Temperature on ship on a hot-weather cruise

Steerpike58

We're going to be cruising from Bangkok to Hong Kong via Cambodia and Vietnam later this month.  It's going to be in the 90s and humid for much of the time.  While 90s and humid obviously calls for A/C, I hate it when the A/C is set really cold (60s) and prefer it when it's mid-70s (I've lived in Scottsdale AZ, and visited Florida, in summer and been frozen to death by over-zealous A/C!).  

Does anyone have any comments about how the ship common areas are on these cruises - restaurants, world-cafe, etc? Do they go crazy and make it ice-cold?  

I know plenty of people who really love it icy-cold, so I know they can't please everyone. I'll be sure to pack some warmer wear ... 

We have found Viking Ocean ships well regulated in temperature.  I am always hot, but also know when it is over air conditioned.  Viking Ocean seem to do well in our opinion.

Viking River is a different story.  We find the dining room and lounge on River Ships to be far to warm.  The last three River Cruises we have been on, I have left the lounge in the evening early because it is just too hot.

We were on New Zealand and Australia in very hot weather and I wore a sweatshirt in the living room and World Cafe. I am always cold. My husband found the temps to be quite acceptable. On all our other cruises I've gone prepared with warm clothes but not had to wear them as the temps were not overly cool, in my opinion. 

Thought problem:  Which is easier to deal with....guests who are too cold and need additional clothing or a blanket, OR, guests who are too warm and are shedding clothing to get cooler?

No real solution for the latter, while the former can be dealt with.

• Like 4

Currently on a cruise and the pool area is hot and humid, the explorers lounge is a touch chilly, but the rest of the ship is very comfortable. Today it’s 30°C (86°F) and very humid outside

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On Viking Sun, the crew often handed out blankets, to those that wanted them, when entering Star Theatre. It was on the cooler side.

Did the same on our Panama Canal cruise. Otherwise, the ship’s  temperatures were fine, IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:32 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Thought problem:  Which is easier to deal with....guests who are too cold and need additional clothing or a blanket, OR, guests who are too warm and are shedding clothing to get cooler?

No real solution for the latter, while the former can be dealt with.

My observation, having spent 12 years in Scottsdale Arizona, was that the thermostat is often set by one of the workers, who are hot because they are running round; most patrons, who are sitting motionless, are freezing to death. Yes, you can combat cold by adding clothing but that's not always convenient. I used to carry a jacket in my car in Arizona in summer just so I could go get it if the dining room was too cold - which it invariably was!  I guess I can always go back to the room and get more clothing.  Sounds like long trousers and long-sleeved shirts are going to be required for the evening dining experience. 

I hope you are wearing long trousers for your evening dining.  And long sleeves are perfectly appropriate.

Would you prefer guests compensating for too hot to be wearing skimpy shorts and tank tops in Manfredi's?

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:22 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I hope you are wearing long trousers for your evening dining.  And long sleeves are perfectly appropriate.

Would you prefer guests compensating for too hot to be wearing skimpy shorts and tank tops in Manfredi's?

I would prefer that the temperature is such that a nice smart short-sleeved shirt would be appropriate, not having to wear long-sleeved shirt (or jacket) while in a tropical country. But I will take extra clothing in anticipation. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I would prefer that the temperature is such that a nice smart short-sleeved shirt would be appropriate, not having to wear long-sleeved shirt (or jacket) while in a tropical country.

Of course a middle-ground temp is preferred.  But if it is going to vary one way or the other, it will almost always go to the colder.

Our experience in the Caribbean on Viking (albeit perhaps not quite as hot or humid, but still up there):    Viking tended to over A/C the various common rooms, especially the Star Theatre.  It was sort of bizarre to come in from warm weather and bring sweaters and use the blankets provided 🙂    We even had to bring sweaters to the WC and restaurants (unless of course we ate out on the fantail!)

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the trip. Overall, I'd say Viking were pretty reasonable with their AC on the ship.  The cabin was almost always slightly over-cooled, but I brought some warm clothing specifically for that purpose (plus, the bedding was winter-grade, so needed to keep the room cool!). The restaurants were all pretty comfortable. Some of the coaches for the excursions were a bit cold, but I was generally able to turn off the 'vents' affecting my seating area. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Just returned from the trip. Overall, I'd say Viking were pretty reasonable with their AC on the ship.  The cabin was almost always slightly over-cooled, but I brought some warm clothing specifically for that purpose (plus, the bedding was winter-grade, so needed to keep the room cool!). The restaurants were all pretty comfortable. Some of the coaches for the excursions were a bit cold, but I was generally able to turn off the 'vents' affecting my seating area. 

Glad that it worked out for you overall.

Regarding the coaches, I personally would never complain that it was too cold because we have been on our share of coaches that are so hot that you can hardly take it and that has been in a number of locations.

• Like 2