Cagney's with free at sea

It’s been years since we’ve sailed NCL. We are traveling with friends, each of us have one free dinner with the free at sea offer. The only date I could book earlier than 9:30 was the day of embarkation. Reservations were only available for even numbers and there will only be 5 of us. Is it ok to just tell them there’s only 5 when we get there or will we be charged for the 6th person?  Also, if some or all of us don’t board in time to make the reservation will we be charged?

Posted (edited)

@NCteacherlovescruisingNo worries.  Just book for the 6 people and show up with 5.  We've done that exact thing multiple times since they only show even number reservations.

You will not get charged.  The host will ask if each of you plan on using a specialty meal credit or if you are paying a la carte when you check-in for the reservation.

Enjoy.

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

@NCteacherlovescruisingNo worries.  Just book for the 6 people and show up with 5.  We've done that exact thing multiple times since they only show even number reservations.

You will not get charged.  The host will ask if each of you plan on using a specialty meal credit or if you are paying a la carte when you check-in for the reservation.

Enjoy.

What if we don’t make it at all or if only part of our party does?  Unfortunately, this was our only option before 9:30. 

31 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

If someone misses, have that person pay a la carte.  They ordered nothing.

p.s. If someone misses, they have bigger problems than a missed dinner.

I made reservations for 5:30. We don’t leave until 10 PM so I believe we have until 8 to board. Since we will be in Athens, I’m not sure if everyone will make it on time. 

29 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@NCteacherlovescruising

Remember that they only put about 30% of the placings on the internet and the rest are available on board.   When you board you will be able to find that there is a place to make your booking.

I wasn’t aware of this. 

29 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

That will have places at all times but some will go very quickly

But I wouldn’t want to miss out. 

I have always find the availability terrible online and pretty vast if you head to the restaurant/ specialty dining on embarkation day....but yes, book 6 if you need 5, no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I made reservations for 5:30. We don’t leave until 10 PM so I believe we have until 8 to board. Since we will be in Athens, I’m not sure if everyone will make it on time. 

You got me there - I was not thinking about that possibility.  The latest I have ever had for all aboard time is 4PM for a 6PM departure.

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What if we don’t make it at all or if only part of our party does?  Unfortunately, this was our only option before 9:30. 

There are no penalties for no shows. 
even if the whole party misses the reservation, you will not be charged. 

• Thanks 1

Did you book on the app or did you call NCL?  I would give them a call or use the chat to see if you can change to another date and time. Failing that, I would do it once onboard. 

in practice, there is no penalty for a no show, particularly on embarkation day and particularly if it's only one or two members of a larger party. but NCL's actual rule about restaurant reservations is that they require 24 hours notice to cancel and that you will be charged if you don't show.

"Cancellations of dinner reservations must be made 24 hours prior to the scheduled dining time. If cancellation occurs with less than 24 hours' notice, the full price of the cover per guest will be charged. We strive for excellent service; therefore, we can only hold your dinner reservation for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the unclaimed reservation will be released and the full price of the cover per guest will be charged to you. In the case of pre-paid reservation, no refunds will be issued for cancellations with less than 24 hours' notice."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I am not sure why you would book on embarkation day if your party is out touring. Don’t rush people just to eat dinner. People can grab a bite in the MDR or buffet in the board late and want to wash-up a bit. 

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I am not sure why you would book on embarkation day if your party is out touring.

5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The only date I could book earlier than 9:30 was the day of embarkation.

• Like 1

Don't settle on going on embarkation day if that's not what you want.  You will almost certainly be able to get a reservation on some other day.  Just make the reservation on board asap.  Worst case you go the day you want and wait till they can accommodate you, or you keep an eye on the reservation screens throughout the ship that show availability at that specific time.  

Posted (edited)

I would like to know how they charge something if you are a no show if the place is a la carte. For a place like Teppanyaki I understand, they could just charge the cover. So in other words = for a la carte restaurants they definitely do not charge anything. 

I just yesterday needed to change a restaurant reservation and chatted with an NCL agent about it. As we are 3 I asked her to book for 4. She gave me this big lecture that as soon as we get on the ship I must go to the restaurant and tell that we are only 3. Otherwise we will be charged for a fourth person. That restaurant being Le Bistro. Didn’t start to argue with her but just laughed in my mind of the thought that if someone would try to charge something (they don’t)  I’d point towards the empty chair and tell the waiter ”…and for my friend over here, he will just get some ice water, thank you”. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

There are no penalties for no shows. 
even if the whole party misses the reservation, you will not be charged. 

Good to know!  I assume we’ll be able to make it. My husband and I will have been touring Italy for 9 days and Athens 2.5 prior. We will be ready to sit in air conditioning, relax, and not pay for food and drinks!  lol

9 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Did you book on the app or did you call NCL?  I would give them a call or use the chat to see if you can change to another date and time. Failing that, I would do it once onboard. 

I booked on the app. 

9 hours ago, UKstages said:

in practice, there is no penalty for a no show, particularly on embarkation day and particularly if it's only one or two members of a larger party. but NCL's actual rule about restaurant reservations is that they require 24 hours notice to cancel and that you will be charged if you don't show.

"Cancellations of dinner reservations must be made 24 hours prior to the scheduled dining time. If cancellation occurs with less than 24 hours' notice, the full price of the cover per guest will be charged. We strive for excellent service; therefore, we can only hold your dinner reservation for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the unclaimed reservation will be released and the full price of the cover per guest will be charged to you. In the case of pre-paid reservation, no refunds will be issued for cancellations with less than 24 hours' notice."

I will share this with our friends. 

7 hours ago, gizfish said:

Don't settle on going on embarkation day if that's not what you want.  You will almost certainly be able to get a reservation on some other day.  Just make the reservation on board asap.  Worst case you go the day you want and wait till they can accommodate you, or you keep an eye on the reservation screens throughout the ship that show availability at that specific time.  

I just want to make sure we can get reservations there and we won’t want to embark early at one of the ports to do so. 
Normally I enjoy starting our cruise this way but I’ve never been to Athens. 

7 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I would like to know how they charge something if you are a no show if the place is a la carte. For a place like Teppanyaki I understand, they could just charge the cover. So in other words = for a la carte restaurants they definitely do not charge anything. 

I just yesterday needed to change a restaurant reservation and chatted with an NCL agent about it. As we are 3 I asked her to book for 4. She gave me this big lecture that as soon as we get on the ship I must go to the restaurant and tell that we are only 3. Otherwise we will be charged for a fourth person. That restaurant being Le Bistro. Didn’t start to argue with her but just laughed in my mind of the thought that if someone would try to charge something (they don’t)  I’d point towards the empty chair and tell the waiter ”…and for my friend over here, he will just get some ice water, thank you”. 

Best response!  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I just want to make sure we can get reservations there and we won’t want to embark early at one of the ports to do so. Normally I enjoy starting our cruise this way but I’ve never been to Athens. 

Bottom line. You have another chance at making restaurant reservations on embarkation day. If any of your party is boarding early, they can go to the reservation desk (Teppanyaki restaurant on big ships), and make reservations for the group. There are no reservations if you embark early at any port other than the embarkation port, Athens. I have been on cruises where Cagney's was sold out for all nights all times by 1 pm on embarkation day. 

There is no penalty for no showing to Cagney's. But, as a courtesy to your fellow passengers, especially since you have a big group, cancellation would be greatly appreciated. 

Restaurant reservations open 120 days prior to departure at 12 midnight eastern time. Folks who would like the best time or have larger groups like yours will log on the minute reservations open at midnight to get their tables. (Suites reservations open 130 days prior to departure, Club Suites and top tier Latitudes members can make reservations at 125 days). Most reservations are for 2-tops and 4-tops and there are not that many larger tables in any of the specialty restaurants. 

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Bottom line. You have another chance at making restaurant reservations on embarkation day. If any of your party is boarding early, they can go to the reservation desk (Teppanyaki restaurant on big ships), and make reservations for the group. There are no reservations if you embark early at any port other than the embarkation port, Athens. I have been on cruises where Cagney's was sold out for all nights all times by 1 pm on embarkation day. 

There is no penalty for no showing to Cagney's. But, as a courtesy to your fellow passengers, especially since you have a big group, cancellation would be greatly appreciated. 

Restaurant reservations open 120 days prior to departure at 12 midnight eastern time. Folks who would like the best time or have larger groups like yours will log on the minute reservations open at midnight to get their tables. (Suites reservations open 130 days prior to departure, Club Suites and top tier Latitudes members can make reservations at 125 days). Most reservations are for 2-tops and 4-tops and there are not that many larger tables in any of the specialty restaurants. 

Yeah, I don’t want to risk not getting a reservation there. I’m sure my husband and I will make it on time for the 5:30 reservations. If our friends don’t, I will just let them know it will only be the two of us. If they don’t make it, we wouldn’t be opposed to joining them another night if they can get reservations. We’ve only sailed NCL once before but I recall liking it. With it being al a carte, how much is our free dining voucher worth?  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Yeah, I don’t want to risk not getting a reservation there. I’m sure my husband and I will make it on time for the 5:30 reservations. If our friends don’t, I will just let them know it will only be the two of us. If they don’t make it, we wouldn’t be opposed to joining them another night if they can get reservations. We’ve only sailed NCL once before but I recall liking it. With it being al a carte, how much is our free dining voucher worth?  

It’s (per person) one appetizer, one soup or salad, one main course (with two sides, sometimes they allow more sides) and one dessert. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

With it being al a carte, how much is our free dining voucher worth?  

at cagney's, the cost per person can be as much as $100 or more. but it's a fantasy value, as you would probably not spend real cash at those prices. cagney's is one of the best choices for using you dining vouchers onboard, if you're looking to maximize value.

• Like 1