LIVE from the SUN Princess - 9 Mar 2024 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Second Voyage

Just now, KLM3164 said:

Yes. It has the magnet on the back but also has a stand if you want to have it on a counter/table instead. 

I reread

the deacription but only after I posted.  Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for sharing this… I just purchased one from Amazon after seeing your post. I wonder how many other people are also going to purchase one? You should receive payment for each one sold. 😂

I ordered 2.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do have to wonder how long this will last as the quality of beef served had gone down a year and so ago and several had noticed as I did.  This is a welcome change and was noted as well by our OP.  Is it due to the new ship and a lot of reviews being done?  If this is indeed a change, will we see it across the fleet?  Sorry, but my two bits is on this is being temporary except for SD locations and Signature restaurant.  

I felt the same as you re: beef, but the 2 beef servings I had in February on Regal were much better quality then those I had on Royal last September.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

First taste of a production show last night. The cast did one number in the Piazza. 

IMG_3583.mov 100.15 MB · 45 downloads  

A Backstreet Boys song from 1999 is certainly an... interesting choice for Princess.  I guess it just serves as a short demo of their dancers in the Piazza rather than any showcase of their singers.  I hope their song choice for production shows follows more in line with 5 Skies or Rock Opera i.e. classical pieces mixed with modern songs from vocal powerhouses like Kelly Clarkson.  Even the modern songs in Rock Opera (namely, the ones from "The Greatest Showman" soundtrack) were used well in showing off more complex choreography and vocal performances than previous production shows.  Seems we'll have to wait for reviews from later cruises to find out if the Sun Princess shows live up to the hype.

I will echo all the previous posts and thank you for the immense amount of info you have gathered while on your vacation!  I hope you still found time to kick back and relax between wandering around snapping photos and collecting info!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fpsphil said:

I thought the initial concepts for the piazza included the floor being able to go up and down for different entertainment, thought I also saw this feature on one of Adam Savages construction walkthroughs

@fpsphil  I spent a great deal of time during the first sailing watching a large group of technicians from the production company working in the Piazza control center.  They were programming all the shows and events that will be occurring in that venue.  That is, the lighting, sound, the giant electronic screen.  Then, the choreographers and dance supervisors were there spending hours on end, watching the singers and dancers run through the numbers that were designed for the Piazza (like the one in the clip CanadianBurger had in Post #909), During some breaks, I spoke with the techs running the boards.  One of the questions I asked, was why they weren't using the "lifts" in the Piazza.  I was told that "they still aren't functional".  In the photo below, the large central circle, and the keyhole section that the hand sanitizing stand is on, are lifts that can be raised, either individually or together, similar to that in The Arena.

image.thumb.png.7b3a75f05e794dbc91c2e942e4076f1d.png 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do have to wonder how long this will last as the quality of beef served had gone down a year and so ago and several had noticed as I did.  This is a welcome change and was noted as well by our OP.  Is it due to the new ship and a lot of reviews being done?  If this is indeed a change, will we see it across the fleet?  Sorry, but my two bits is on this is being temporary except for SD locations and Signature restaurant.  

Nothing to do with the beef being from Europe? I guess that would have been noted on previous Med cruises.

45 minutes ago, dides said:

Do you know what that circular white thing is feeding into the top of the thermostat? Seen it on room tour videos:

image.png.468b101c4c510bdf5aa8c35e79b90ec5.png

@dides I believe that is the in-room sensor for the medallion technology.  It reads the presence of which medallion(s) are present in the room.  To the left of this are a pair of switches for the bathroom lights.  In between those switches, is another sensor that detects motion coming towards the bathroom door, and turns on the light underneath the bathroom sink.  That under-sink light stays on for a specific time period, and if no other motion is detected it turns that light off.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

@dides I believe that is the in-room sensor for the medallion technology.  It reads the presence of which medallion(s) are present in the room.  

Thanks - it's a bit big and obvious, thought tech was getting smaller these days lol

Edited by dides

1 minute ago, cruisedoctor said:

That under-sink light stays on for a specific time period, and if no other motion is detected it turns that light off.  

How bright is this light? I’m hoping it’s just like a night light and not a super bright light. 

2 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

How bright is this light? I’m hoping it’s just like a night light and not a super bright light. 

It's pretty quick on other ships. You can always just close the bathroom door. Other people have taped over the sensors in the room... it's on a post close to the beginning of this AWESOME thread

58 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Two different reviews that I have seen this week refer to the Sushi Specialty Restaurant as "Makato Ocean".  But the Deck Plan shows it as being Kai Sushi.  So which is it?

@JimmyVWine  The name was originally set to be Kai Sushi.  At some point during the first sailing, it was officially changed to Makato Ocean, because it was designed by James Beard Foundation honoree Makoto Okuwa. I guess Mr. Okuwa got jealous that Britto got a venue with his name on it...so it would only be fair to have his venue include his name too.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RMorningglory said:

It's pretty quick on other ships. You can always just close the bathroom door. Other people have taped over the sensors in the room... it's on a post close to the beginning of this AWESOME thread

I’ve been on Sky, Discovery and Majestic and they didn’t have a light in the bathroom. I had to plug in a night light in the shaver outlet to have a dim light in the bathroom. The Sun is the first ship I’ve heard about that has an automatic light in the bathroom.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dides said:

Won't be covered by Plus. This is the description and price on the Crooner's menu. 

image.png.00bcfb81d9804e574ee1f0d9946a18a9.png

There are sooo many cocktails not covered by Plus in this ship 🥺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RMorningglory said:

Love the thermometer! I'm always suspicious of the actual temp compaired to those on the wall. Was it as hot in the dining rooms as people are saying about the areas around the Piazza? Any insight is helpful!

Yes. It was uncomfortably warm in the dining room, Wheelhouse, and Crooners most nights. I hope they get the environmental systems balanced better. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

@Steelers36  I had an opportunity to speak with Chef Rudi Sodamin, Princess' new Head Of Culinary Arts.  He was tasked with bringing a new level of excellence and innovation to their culinary product, environmental dining experience, and service delivery.  According to him, the Sun is the first vessel to get the upgrade, and based on their experience here, it will get incorporated elsewhere in the fleet.  He was inquiring as to my thoughts about the changes, both hits and misses.  Some of the misses I mentioned, were ones that he too had noticed, and he is in the process of seeing what could be done to improve those areas.  One of those being the bottle-neck occurring in The Eatery and lack of self-serve beverage stations there.  I was pleasantly surprised how down to earth Chef Rudi was, and his sincere interest in making improvements, to the improvements that they have already made.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

@KLM3164  While I was on the Sun's maiden voyage I spoke with the manager of the Signature dining room.  He said the prime rib "trolley" had yet to be delivered to the ship.  

Hmmmm…the Lowry’s is Dallas just closed permanently. Maybe their sending theirs to the Sun😉

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Adding to the long list of people who want to  thank you so much for taking time out of your vacation to find out SO MANY things for us about this new ship!

Come on people - 4 more posts to 1000!!!

EDIT: How did this go from post 995 to post 978?

• Author
3 hours ago, RMorningglory said:

Love the thermometer! I'm always suspicious of the actual temp compaired to those on the wall. Was it as hot in the dining rooms as people are saying about the areas around the Piazza? Any insight is helpful!

Yes. It was uncomfortably warm in the dining room, Wheelhouse, and Crooners most nights. I hope they get the environmental systems balanced better. 

Edited by chamima

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Two different reviews that I have seen this week refer to the Sushi Specialty Restaurant as "Makato Ocean".  But the Deck Plan shows it as being Kai Sushi.  So which is it?

It’s apparently Kai Sushi by Makoto. 

IMG_3760.thumb.jpeg.e283929e289003b2a84452f4f6f03d72.jpeg

IMG_3761.thumb.jpeg.947db7796fd49d5847b36977cb502c6a.jpeg

• Like 1