European River Cruises

KMBCruzer

Hi @KMBCruzer.  I see that this is your 2nd post.  Welcome to Cruise Critic.  

This forum is for river cruising on small ships.  Royal Caribbean only has ocean cruising.  Viking has ocean and river cruising.  

Have you looked at the reviews here on Cruise Critic for Royal Caribbean and Viking?  They're a world apart.

• Like 1

@KMBCruzer Compare apples to apples. River Cruising companies include Viking, Gate 1, AMA, Scenic, Avalon, Tauck, Uniworld, Emerald, and several others. Royal Caribbean only does ocean cruises. There's a river cruise to fit every budget. Pick a river and itinerary then start comparing companies and their prices.

1 hour ago, susanlovesbob said:

Can anyone give me a comparison between the river cruise companies?   We are looking at Viking, Avalon and Emerald - we think.   Ery confusing

Look at the Stickies at the top of this forum, especially this one:

Do exactly what Jazz says, above then sit back and construct a pros and cons list of what you’d rather like to do and what you’d rather not. Then with a glass of your favourite tipple be it water or something with a little more flavour go and do what Jazz suggested again. You’ll get to know what everyone is talking about and be more relaxed in your decision making because when alls said and done your paying out a significant amount of dosh and regardless it’s your holiday. Above all enjoy the process and look on it as part of your holiday.

11 hours ago, susanlovesbob said:

Can anyone give me a comparison between the river cruise companies?   We are looking at Viking, Avalon and Emerald - we think.   Ery confusing

What's your most important criteria? Why have you selected these three, there are many more sailing Europe's waterways?

Cost depends on cabin chosen, Cruise line chosen, Time of year, and current discounts.

I suggest you

1) Decide which river you want to cruise on and how many days cruising you want

2) Decide what sort of cabin you want

3) Decide how much you want to spend

Then use a spreadsheet or sheet of paper to work out what cruise line offers what you want.

OR

Just pick any one, you are sure to enjoy the holiday and next time go on with the same company if you're happy or - now you know what you're wanting - another line

OR

If you are in the USA go to a travel agent and get them to advise.

Don't expect that we will be able to advise as we all have favourites and I don't think anyone has been on all the cruise lines.

On 3/17/2024 at 9:28 PM, susanlovesbob said:

I know that it looks like we are sending you off to do research instead of directly answering your questions and trying to help.

The challenge is that Viking loyals will tell you how wonderful Viking is, and Avalon will promote Avalon, and same with Emerald.

Go to each Cruise line and look for reviews and you will see the pros and cons.

More so, look at individual itineraries.  Each cruise line varies slightly in the ports and the length of the cruise.  

If this is your first River Cruise, then you probably cannot go wrong with any of these that you are looking into.  All are reputable and good at what they do.

I am Viking loyal, so I would urge you to go to Viking!   I have not cruised with the others because my first River Cruise was with Viking and I loved the experience.  I am hesitant to try another line because I may be disappointed.  I am however like that...  If I go to a new restaurant and like the dish I had, I will have that dish again and again when returning to that restaurant.  I am afraid to try something new in case it disappoints.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I’m never afraid to try something new but if your happy with it I completely agree.

Next year's New Year's Resolution will be to try something new, like a new cruise line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We have travelled with most of the main companies, and I do believe that there are more similarities than differences.  You have no control over the cruise manager (and he/she can have a huge impact on the cruise) or on the kitchen staff.   I would suggest you decide where you want to travel, then what time of year.  Take a look at all of the different companies, and take a look at what your options are.  

Are specific dates important? Do you have any flexibility?  Is cost important?  Or, it is secondary to dates & itinerary? Is there something that you *really* want to see - that is not available on one of your short-listed cruises?

If you can narrow it down to a couple of different cruises - and want opinions on those cruises - come back and ask specific questions.

Hope that helps.

Fran

• Like 3

Aside from the differences like what is included or not (alcohol, excursions, chef's table, etc.) a few things I did not know to look for until I'd done our first river cruise were:

- Dining options (is it a set menu or do you have choices?, if set, can you at least get a chicken breast, etc?, and is there an option of lighter meal that doesn't require the lengthy time the table service meals require?)  Some lines set up a small plates version in the lounge of what's being served in the main dining room.   You can grab what you want quickly and without fuss.

-Where are you in the evenings?  Some ships pull away from the dock before dinner and don't put back in again until after breakfast.  That leaves you with limited options at night, and for me, limited time to explore a new city.  I don't mind missing a provided meal if that means I can go out in town and try something there, or at least get an after dinner drink in a fun new location.

-Assuming good water levels and no extra busing required, how long is the bus ride to the provided excursions, and/or is the ship generally docked within walking distance of the town.

As docking positions and times are much more fluid than ocean cruising, it is very difficult to pre-arrange scheduled DIY tours in cities.  The flip side, though, is that if you are docked in the middle of town, it can be very easy to just go out on your own to explore.

13 hours ago, ljandgb said:

Aside from the differences like what is included or not (alcohol, excursions, chef's table, etc.) a few things I did not know to look for until I'd done our first river cruise were:

- Dining options (is it a set menu or do you have choices?, if set, can you at least get a chicken breast, etc?, and is there an option of lighter meal that doesn't require the lengthy time the table service meals require?)  Some lines set up a small plates version in the lounge of what's being served in the main dining room.   You can grab what you want quickly and without fuss.

-Where are you in the evenings?  Some ships pull away from the dock before dinner and don't put back in again until after breakfast.  That leaves you with limited options at night, and for me, limited time to explore a new city.  I don't mind missing a provided meal if that means I can go out in town and try something there, or at least get an after dinner drink in a fun new location.

-Assuming good water levels and no extra busing required, how long is the bus ride to the provided excursions, and/or is the ship generally docked within walking distance of the town.

As docking positions and times are much more fluid than ocean cruising, it is very difficult to pre-arrange scheduled DIY tours in cities.  The flip side, though, is that if you are docked in the middle of town, it can be very easy to just go out on your own to explore.

I will answer about Viking River Cruises.

You mention Chef's Table - that is not available on a Viking River Cruise, there is only one dining venue.  (Well, there is the Aquavit as well, but same menu as the dining room.)

Each day there is a new menu on Viking River that has a "locally inspired menu" including a starter, a main, and a dessert, and then the menu for that day which is also unique.

There is always the left side of the menu that has the "always available" steak and chicken, and this does not change.

Regarding smaller menu - grab and go - no, Viking does not have that.  Whether you are eating in the dining room or the Aquavit terrace, you are sitting down and going through the full table service.  You don't have to get three courses, but you are still going through full service. 

Each river cruise is different as to whether the ship sails at 4pm or 6pm or 11pm and some rivers don't sail overnight at all which means you are in port overnight.

On Viking River at night and after dinner, there is only the lounge and whatever entertainment they have which could be just a piano player or the crew put something together.  Sometimes they bring entertainment on if they are not sailing until late.

How long is the bus ride to the excursion?  Depends.  We have done 20 minute bus rides and we have done 2 hour bus rides each way.  Depends on where you are going.  Some excursions are 3 hours total, and some are 8 hours plus.

You are right about DIY tours.  You cannot predict in advance water levels and if you will be 100% docking in the prescribed location.  You should only engage with tour operators that are familiar with river cruising and willing to meet you at an alternative location.  This is also where Uber comes in.

Thank you CDNPolar I’m pretty sure with just a few quirks you’ve summed up all river cruise companies. 
So the huge question is what makes each of them sooooooo different? In various peoples eyes?

Is it our individual expectations, or what? Let’s throw out the question what do you think?

Well, are they each so different?

And to really know one would have experienced them, and few/none  of us have been on them all.

Most cruisers stick with the line they know, and don't risk going on another in case they don't enjoy it as much.

This very fact, that people rebook cruises on the same line, implies that that cruise line offers a good all round service. 

I have been mostly on Viking but I have cruised on Scenic and have compared them on my trip report. I think Viking have the edge, but that hasn't stopped me booking another cruise with Scenic this year. I think, from reading this forum, that they are all much of a muchness, and they differ only in minor ways.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:47 AM, Canal archive said:

Thank you CDNPolar I’m pretty sure with just a few quirks you’ve summed up all river cruise companies. 
So the huge question is what makes each of them sooooooo different? In various peoples eyes?

Is it our individual expectations, or what? Let’s throw out the question what do you think?

Good question, but as @pontac suggests, we started with Viking, really enjoyed the experience, and have stuck with them.  

We have so far, only experienced Uniworld, and that was for The Nile.  Long story as to why, but in the end, it was not a good Uniworld experience because the ship was old, a bit dirty, smelly, and very dark.   We had heard so many wonderful things about Uniworld, but also now recognize that ships on the Nile are not a good reflection of the cruise line in other regions.

We personally don't think that there are a lot of differences, and we are starting to think that we may look in the future at other cruise lines, and this will be to try the cheaper ones.

Yes, we love the ship experience but on a River Cruise it is about the countries, cities, and the excursions.  We don't believe that any cruise line really offers many excursions that are unique to them - but we may be wrong.

46 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

but on a River Cruise it is about the countries, cities, and the excursions. 

Mrs P and I were talking about this at dinner. We now feel the river cruise experience is - for us -what it's all about. We don't really care which country  or expeditions.*

What I've learned from this board is that us cruisers have different wants about what is offered on board and off board.

Old buildings and cathedrals? We live in an old city with a mediaeval centre, roman and pre-roman ruins and an ancient cathedral that tourists come to.

But we don't live in a house where someone else buys, prepares and cooks the food and cleans up afterwards. Or someone who makes the bed, cleans and supplies fresh towels twice a day. And there's not a ever changing view out our windows at home either 😁

*Although Mrs P would like to go on the Douro again (without starting in Lisbon) and I'd like to do the Venice lagoon cruise which we haven't done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pontac said:

Mrs P and I were talking about this at dinner. We now feel the river cruise experience is - for us -what it's all about. We don't really care which country  or expeditions.*

What I've learned from this board is that us cruisers have different wants about what is offered on board and off board.

Old buildings and cathedrals? We live in an old city with a mediaeval centre, roman and pre-roman ruins and an ancient cathedral that tourists come to.

But we don't live in a house where someone else buys, prepares and cooks the food and cleans up afterwards. Or someone who makes the bed, cleans and supplies fresh towels twice a day. And there's not a ever changing view out our windows at home either 😁

*Although Mrs P would like to go on the Douro again (without starting in Lisbon) and I'd like to do the Venice lagoon cruise which we haven't done.

Totally get it...  As much as we love the countries, cities, and towns, (and the churches and ruins to some extent) we also love on both River and Ocean unpacking once and after that unpacking having the room cleaned and the meals made....  I get you though.

• Like 1

We started on Viking and enjoyed it. However, our next river cruise was an Avalon one as we preferred the itinerary. The ship decor was not to our taste and the entertainment was best avoided. We've been loyal to Viking ever since.

I completely agree with @pontac. We've done all the itineraries we fancy and really just like the river cruise experience itself. Not interested in rushing about ticking off 'must see' sights. We enjoy wandering ashore, having a coffee and absorbing the local atmosphere. Lovely relaxing days and nice people to chat to over meals. Roll on September!

• Like 1

We are big fans of Gate 1, but are not too loyal when it comes to cruises, river or ocean.  We usually pick based upon where we want to go, when we want to go, price, and decent reviews.  We have been on the Yangtze with Gate 1, the Nile with Grand Circle, the Rhine with Avalon and the Danube with Gate 1.  All were excellent, and for the actual cruise part, kind of similar.  A nice room that gets cleaned all the time, decent food with a decent variety, in Europe some sort of drink at dinner, a little bit of entertainment after dinner, etc...  On the other hand, we have friends where the wife has celiac disease, and is always very concerned about gluten,  They have found that Uniworld is very careful about that, and prefer to stick with that line so they do not have to ever worry (even if other lines would also be careful, they like the peace of mind).  So our system works for us, theirs for them.  Most of us are not all that young, so if you have the health, money, inclination and time, the most important thing is to just go.

• Like 3

We enjoy Grand Circle. Their cruises are typically longer duration (~2weeks) and the price point is comfortable for us.
They break the cruisers into several groups, each with Program Director, that you stay with for the entire cruise. The included tours utilize local guides and the PD stays with the group. Frequently the PDs offer additional tours/activities during the afternoon or, if a late departure, after dinner. 
GCT provides future cruise credits (~5% of trip cost) after 2 or 3 trips. It increases to ~7% after more tours (8-10?). All trips with GCT/OAT count, not just river cruises. They also offer a discount on multiple trips in one year. 
As we enjoyed our first trip an as GCT/OAT also offer land tours and small ship cruises, we kept coming back. 

Ive only been on one Europe river cruise

We knew the itinerary we wanted - Amsterdam to Budapest. This is the most popular Europe river cruise for Australians.

We went with Scenic.

My reasons for picking them - from Australia the 2 all inclusive lines were Scenic and APY (I think this is AMA elsewhere)

They also include air fares

They are totally all inclusive

They had no 'stay on boat all day ' days.

The itinerary was not much different from other lines - only a few minor differences, unlikely to be anyone's deal breakers. Cost between APT and Scenic very similar - the deal breaker in the end was just timing ie the dates just bit better for us.

42 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

We enjoy Grand Circle. Their cruises are typically longer duration (~2weeks) and the price point is comfortable for us.
They break the cruisers into several groups, each with Program Director, that you stay with for the entire cruise. The included tours utilize local guides and the PD stays with the group. Frequently the PDs offer additional tours/activities during the afternoon or, if a late departure, after dinner. 
GCT provides future cruise credits (~5% of trip cost) after 2 or 3 trips. It increases to ~7% after more tours (8-10?). All trips with GCT/OAT count, not just river cruises. They also offer a discount on multiple trips in one year. 
As we enjoyed our first trip an as GCT/OAT also offer land tours and small ship cruises, we kept coming back. 

My parents love GC. We did a Christmas Markets cruise with them on GC. My wife & I can't stand the cabins. The twin single fold down bunks are a no-go for us. Also, can't say we are big fans of the PD format (there were 4 on this one). Basically there was a maximum of 4 good-sized tour groups, and the PDs did a number of the tours themselves. Very little local tour guide experts. This could have been because this was a Christmas Market cruise. I will say, everyone was very nice. We might consider them for a non-European river cruise, or OAT.

We are fans of AmaWaterways. We've done 3 (1 plus the B2B Grand Danube), and have another booked for Spring '25. Ama has 1 Cruise Manager that coordinates all the local tour guides. Unless it's a simple wine tasting or something that the whole ship is doing as a group, every tour is done with a local tour guide. There are multiple excursion options at each port, and they keep the group sizes small by having multiple guides on the more popular options.

Well, @CDNPolar I'm tearing out what little hair I've got.

Mrs P said over dinner last night that as we had three months, May, June & July this year between cruises she'd like to book the Douro cruise.

Oh, and she'd like to go on Saga as they have free chauffeur to/from the airport. So I did what I advise other and looked at the offerings and compared the different companies. With some its impossible to find from their site which airline they use.

She won't go in a water-level room, and at this short notice that's all that's left on many, though you have to drill through pages to find that.

She'll only go Porto>Porto not via Lisbon

She won't fly the Portuguese airline TAP which most use to Porto - (they bumped us last time saying it was because we had a cheap package tour ticket.)

She won't have a flight that has connections, it's got to be non-stop.

Eureka! I found a Saga (line she wanted), going Porto>Porto with  a French Balcony or suite at good prices, flying non-stop with BA. Result!

She won't take it because the only non-stop flight BA do that day leaves at 06.30 which is too early, and she won't go the day before and stay in a hotel.

I've spent hours on this.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pontac said:

Well, @CDNPolar I'm tearing out what little hair I've got.

Mrs P said over dinner last night that as we had three months, May, June & July this year between cruises she'd like to book the Douro cruise.

Oh, and she'd like to go on Saga as they have free chauffeur to/from the airport. So I did what I advise other and looked at the offerings and compared the different companies. With some its impossible to find from their site which airline they use.

She won't go in a water-level room, and at this short notice that's all that's left on many, though you have to drill through pages to find that.

She'll only go Porto>Porto not via Lisbon

She won't fly the Portuguese airline TAP which most use to Porto - (they bumped us last time saying it was because we had a cheap package tour ticket.)

She won't have a flight that has connections, it's got to be non-stop.

Eureka! I found a Saga (line she wanted), going Porto>Porto with  a French Balcony or suite at good prices, flying non-stop with BA. Result!

She won't take it because the only non-stop flight BA do that day leaves at 06.30 which is too early, and she won't go the day before and stay in a hotel.

I've spent hours on this.....

Oh my...  what a conundrum or a kerfuffle...

It is hard sometimes to get everything lined up to be optimum.

We have stopped trying for perfection in travel. 

We want and expect the perfection once we get to the ship, but getting there is work not pleasure and the airlines, and luggage, and transportation issues are all crap that just has to work however it is going to work to get to the ship.

Good luck!