Pirate's LIVE Mother/Daughter Cruise On The Horizon 3/10/24-3/16/24

We were back onboard about 530. After checking in with Chris (Grandma is being transferred to a different hospital tomorrow for surgery), we decided to just do a quick Lido dinner. The menu tonight was ok, but the ‘shrooms and chicken parm were both available on the buffet, and neither of us wanted to make the effort for the MDR. So, we had dinner, and now we are back in our cabin at 8:00 talking to yall. I think I’m gonna finish my book tonight and call it a day. 

IMG_1905.png

IMG_1906.png

IMG_1907.png

• Like 8

On 3/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, pirate4me2 said:

I had grand plans to go to bed early last night, but my uncle and hubby kept me up playing cards and having a few “beginning of vacation” shots and I didn’t crawl in bed until around 10:30. Then hubby had a fire call and got back home around midnight, so my 2:30 alarm came wayyyyy too quick. I stumbled around and said goodbye to KatiePuff and Divya but forgot to tell Chris bye when I left at 3:02. Oops. 

I arrived at Mom’s at 3:12, and after being slobbered by her rotten Rottweilers we left at 3:31. It was pouring rain, and the first 3 hours of driving were awful. The interstate was not shedding water so we had to take it slow. We stopped in Orangeburg, SC at 6:22 for gas, and a quick egg & cheese biscuit from McDonalds. We continued on and once we got into GA the rain stopped. 

We stopped at 10:15 in Jacksonville, FL at my favorite horse tack store to stretch our legs, potty, and spend some moolah. We passed over the big scary bridge (random Stephanie fact: I HATE bridges) and stopped at 12:11 for Subway lunch. 

Now we are somewhere past Cape Canaveral but not to Miami, and it’s clouding up again. Mom is on a mission to spot a gator or a “swirly”, aka waterspout or tornado…I dunno why she wants to see one, or thinks she will. I think the lack of sleep has her a little looney. I just want to get to the hotel in one piece. 

IMG_8431.jpeg

I work in downtown Jax, and I can see the bridge when I'm in the office.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Thank you 

haha I wish I could get her on a cruise!! I can hear it now: “Grandma, your therapy is to walk the promenade today!” 

Thank you!

Actually, it’s a good idea.   Ack in 2009 there was that swine flu scare and cruises to the z Mexican riviera were rerouted to Vancouver.  People cancelled right and left.  I booked a B2B on Splendor dirt cheap.  The first week there was a lady at my table who had had both knees replaced over about three months.  After the second surgery they sent her to a nursing home to rehab, as there was no availability in a rehab center.  She was depressed and told the doctor she wanted to go home.  He said she could if she had someone to cook and clean for her, and room to walk.  She said she knew just where she could get that, and booked three cruises, three different ships.  And I think knees are a harder recovery than a hip, although my mother did fantastic at 80 or so.  EM

• Like 10

15 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

I work in downtown Jax, and I can see the bridge when I'm in the office.

It’s a lot pretty bridge, I just hate driving over it!! 

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Actually, it’s a good idea.   Ack in 2009 there was that swine flu scare and cruises to the z Mexican riviera were rerouted to Vancouver.  People cancelled right and left.  I booked a B2B on Splendor dirt cheap.  The first week there was a lady at my table who had had both knees replaced over about three months.  After the second surgery they sent her to a nursing home to rehab, as there was no availability in a rehab center.  She was depressed and told the doctor she wanted to go home.  He said she could if she had someone to cook and clean for her, and room to walk.  She said she knew just where she could get that, and booked three cruises, three different ships.  And I think knees are a harder recovery than a hip, although my mother did fantastic at 80 or so.  EM

I love her way of thinking!! 

Soooo mom and I didn’t truly turn in early last night. I took my contacts out about 11, and crawled under the covers…only to have her say “I can’t sleep, can we watch a movie?” We cued up Cruella…which was actually good! 

So, we slept in until 10. We got ready slowly, got coffee from Ocean Plaza bar, and had pizza and a Southwest wrap for “brunch.” We moved to the Tides bar to eat and got notice that Grandma is currently in surgery, it’s a little worse than expected and will be a partial hip replacement, so about a 4 hr surgery. I did a few shots and had a few drinks…fireball, Woodford, a rum punch, a purple rain. We are currently in the room finishing our books as we await news of how the surgery went. 

also attached are mom’s mocha chocolate getaway and our last towel animal this cruise. I like “Sid”, the towel whatever the heck it is. 

IMG_1911.jpeg

IMG_1910.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

What is Sid? Mom says a seahorse, I say…a shrimp? We dunno. Settle the argument!! Apparently he likes purple leopard print sunglasses 

IMG_1920.jpeg

Backseat Toys: Sea-Monkeys | Stuckey's

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Yes, these are, um, delicates, but I have to show yall…this is the NICEST, best treatment my delicates have ever received. At home they’re showed into a drawer unceremoniously. Here, they’re washed, delicately folded, and treated like royalty. 

side note: I ONLY send out stuff I don’t mind potentially shrinking. I will send out undies, socks, PJS, but hold back shorts, shirts, and swimwear. I know they wash and dry in high heats. I’ve yet to experience any issues. 

IMG_1921.jpeg

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

What is Sid? Mom says a seahorse, I say…a shrimp? We dunno. Settle the argument!! Apparently he likes purple leopard print sunglasses 

IMG_1920.jpeg

A chair hog?

• Haha 15

Got news that Grandmas surgery went well. It ended up being a long partial replacement. 

We spent the afternoon packing and reading on the patio. Dinner tonight came from Lido, and now we are hanging in Havana enjoying the sunset and last bit of vacation.

oh! And I found another duck! 

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Got news that Grandmas surgery went well. It ended up being a long partial replacement. 

We spent the afternoon packing and reading on the patio. Dinner tonight came from Lido, and now we are hanging in Havana enjoying the sunset and last bit of vacation.

oh! And I found another duck! 

Glad to hear the surgery went well, praying for a smooth recovery

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Platinum debark info 

IMG_1941.jpeg

Interesting that they want the "checked luggage" people to meet at 7:15 a.m.  Never saw that in any letter we have gotten.  Must want everyone off the ship asap.  We get zone 1 tags, but don't leave ship until 9-9:30 a.m. each cruise.

• Like 1

Enjoyed Your stories, sound like a good time all and all, considering Grandma's injury.

Wife and I are booked in Havana as well, so ready!!!

Safe trip Home!  Prayers for Grandma!

carn.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mamiamjo said:

Glad to hear the surgery went well, praying for a smooth recovery

Thank you 

10 hours ago, rwest898 said:

Prayers for Grandma and a speedy recovery 🙏 

Thank you so much! 

16 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Interesting that they want the "checked luggage" people to meet at 7:15 a.m.  Never saw that in any letter we have gotten.  Must want everyone off the ship asap.  We get zone 1 tags, but don't leave ship until 9-9:30 a.m. each cruise.

That is interesting!! 

11 minutes ago, threewide said:

Enjoyed Your stories, sound like a good time all and all, considering Grandma's injury.

Wife and I are booked in Havana as well, so ready!!!

Safe trip Home!  Prayers for Grandma!

carn.png

Thank you! I hope you have a great cruise! 

Some random room thoughts/comments:

*Our room, 5239, had issues with soot on the balcony all week. Room steward said that was “normal” for that room and to make sure we wiped down the furniture before we sat on it. 

*Our room was at the end of the hall next to a “crew only” door, and was a very quiet location! We heard the door open a few times, but all in all it was peaceful. 

*Room temp fluctuated a lot….we would jack the a/c all the way down and it would still be hot, so much so I would be sweating at night…then all of a sudden it would get COLD. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Some random room thoughts/comments:

*Our room, 5239, had issues with soot on the balcony all week. Room steward said that was “normal” for that room and to make sure we wiped down the furniture before we sat on it. 

*Our room was at the end of the hall next to a “crew only” door, and was a very quiet location! We heard the door open a few times, but all in all it was peaceful. 

*Room temp fluctuated a lot….we would jack the a/c all the way down and it would still be hot, so much so I would be sweating at night…then all of a sudden it would get COLD. 

We will be staying in 9471, aft wrap balcony, from what I have read deck 9 is covered by the deck 10 overhang, shields from a majority of not all the soot.  
I hope the AC works well, need it cold to sleep!😴 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, threewide said:

We will be staying in 9471, aft wrap balcony, from what I have read deck 9 is covered by the deck 10 overhang, shields from a majority of not all the soot.  

We had aft wrap 7459 and never had soot on our balcony.  Guess it depends which way the wind is blowing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, threewide said:

They looked to be pretty well covered! 

6 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

I enjoyed following along on your cruise.  Wishing you and your mom a safe drive home, and a speedy recovery to grandma.  

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, princess76021 said:

Safe travels home!!

Hugs from Texas

Thanks 

• Like 1