Unlimited open bar package

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

This isn’t the Onboard Service Charge - for me it’s an additional $500 just for that, and that’s padding their salaries - this is the Beverage Service Charge. Specifically for beverages. And why am I paying for cups and glasses? That’s absurd. 

Might be absurd, but it’s likely the case. Or going to base salaries throughout the ship — heck, cargo handlers need to load the alcohol onto the ship, the service charge can go to their salary!

If the entire service charge was going to front of house beverage servers as a gratuity, the bartenders would be earning about $3,000 to $4,000+ per week.

($22 per day, with a ratio of 20 FAS customers per alcohol server would equate to gratuity of $3,080 per week on top of base salary). 

(In reality, I suspect they just put the “service charge” into general revenue. I doubt the money is actually segregated exclusively for beverage service).  

Edited by havoc315
  • Thanks 1

ukstages, im sorry to disagree with you, but anytime we're in the buffet, just call over one of the people and they will gladly bring you a drink, we do it all the time with no problem. have you ever tried it? they helped on at least the past 10 cruises

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ukstages, im sorry to disagree with you, but anytime we're in the buffet, just call over one of the people and they will gladly bring you a drink, we do it all the time with no problem. have you ever tried it? they helped on at least the past 10 cruises

I've also done this at least half a dozen times. Probably not when it's the busiest of times but I've gotten bloody Mary's at breakfast time and beer 🍺 around lunchtime.

And no matter whether you give them $1 or $10, they remember you the rest of the sailing. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

im sorry to disagree with you, but anytime we're in the buffet, just call over one of the people and they will gladly bring you a drink, we do it all the time with no problem. 

don't be sorry. people are allowed to think different things.

but you're disagreeing with what exactly?

that i have never thought to order a drink form a buffet attendant? i assure you, i have not. that the primary role of a buffet attendant is to clear plates? that the buffet has no service bar? that most people don't order drinks from the buffet attendant?

with what do you disagree?

i think we're in complete agreement. a buffet attendant would likely be delighted to bring a drink and a tip would be appropriate under such a circumstance.

Edited by UKstages
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Might be absurd, but it’s likely the case.

Or going to base salaries throughout the ship

heck, cargo handlers need to load the alcohol onto the ship, the service charge can go to their salary! 

Well, if this IS the case then there is ZERO reason for me to tip on top of tips on top of Onboard Service Charges on top of the Beverage Service Charge.

I’m being billed over $1000+ before I even set foot on the ship to pad - quite literally -everyone’s salary with tips and service charges.

At this point enough is enough. 

4 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Well, if this IS the case then there is ZERO reason for me to tip on top of tips on top of Onboard Service Charges on top of the Beverage Service Charge.

I’m being billed over $1000+ before I even set foot on the ship to pad - quite literally -everyone’s salary with tips and service charges.

At this point enough is enough. 

Or it’s not “padding” their wages at all, and just going towards a minimum wage salary.  We really don’t know. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We've found that a small, maybe $1 per drink, ensures expedited service with a much shorter wait time for drinks.

With all due respect, this is what I alluded to in another thread:

I’m tipping extra per drink and I’m tipping extra per meal at specialty dining venues…

…for tips that have already been paid for through my $545 Beverage Service Charges and the mandatory 18% Specialty Dining added gratuities and service charges

…then more tipping at various other non-MDR dining venues, and adding on top of that the $500 Onboard Service Charges…

…my initial $1045 for tips, gratuities, and OSC balloons several hundred dollars extra just for more tips. When I have already tipped. 

For people that are basically just doing their job. 

Now, if outstanding - and I do mean outstanding - service, and excellent service are observed, and not just people doing their jobs, then maybe that warrants another tip.

But not extra tipping just for doing their job.

Sorry not sorry. 

20 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Or it’s not “padding” their wages at all, and just going towards a minimum wage salary.  We really don’t know. 

That may be the case. And you’re right, we really don’t know.

But it shouldn’t be up to me to pad their salaries when I’m already being charged an onboard service charged, huge beverage service charge, and mandatory 18% added service charge and gratuity for specialty dining. I’m already padding minimum wage salaries by doing all of that. I really can’t see double and triple tipping anyone. 

3 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

With all due respect, this is what I alluded to in another thread:

I’m tipping extra per drink and I’m tipping extra per meal at specialty dining venues…

…for tips that have already been paid for through my $545 Beverage Service Charges and the mandatory 18% Specialty Dining added gratuities and service charges

…then more tipping at various other non-MDR dining venues, and adding on top of that the $500 Onboard Service Charges…

…my initial $1045 for tips, gratuities, and OSC balloons several hundred dollars extra just for more tips. When I have already tipped. 

For people that are basically just doing their job. 

Now, if outstanding - and I do mean outstanding - service, and excellent service are observed, and not just people doing their jobs, then maybe that warrants another tip.

But not extra tipping just for doing their job.

Sorry not sorry. 

In some cases, I would disagree with that argument. The extreme being a regular land based restaurant where tipping is expected to be the majority of a server’s compensation. Your tip is the bulk of the payment for “doing their job.”

But I agree that where it is represented that the staff gratuity has already been taken care of — as with the stewards, waiters and bartenders on NCL, in such a case there is no expectation or moral obligation to tip further. 

That said — real world — an extra tip may help you get that more exceptional service. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

But it shouldn’t be up to me to pad their salaries when I’m already being charged an onboard service charged, huge beverage service charge, and mandatory 18% added service charge and gratuity for specialty dining. I’m already padding minimum wage salaries by doing all of that. I really can’t see double and triple tipping anyone. 

Again, you’re not necessarily padding their salaries. Your fees may be going straight to NCL revenue, and NCL is paying their server $8 per hour. 

We don’t know.  Certainly, NCL suggests their gratuities are already included.  So I’ll accept that I shouldn’t feel obligated to tip further. NCL has accepted the responsibility of making sure that staff is compensated properly at a level that includes “tips.”

I just wouldn’t use the words “padding.”

I guarantee you that no staff member is getting rich on the service charge.  

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

It is really very simple and you are doing your best to complicate things. There is no need or reason to give any crew member any tips. It is very simple. If you want to, have at it, but there is no need, expectation, or benefit in doing so, and in spite of what others claim you don’t get any better service if you add an additional tip or not.

Don’t over think things.

BTW your OSC and gratuities are so high because your cruise is so long. If you want them to be less, take a shorter cruise.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Again, you’re not necessarily padding their salaries. Your fees may be going straight to NCL revenue, and NCL is paying their server $8 per hour. 

We don’t know. Certainly, NCL suggests their gratuities are already included.  So I’ll accept that I shouldn’t feel obligated to tip further. NCL has accepted the responsibility of making sure that staff is compensated properly at a level that includes “tips.”

I just wouldn’t use the words “padding.”

I guarantee you that no staff member is getting rich on the service charge.  

All of this is very well put indeed. And in its entirety I think you hit the nail on the head. 

Thank you. 

😁

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, zqvol said:

BTW your OSC and gratuities are so high because your cruise is so long. If you want them to be less, take a shorter cruise.

Or, NCL could charge less. Or I could removed them all and not pay them. And still cruise. But I won’t remove them, and I won’t be tipping extra. And I will still go on my cruise. 

😎

Edited by dmwnc1959

11 hours ago, complawyer said:

we have the regular free at sea drink package. every time we've ever sat down in  a restaurant, cagney's, moderno, le bistro, o'sheehans's and even the MDR's ,1st thing we are asked is would we like a drink. simple as that. if we're in the buffet, just call over one of the helpers and let him know you would like a drink (jncludes soft drinks, wine or hard liquor) never a problem either, and when he/she brings it, a buck or 2 wouldnt/couldnt hurt.

at any of the outside bars, never more than a few minutes to get bartenders attention. a couple of bucks to him doesnt hurt either. Please dont bother to respond "well we're paying the dsc, or i've already been billed for the gratuities under the drink package) you are seeing these people face to face, and they are performing a personal service, especially the guys at the sugarcane.

so a few extra bucks cant possible hurt you.  if you're adamant about tipping extra to these people, i feel sorry for you

Doesn't take much to send a thread off the rails into tipping purgatory.  

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UKstages said:

don't be sorry. people are allowed to think different things.

but you're disagreeing with what exactly?

that i have never thought to order a drink form a buffet attendant? i assure you, i have not. that the primary role of a buffet attendant is to clear plates? that the buffet has no service bar? that most people don't order drinks from the buffet attendant?

with what do you disagree?

i think we're in complete agreement. a buffet attendant would likely be delighted to bring a drink and a tip would be appropriate under such a circumstance.

Every cruise line I have ever been had roving bartenders in the buffet..yes, the attendant will assist in finding one if they have found you first.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

8 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Or, NCL could charge less. Or I could removed them all and not pay them. And still cruise. But I won’t remove them, and I won’t be tipping extra. And I will still go on my cruise. 

😎

Can’t remove the gratuities on the beverage and dining packages 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Every cruise line I have ever been had roving bartenders in the buffet

i'll bite.

what's a roving bartender?

i'm not sure i've ever seen one, although i'm not sure i would know one if one was standing (or roving) in front of me.

is this a bartender who "roves" from table to table, much like a mariachi band, inquiring if anybody is thirsty?

Edited by UKstages

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Can’t remove the gratuities on the beverage and dining packages 

No, but I can remove the beverage package. 

I am by no stretch of the imagination a ‘drinker’. In my everyday life I might have 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks a month. And I rarely ever drink soda. On this long of a repositioning cruise I thought maybe having a beer with lunch or an after dinner cocktail might be fun. Check out this bar here, try something new there, get a little tipsy. Yay! I have an entire screenshots album list of drinks that I’ve heard of and never tried.

The $545 Beverage Service Charge is more than enough tip for the business the bars are getting from me. I don’t hang around the bars for hours drinking and socializing. It’ll be one and done and gone. 

I’ve already called NCL and verified the Unlimited Open Bar Package can be removed. I’m looking at the Flow Water (24) 1-Liter bottles package and that’s more than enough when combined with the complementary beverages available in restaurants, even if it is a simple glass of water or iced tea. 

And I can remove the 2-night complimentary dining package and not get an additional 7-10 nights. That’s $325-400 dollars no one would be getting. Specialty dining for me isn’t a ‘must have’ or ‘must experience’. I’m more than fine with all of the expansive complementary dining options, the main dining room (for now), and the buffet.  

😎

Edited by dmwnc1959

No, but I can remove the beverage package. 

I am by no stretch of the imagination a ‘drinker’. In my everyday life I might have 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks a month. And I rarely ever drink soda. On this long of a repositioning cruise I thought maybe having a beer with lunch or an after dinner cocktail night be fun. Check out this bar here, try something new there, get a little tipsy. Yay! I have an entire screenshots album list of drinks that I’ve heard of and never tried.

The $545 Beverage Service Charge is more than enough tip for the business the bars are getting from me. I don’t hang around the bars for hours drinking and socializing. It’ll be one and done and gone. 

I’ve already called NCL and verified the Unlimited Open Bar Package can be removed. I’m looking at the Flow Water (24) 1-Liter bottles package and that’s more than enough when combined with the complementary beverages available in restaurants, even if it is a simple glass of water or iced tea. 

Based on this post you should definitely cancel the beverage package.

Pay as you go. You'll never spend $545 if you adhere to your ordinary drinking habits.

Also, I wouldn't pay for the Flow Water either. The tap water is better and can be had in quite a few spots.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Based on this post you should definitely cancel the beverage package.

Pay as you go. You'll never spend $545 if you adhere to your ordinary drinking habits.

Also, I wouldn't pay for the Flow Water either. The tap water is better and can be had in quite a few spots.

The water is more of a convenience due to its portability, and I’d be bringing along several boxes of individual drink packets. Have an addiction to these, my favorite ‘drink package’…

IMG_8296.jpeg

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

The water is more of a convenience due to its portability, and I’d be bringing along several boxes of individual drink packets. Have an addiction to these, my favorite ‘drink package’…

IMG_8296.jpeg

😁

My wife brings some kind of drink mix with her too, but we bring yeti or yeti like cups with us.

We have a bucket of ice brought to our cabin every day and load up our cups with ice and water before leaving the cabin. Makes it easy for my wife to throw in her mix whenever and I usually start using my cup to keep my beer cold up on deck later in the day.

We used to buy the water too until we realized how good and pure the tap water is.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

My wife brings some kind of drink mix with her too, but we bring yeti or yeti like cups with us.

We have a bucket of ice brought to our cabin every day and load up our cups with ice and water before leaving the cabin. Makes it easy for my wife to throw in her mix whenever and I usually start using my cup to keep my beer cold up on deck later in the day.

We used to buy the water too until we realized how good and pure the tap water is.

I’ll have to look into those Yeti things. Might be a solution to my drink package. 😉👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i'll bite.

what's a roving bartender?

i'm not sure i've ever seen one, although i'm not sure i would know one if one was standing (or roving) in front of me.

is this a bartender who "roves" from table to table, much like a mariachi band, inquiring if anybody is thirsty?

Nailed it..they push a little bar around, pretty cool, keep an eye out for them. 🙂

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

It is really very simple and you are doing your best to complicate things. There is no need or reason to give any crew member any tips. It is very simple. If you want to, have at it, but there is no need, expectation, or benefit in doing so, and in spite of what others claim you don’t get any better service if you add an additional tip or not.

Don’t over think things.

Thank you! ✌🏻