Riverside Hotel?

On 3/9/2024 at 9:42 AM, 39august said:

Again thanks for all the info. Is there someplace really close to find a bagel for breakfast? Seems I read that a few years ago. Now looking forward to our stay in afew weeks.

The Hotel has several restaurants on premises. When we stayed previously we took a morning walk down Las Olas and passed several coffee shops and cafe's of which we visited.

We followed that up with a beautiful walk along the Riverwalk. Can't wait for our upcoming visit in mid-April for pre cruise stay.

• Like 2

I am also in the Riverside fan club😃,,,,,,I love staying here. Great location and many restaurants, all within walking distance. Also, behind the hotel is Water Taxi stop and I have done that multiple times over the years. Relaxing way to spend a few hours.

As for the hotel, I have probably stayed here at least 6 times over the past few years😃my favorite property!

• Like 2

The rooms in the old section of the hotel are in dire need of refurbishment.  (check TripAdvisor reviews). I have stayed in both the old section and the Executive Tower and would highly recommend paying extra for the Exec. Tower (especially ones with a balcony).  It is a nice, quaint hotel but we will be opting for the Hyatt Centric a few blocks down on our next visit.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2024 at 6:15 PM, FengShui@Sea said:

The rooms in the old section of the hotel are in dire need of refurbishment.  (check TripAdvisor reviews). I have stayed in both the old section and the Executive Tower and would highly recommend paying extra for the Exec. Tower (especially ones with a balcony).  It is a nice, quaint hotel but we will be opting for the Hyatt Centric a few blocks down on our next visit.

How can you tell which are which? I'm looking at the hotel website. Some room descriptions specify the "original tower" and some the "executive tower" but there's a bunch in between that don't specify. It just says 9th to 12th floor. Is that a clue in itself?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, FionaMG said:

How can you tell which are which? I'm looking at the hotel website. Some room descriptions specify the "original tower" and some the "executive tower" but there's a bunch in between that don't specify. It just says 9th to 12th floor. Is that a clue in itself?

Thanks.

Yes....the original part of the hotel is only 3 stories.

We stayed in the original part last month. The room was very nice, not in need of refurbishment. It faced a rooftop so the lower part of the window was opaque.

There was a donut shop next door where you can get bagels and pastry. We ate at the Boathouse restaurant which was great. 

We took a ride on the free Water Trolley (not the Taxi). The Taxi is nice and is a longer route on the intercoastal, but the Trolley is fun for a short, free ride on the river. It is operated by the City of Fort Lauderdale. You can catch them both right behind the hotel. Another service sponsored by the city is LauderGo, a fleet of open air electric vehicles that will take you around the downtown area all the way to the beach. You use their app and order up a ride just like Uber. When we were there in February we were in the Home 2 Suites a few blocks off of Las Olas so it was a great way to get around. It was free then but now I believe it is $2 per ride. I highly recommend the service.

We did take a cab from the Riverside to the port. In every tourist location where you are traveling between common locations, it is always wise to ask the approximate fare upfront. Never had a problem with worrying about the meter and always pay with the credit card machine. When we asked about a cab to the port the day before, they only had the last shuttle available.  We prefer a cab in Fort Lauderdale anyway. We did notice that the shuttle was still waiting there with passengers the whole 5 minutes it took for our cab to arrive. If you are anxious to get to the pier be aware that the shuttle will stop at multiple ships to drop off passengers depending on how many are in port. Fortunately Celebrity's terminals are not in the hot sun as one poster mentioned.

• Thanks 1

Lots of great information @kands6191. I knew about the sun trolley but not the water trolley or the electric vehicles. Thanks for sharing. 😊

Slight hijack of the thread topic, but what did you think of home 2 suites, as I was looking at that one too since I have some Hilton points?

5 hours ago, kands6191 said:

Another service sponsored by the city is LauderGo, a fleet of open air electric vehicles that will take you around the downtown area all the way to the beach. You use their app and order up a ride just like Uber. When we were there in February we were in the Home 2 Suites a few blocks off of Las Olas so it was a great way to get around. It was free then but now I believe it is $2 per ride. I highly recommend the service.

If the LauderGo shuttle is charging now then all of Fort Lauderdale's official tourism websites need updating (of course it would not be the first time that websites aren't updated).  I haven't seen anything about the imposition of a fare in the local news.