Why binoculars?

This is an honest request for insight.

We've been cruising for 30+ years and never once have I felt the need for binoculars. I have a nice pair that belonged to my Dad, but have never packed them when on a trip or used them at all since he passed in the early '80s. I'm sure this is because I've been using some kind of camera or another since I was about 10 years old and a telephoto is my go-to for distant subjects. My mindset has always been to share my travel experiences with family and friends and "a picture is worth a thousand words" is a phrase that carries the weight of religion with me (and explains my abysmal typing skills).

Share your thoughts and opinions. 

Dave 

• Like 1

I always say "we should bring them since we have them" and some how they always get left behind.  We are going to iceland this summer on the Eclipse, lets see if they make it this time.  I would like to have them along for watchng for wildlift that is beyond the range for my 200mm lens, really a 280 when add in the crop factor but still.

I have struggled with whether to bring binoculars on a cruise. We never have, but plan to on the next one.

I have a larger pair of Nikon binoculars I use at home (rarely) to view wildlife on my property, but I recently bought a small Leupold pair that I plan to bring on our next voyage in November.

I expect to keep them on the balcony, not while on an excursion, but we'll see. They are lightweight enough that throwing them in a bag won't be overwhelming.

Although a camera and telephoto lens can sometimes work in similar fashion as binoculars (and capture pictures!), I think binoculars do still offer some advantages. And there is times, when you may prefer to just look rather than snapping photos, think for example some wildlife in distance: sure you could take photos, but perhaps nothing exciting if the animal is just a small dot in vast landscape (or seascape). But it might be still enjoyable to observe the animal from distant with binoculars, identify it and see if it is coming closer. Also since modern cameras tend to use EVFs with live view that shows an image similar what will be captured, that might be somewhat misleading (eg. show dark silhoutes), whereas binoculars (or good old optical viewfinders on [D]SLRs) show image more akin to what your naked eyes see. Also with binoculars you can look with both eyes while camera viewfinders cater only for one eye. And if the camera and lens combo is an ILC and the lens is a big heavy telephoto, it is easier to wield binoculars (assuming we are not talking about some big, heavy high-magnification binoculars).

• Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 2:56 PM, pierces said:

This is an honest request for insight.

We've been cruising for 30+ years and never once have I felt the need for binoculars. I have a nice pair that belonged to my Dad, but have never packed them when on a trip or used them at all since he passed in the early '80s. I'm sure this is because I've been using some kind of camera or another since I was about 10 years old and a telephoto is my go-to for distant subjects. My mindset has always been to share my travel experiences with family and friends and "a picture is worth a thousand words" is a phrase that carries the weight of religion with me (and explains my abysmal typing skills).

Share your thoughts and opinions. 

Dave 

A great and valid question. As a retired mariner and camera enthusiast, who carries both binoculars and cameras with long lenses, these are my thoughts.

When on a moving ship that also has some inherent vibration from machinery, magnification level is a key consideration. With binoculars, they normally suggest 7x or 8x as being the highest level to ensure a clear picture. Having used binoculars at sea for 40 years, especially on cruise ships, I can comfortably use 10x and provided the ship isn't moving significantly, routinely use 12x. On full frame, from memory I believe 12x would be similar to about a 600 mm lens.

One of the key specifications for binoculars, at least when we were using them on the Bridge, is field of view. When searching for a buoy or other navigational object, a larger field of view made it easier to locate them. Since my largest lens is a 70-200 with a 2x doubler, that is about the equivalent of 8x binoculars, or the recommended max for use on a ship.

My standard 10x50 permafocus binoculars have a significantly higher field of view than my 400 mm lens, therefore it is much easier to locate wildlife, etc with the binoculars, then switch to the camera for photos. My binoculars don't have the same clarity as Swarovskis, but they meet my needs for identifying things I then capture with a camera.

I also consider the light gathering and depth of field. My x50 binos are big and heavy, but they let in lots of light and have depth of field from about 12' to infinity. In low light situations, I find the binoculars have an additional advantage for finding wildlife, etc over searching with a lens.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing to do with cruising, but a simple answer. When I remember them, I'll take a compact pair of binoculars to a large venue concert, and occasionally a sports venue. Neither will typically allow anything more than a cell phone camera, and sometimes I'd like to see the artist, or player, with my "own eyes" instead of on the screen. 

More often than not I forget them, so it's kind of a wash...