinosaur" me remembered old days with services at Internet Cafe and I wondered if there was something other than full day packages. 

Edited by Sailingpeace

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Since Princess went to Starlink, there is no more internet/wifi by the minute.  You will need to purchase:

Plus or Premier

Internet package for the entire cruise

Or pay by the day at full price plus a little more than daily wifi package. (not sure if platinum/elite discount applies for by the day)

How port intensive is your cruise?  Can you "live" without connecting for a day or two?  

If you have an iPhone, iMessaging sometimes works (hit and miss) for texting

WhatApp also works for texting

Thanks for the nice reply and the suggestions with the iPhone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sailingpeace said:

Totally not a rant, I have alyays been absolutely ok with ship Internet services. Just asking as this time I will barely need a few minutes on some sea days and little "dinosaur" me remembered old days with services at Internet Cafe and I wondered if there was something other than full day packages. 

Yes, it was nice in the past how it worked with minutes you could purchase and use up, but sadly that is no more. 

14 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Yes, it was nice in the past how it worked with minutes you could purchase and use up, but sadly that is no more. 

Not sad at all in my corner because those minutes were costly and disappeared in no time, not to mention the logout issues and losing minutes.

• Like 2

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Not sad at all in my corner because those minutes were costly and disappeared in no time, not to mention the logout issues and losing minutes.

Agreed, the new system is better for people who use the internet more frequently onboard. I know for me with my work demands it’s definitely easier and I do like not worrying about logging out or running out of minutes. 

But for those like the OP who just want to do a few brief check ins, a package with a finite number of minutes would be a nice option. It’s too bad Princess can’t offer both and let people choose what works best for their personal situation. 

5 hours ago, Sailingpeace said:

Thanks for the nice reply and the suggestions with the iPhone.

Also note that it is actually possible to purchase internet just for the days that you want to check emails...but it is for a full 24 hours...not by the minute.