Radiance

1 hour ago, deepcman said:

It's in drydock now in Bahamas and will resume cruises on March 28th. Don't expect any major upgrades. They just want to keep it floating. 

Agree, almost never overhaul a Ship. Replace Carpet, Chairs ect, Paint Ship, stain all Balcony Railings, this is done year round. Getting Ready for Serenade's World Cruise was done over period 3 months while she was in service and passengers onboard. They replaced all the room Cooler(fridge), ran all new wiring for upgraded Internet, added more plugs and USB Ports in Cabins, ect. Radiance now should be a usual Marine Side Maintenance Dry Dock and not much more... I'll be on her myself doing B3B Mar28-April23

I'm also expecting minimal work in guest areas.  Replace some broken windows and floor tiles maybe, but no meaningful updates.  

At this point on this class Royal appears to be doing the required maritime maintenance so they can maintain their certificate to sail and be legal to carry passengers but not much beyond that.

11 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, almost never overhaul a Ship. Replace Carpet, Chairs ect, Paint Ship, stain all Balcony Railings, this is done year round. Getting Ready for Serenade's World Cruise was done over period 3 months while she was in service and passengers onboard. They replaced all the room Cooler(fridge), ran all new wiring for upgraded Internet, added more plugs and USB Ports in Cabins, ect. Radiance now should be a usual Marine Side Maintenance Dry Dock and not much more... I'll be on her myself doing B3B Mar28-April23

We look forward to an update from ya once onboard! Could we ask the cruise gods for new mattresses as well? A girl can wish. I love the Radiance Class so much. Have a great B3B.

• Like 2

I was on Radiance last week prior to the drydock and picked up a few tidbits...

At the Captain's Corner Q&A, Captain Jeffry Thomaes mentioned that they were doing a full azipod replacement with this drydock.  He said it was unusual because normally they refit/rebuild an azipod in place.  No reason was given but I would guess it is related to the propulsion issue from last September.  He also mentioned that they would need to cut a hole in the side of the ship.  It was not clear if this was related to the azipod replacement or something else.

On the Hotel side, Director Robert Taggart (great guy BTW) mentioned there would be lots of fit and finish work including carpeting, especially in public areas, a full re-do of the floor in the pub, and replacement of 750 toilets (ha).

No specific venue changes were mentioned at the Q&A (that I can recall) but my waiter at Giovanni's stated that Izumi would be moved from its current location in the Windjammer up to Deck 12 replacing Samba Grill (as it is in Serenade).  I didn't eat at Samba so I could not confirm with the folks up there.  This could be the beginning of the end of Samba Grill since the rumor is it will be removed from Allure too at its upcoming drydock.

I asked my waiter in the MDR what he was doing during the drydock and he said he would be remaining on board.  He is a supervisor in the Windjammer and during the drydock, they use it at as the crew mess.  He said they are expecting 2000 contractors for this.  That sounds like a lot, but I have no context to say if that's more than usual for a routine drydock.

That's all I was able to pick up from random discussion and conversation so take it for what it's worth.  Radiance is a great ship, and I had a wonderful time, but it is definitely showing some wear and tear.  I'll be interested to hear how cleaned up it is after this drydock.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RogerDodger247 said:

No specific venue changes were mentioned at the Q&A (that I can recall) but my waiter at Giovanni's stated that Izumi would be moved from its current location in the Windjammer up to Deck 12 replacing Samba Grill (as it is in Serenade).  I didn't eat at Samba so I could not confirm with the folks up there.  This could be the beginning of the end of Samba Grill since the rumor is it will be removed from Allure too at its upcoming drydock.

I'll be boarding for the PC in 3.5 weeks.

This is the first I've seen rumor of Samba Grill possibly being removed from Allure during it's "Amplification". It's been pretty much established that Sabor will be going away, likely replaced with Portside BBQ.

Edit:

I just looked at the cruise planner for our PC cruise, and I can still book Samaba. So I guess it's either sticking around (not necessarily in the same location) or they'll be refunding people that pre-booked it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by RobInMN

Just spent 20 days on the Radiance and I thought she was in good shape, food and service were great. Best Chops meal I’ve had on any ship. We did eat at Samba, but heard they won’t be around much longer. The WJ manager did say they were tearing up and replacing the tile floor in the WJ. There was some grout missing and some of the tiles are uneven. A gentleman tripped on one and fell one morning. Not sure how many contractors there will be, but there were quite a few on turnaround days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

I'll be boarding for the PC in 3.5 weeks.

This is the first I've seen rumor of Samba Grill possibly being removed from Allure during it's "Amplification". It's been pretty much established that Sabor will be going away, likely replaced with Portside BBQ.

Edit:

I just looked at the cruise planner for our PC cruise, and I can still book Samaba. So I guess it's either sticking around (not necessarily in the same location) or they'll be refunding people that pre-booked it. 🤷‍♂️

I can still book Samba Grill for my May cruises, as well.

Me... just hoping for a Craps table....I seem to recall there is one on board finally now, but it was missing for a long time after Asia itineraries.

Will enjoy the ship this July.  Curious to hear some insight from April pax.  Safe travels.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RobInMN said:

just looked at the cruise planner for our PC cruise, and I can still book Samaba. So I guess it's either sticking around (not necessarily in the same location) or they'll be refunding people that pre-booked it.

Yeah, I agree and it seems like this would have come up during the Captain's Corner discussion.  But my Giovanni's waiter seemed very definitive about it.  I guess we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

Radiance has quickly become my favorite class of ships so I'll be anxious to hear about how things are looking after this drydock.

Edited by RogerDodger247
Wrong quote about Allure.

6 hours ago, hmorrow said:

was hoping for glass shower doors.....

Haha... me too!  But it wasn't mentioned.  This was my first experience with the shower curtains but somehow, I managed to keep the bathroom floor relatively dry 👍

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to finishing up in dry dock! Hopefully some reports/pictures emerge. Looking forward to going through the Panama Canal on a refreshed ship on the April 8th cruise.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, candmfox said:

Getting close to finishing up in dry dock! Hopefully some reports/pictures emerge. Looking forward to going through the Panama Canal on a refreshed ship on the April 8th cruise.

Report back to us please!

• Like 2

per cruise mapper, our old girl is back in the water! March 28th cruisers, we look forward to a report. Panama Canal goers, I am assuming you guys have not heard of any delays with the low water levels?

I’m definitely interested in the Izumi location. I just booked a cruise on Radiance for November and selected my room to be below Izumi (deck 10 portside aft) vs. under Windjammer. If they move Izumi to deck 12 where Samba is, really curious what gets put in its place!