How to Compare Cruises (Prices) when I don't know Alcohol/Specialty Prices

Hi.

I am trying to compare costs to RCCL balcony and a cruise in Haven on NCL (which we usually sail).

I know the Haven will come out more expensive, but I'm trying to figure out how much more. I have a fab group rate on a balcony

cabin for April 13, 2025 on Odyssey but my dh and I will still purchase the alcohol package as well as 5-6 night specialty since

we don't want to eat in the MDR. However, my cruise isn't "open" yet to view the prices for these two costly additions.

I am Diamond on RCCL and understand we will get drink cards or something but we will get use out of the drink package.

On NCL I have two Cruise Next Certificates to use so this is also helpful so really trying to figure it all out while the Haven price looks

pretty good right now.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

With Royal's use of a dynamic pricing model the closest you are ever going to get on beverage packages or specialty is an educated guess.  Even with that educated guess pricing fluctuations can come out of nowhere.  Best route is to take that educated guess and pick your cruise.   Then buy whatever you want early on RCCL and cancel back as prices do fluctuate.  That of course means you've already chosen your cruise.  Depends if you are more or less risk averse.

4 minutes ago, edrussell said:

With Royal's use of a dynamic pricing model the closest you are ever going to get on beverage packages or specialty is an educated guess.  Even with that educated guess pricing fluctuations can come out of nowhere.  Best route is to take that educated guess and pick your cruise.   Then buy whatever you want early on RCCL and cancel back as prices do fluctuate.  That of course means you've already chosen your cruise.  Depends if you are more or less risk averse.

Thank you.

I am cruising during spring break/Easter, so what should I expect in terms of prices per person with tax, approximately for drinks and specialty.

12 minutes ago, js said:

I am Diamond on RCCL and understand we will get drink cards or something but we will get use out of the drink package.

Financially, the package only makes sense if you know for sure you will drink more than about 10 alcoholic drinks per day.

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Financially, the package only makes sense if you know for sure you will drink more than about 10 alcoholic drinks per day.

Yes, I agree but my question is that is there a price, that is above average (I'm sailing spring break/day before Easter in 2025) that I can use to approximate the cost of both the alcohol package and dining packages. I am not wondering if the packages make sense, because for me, it does LOL

1 minute ago, js said:

I can use to approximate the cost of both the alcohol package and dining packages.

Find the webtool hack thread in which you can look at the planner on any ship - that will show prices for both packages.

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Find the webtool hack thread in which you can look at the planner on any ship - that will show prices for both packages.

Thank you.

It is called hack thread. Type slowly I'm computer illiterate LOL

4 hours ago, js said:

Hi.

I am trying to compare costs to RCCL balcony and a cruise in Haven on NCL (which we usually sail).

I know the Haven will come out more expensive, but I'm trying to figure out how much more. I have a fab group rate on a balcony

cabin for April 13, 2025 on Odyssey but my dh and I will still purchase the alcohol package as well as 5-6 night specialty since

we don't want to eat in the MDR. However, my cruise isn't "open" yet to view the prices for these two costly additions.

On NCL I have two Cruise Next Certificates to use so this is also helpful so really trying to figure it all out while the Haven price looks

pretty good right now.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

If it is not available in your cruise planner then the hack thread is useless.  The hack thread is only helpful before someone has booked a cruise 

You can use it to compare prices for that ship on other dates but understand that those may be completely off what they will charge on your cruise.

With getting 4 free drinks a day you will need to drink another 6-7 to "break even" on your package...that's everyday, including port days.

Drink pkg varies per ship and sail date but assume it's $85 pp per day + 18% gratuity

Ultimate dining pkg estimate for a 7 night cruise can cost around $325 plus 18% gratuity. 

Sales on black friday may or may not be in your favor.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Drink pkg varies per ship and sail date but assume it's $85 pp per day + 18% gratuity

Ultimate dining pkg estimate for a 7 night cruise can cost around $325 plus 18% gratuity. 

I would estimate the deluxe drink package at $75 per day, assuming you check their website every day. I have never paid more than that on any cruise. Even when I was as on Icon a few weeks ago, I only paid $72.99 per day for the package. I do miss the pre COVID days when I usually paid in the $50s per day for the package. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would estimate the deluxe drink package at $75 per day, assuming you check their website every day. I have never paid more than that on any cruise. Even when I was as on Icon a few weeks ago, I only paid $72.99 per day for the package. I do miss the pre COVID days when I usually paid in the $50s per day for the package. 

I suggested they assume $85 for their comparison since pricing keeps going up and who knows what the price will be for a cruise over a year from now.

My cruise leaving this weekend has also been selling for $72.99 for quite a while.

Will it be just you and DH or are kids in the equation.  We were in the Haven and the dining area was nice.  But the Haven area pool and hot tub was taken over by kids.  The parents sat in the lounge area hanging out with their other adults and let the kids take over the place.  The staff was worn down from what I saw.

Edited by Kmermaid

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If it is not available in your cruise planner then the hack thread is useless.  The hack thread is only helpful before someone has booked a cruise 

You can use it to compare prices for that ship on other dates but understand that those may be completely off what they will charge on your cruise.

With getting 4 free drinks a day you will need to drink another 6-7 to "break even" on your package...that's everyday, including port days.

Thank you. It is not available in my cruise planner and I'm not concerted about the Diamond drinks. I am confident from past experiences that the alcohol package is to be purchased. I'm more about finding out an approximation of the cost so I can compare to another line.

But, if it was in my cruise planner, I wouldn't have to even ask because I could do a mock booking so not sure of a hack then?

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you so much! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your post.

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Thank you so much! I'll plan a little higher and figure it out from there but this is a great base. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Kmermaid said:

Will it be just you and DH or are kids in the equation.  We were in the Haven and the dining area was nice.  But the Haven area pool and hot tub was taken over by kids.  The parents sat in the lounge area hanging out with their other adults and let the kids take over the place.  The staff was worn down from what I saw.

We have sailed in Haven (last in August) for many years, when the kids were younger and now adults. We love the Haven and can only sail in the Haven on NCL, knowing what we would be missing LOL but we are all good on RCL balcony, although on the Odyssey, I'll miss the neighborhoods. Just wanted to get a sense of how much extra, about, Haven would compare.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

We sailed in Haven two years ago and considered it for our upcoming cruise. Honestly, for two adults and one child, we found options in Haven that were cheaper  less than a Royal balcony room plus alcohol package, depending on the ship and sailing. 

On our upcoming sailing, we have reserved the deluxe drinks package for $70.99 per person per day and the 3-meal specialty dining package for $131 per person. We felt there were enough other options that we did not need the ultimate dining package. 

Haven was a wonderful treat, and if it was just DH and I going, we would likely choose Haven. However, for a family vacation, we feel Royal has many more benefits than the NCL ships. 

Also if you like things like priority embarkation and wifi, you can get The Key. The cheapest I’ve seen it for our cruise was $35 per person per day. I will miss the designated Haven check-in line.

Edited by wampuscat7