Travel Insurance Recommendations

6 minutes ago, kellyco said:

Does anyone have recommendations for travel insurance? Have not previously purchased it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

www.insuremytrip.com

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I buy GeoBlue Trekker Essential ANNUAL insurance.  $188 for 12 months.  Good coverage, but since I have good primary coverage already, and my credit card includes trip interruption and cancellation, lost luggage coverage, I use GeoBlue for an extra layer for medical evacuation and the high maximum payable.  It covers me for any travel 100 miles away from home or more.  So, even when I visit friends and family in the US, it will pay if needed. I consider it a good addition for $16/mo.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

I take a different approach.

I do not buy travel insurance.  There isn't a single right answer, but rather it depends on the individual and the circumstances.  I look at a number of possibilites:

First, I have a plan through MedJet Assist for medical transport if necessary.  It's a multi-year plan that covers me anywhere in the world. So, I've got the potential expense and logistical hassle of getting home covered.

Second, my current health insurance will reimburse me for medical expenses incurred while traveling, so long as I'm not in an area the US State Department has advised against traveling.  Now the critical component to this is "reimbursement", I'm going to have to foot the bill and they will pay me back.  Now, I own a business and have access to a very large amount of credit, so I can float even a large medical expense until I'm reimbursed.  Look into what your current insurance covers and consider the possibilities.

What I do not insure against is any "loss of trip" eventuality.  I travel regularly, probably in the neighborhood of twice a month, sometimes a long weekend, sometimes a week or more.  If I suddenly have to cancel a trip last minute, or cut a trip short, I might lose the cost of the trip, and I might be disappointed, but I'm no poorer. In other words, there is no huge risk or exposed liability there.  I like to say that I "self insure" in this way.  In the past ten years, I've had to cancel two trips last minute- two out of probably 150-170.  I lost about $4,000 between the two events.  Or, about $25 lost for every trip taken in that time frame.  So I have DEFINITELY made out better not buying that type of insurance for all my travels.

Now, things may change.  If professional circumstances, family issues or even health concerns suddenly increase the probability of having to cancel, I might reconsider this and hedge my bets a little differently.

There are two thought processes around travel insurance: one is "peace of mind". Some people feel better knowing they are covered.  There is some value in this, but keep in mind it's also the emotional string the insurers always pull on to sell their product.  "Peace of mind" is valuable, but how valuable is very subjective.  The other view of any insurance product (travel, homeowners, life, liability,etc.) is that it is an INVESTMENT tool.  From this view, travel insurance is almost universally considered a bad investment.

So, it's not for me, but it's a calculated decision. I encourage everyone to consider what they are insuring and why, and do what is best for them.