Crown Grill & Sabatini’s Future Price Increases

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

As I recall from past posts & from my previous experiences this glitch happens to some of us…any other suggestions?

All I know is that when I did what you describe, I got the same message as you, but if I scroll down to the bottom of that log-in screen, then I get a second log-in option. Which worked for me.

Come to think of it, the way I learned of that I had the same problem and called the Ocean Navigators. So, my only other suggestion is to call them. Ultimately, we both pay for their services. Good Luck!

28 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

All I know is that when I did what you describe, I got the same message as you, but if I scroll down to the bottom of that log-in screen, then I get a second log-in option. Which worked for me.

Come to think of it, the way I learned of that I had the same problem and called the Ocean Navigators. So, my only other suggestion is to call them. Ultimately, we both pay for their services. Good Luck!

Thanks for your assistance but unfortunately there is nowhere else to go after the rejection. Oh well, for now the Princess app is mostly working so will not take the time to contact the Navigators for further assistance…appreciate your effort to solve my issue. 🙂

On 3/18/2024 at 12:50 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully as others have written this is just another glitch in the new Princess app whereby some are seeing those higher prices in USD which appear to actually be the AUD prices?

As ‘ellipooh’ coined a few posts ago…such glitches are “JAPG”. 😉

Hope you're right!

• Like 1

I have no idea whether or not the prices will increase soon, but I do know that when I booked my specialty dining on Enchanted sailing in mid-June, I paid $39pp. I booked both CG and Sabatini’s. I was surprised by the prices because they were less than I had anticipated, and definitely less than I paid for specialty dining on Norwegian in February, which in my opinion, isn’t something I’d do again. Hoping for better (across the board) on Princess. 

As for the potential for prices increasing, *whispers* I’m shocked they haven’t as of yet. I can remember back when Norwegian was the first line to really push extra dining costs and so forth, and they seem to set the trend (for pricing, at least). What I see as someone who has been an occasional cruiser since the mid-90’s is that the ships are becoming more and more like just hotels on the ocean - nothing is included in the base price you pay except your room. People seem to like that, although I would not count myself in that category. I like the no-hassle way of just paying a bit more and having everything included. Alas, times have changed, and I’m adjusting. 🙂 

11 minutes ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

I have no idea whether or not the prices will increase soon, but I do know that when I booked my specialty dining on Enchanted sailing in mid-June, I paid $39pp. I booked both CG and Sabatini’s. I was surprised by the prices because they were less than I had anticipated, and definitely less than I paid for specialty dining on Norwegian in February, which in my opinion, isn’t something I’d do again. Hoping for better (across the board) on Princess. 

As for the potential for prices increasing, *whispers* I’m shocked they haven’t as of yet. I can remember back when Norwegian was the first line to really push extra dining costs and so forth, and they seem to set the trend (for pricing, at least). What I see as someone who has been an occasional cruiser since the mid-90’s is that the ships are becoming more and more like just hotels on the ocean - nothing is included in the base price you pay except your room. People seem to like that, although I would not count myself in that category. I like the no-hassle way of just paying a bit more and having everything included. Alas, times have changed, and I’m adjusting. 🙂 

I beg to differ. I have been cruising Princess for 34 years. Specialty dining has never been included, before drink packages came into being you HAD to pay for drinks one at a time etc.  MDR, buffet, lido desk burgers etc have always been included. The only difference really are packages which allow those people who use some services to actually save money

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I beg to differ. I have been cruising Princess for 34 years. Specialty dining has never been included, before drink packages came into being you HAD to pay for drinks one at a time etc.  MDR, buffet, lido desk burgers etc have always been included. The only difference really are packages which allow those people who use some services to actually save money

First of all, back when I started cruising...there was no such thing as specialty dining. My first cruise was in 1995. That’s 29 years ago, and my first cruise was not on Princess, it was Royal Caribbean. I mean, this was back just prior to the time that Grand Princess first sailed, and was the largest cruise ship in the world (at the time). People went to one of the dining rooms and had high quality meals with fantastic service without paying extra. I’ve said numerous times on other threads, though, at that time, cruising was more expensive across the board. People paid more to be on the ship. There weren’t nearly the types of discounts or sales then that are offered now. Then, as an attempt to attract more people to cruising in the very late 90’s, lines began slashing cruise rates, and offering deep discounts. At that same time they began changing menus, and offering alternative restaurants on newer ships, and began charging for the alternative (or what is now called Speciality) dining. I was on this board back when that started (and the board itself was a part of AOL, well before it had its own website) and the uproar from angry cruisers was something to behold. Over time, people have gotten used to the changes though, and many like it this way.

I never said anything about the beverage packages...bottom line for me is that I would prefer to pay one price, get it all, and not be nickeled and dimed. That’s really all I was saying. You obviously prefer to pay for what things you want and feel like you’re saving money by doing so. It’s very different from when I first started, and it’s okay that I feel that way. On the other hand, your experiences are also completely valid. We see things differently. That’s the way of the world.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

First of all, back when I started cruising...there was no such thing as specialty dining. My first cruise was in 1995. That’s 29 years ago, and my first cruise was not on Princess, it was Royal Caribbean. I mean, this was back just prior to the time that Grand Princess first sailed, and was the largest cruise ship in the world (at the time). People went to one of the dining rooms and had high quality meals with fantastic service without paying extra. I’ve said numerous times on other threads, though, at that time, cruising was more expensive across the board. People paid more to be on the ship. There weren’t nearly the types of discounts or sales then that are offered now. Then, as an attempt to attract more people to cruising in the very late 90’s, lines began slashing cruise rates, and offering deep discounts. At that same time they began changing menus, and offering alternative restaurants on newer ships, and began charging for the alternative (or what is now called Speciality) dining. I was on this board back when that started (and the board itself was a part of AOL, well before it had its own website) and the uproar from angry cruisers was something to behold. Over time, people have gotten used to the changes though, and many like it this way.

I never said anything about the beverage packages...bottom line for me is that I would prefer to pay one price, get it all, and not be nickeled and dimed. That’s really all I was saying. You obviously prefer to pay for what things you want and feel like you’re saving money by doing so. It’s very different from when I first started, and it’s okay that I feel that way. On the other hand, your experiences are also completely valid. We see things differently. That’s the way of the world.  

Just a note cruise critic has its own website but it is owned by Trip Advisor   Also I don’t believe I have ever seen an all inclusive ship we have always paid for things like cocktails, spa services and laundry just to mention a few.   I do agree that back in the 1990’s MDR service was excellent however I have never been all that impressed with the menus. I first cruised on the old Fair, Star, Dawn and Sun Princess

Edited by memoak

I think the pricing seen in the app has a lot to do with where the ship is currently deployed.

I had checked my Nov 2024 Mexico cruise on Majestic and see AUD pricing.  Majestic is currently deployed to AU/NZ.

I had checked my Jan 2026 AU/NZ cruise on Discovery and see USD pricing.  Discovery is now deployed on CA coast.

A minor glitch in the app?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SDWalt said:

I think the pricing seen in the app has a lot to do with where the ship is currently deployed.

I had checked my Nov 2024 Mexico cruise on Majestic and see AUD pricing.  Majestic is currently deployed to AU/NZ.

I had checked my Jan 2026 AU/NZ cruise on Discovery and see USD pricing.  Discovery is now deployed on CA coast.

A minor glitch in the app?

Interesting thoughts…Checking my ships found these situations to pre-purchase SD:

Crown: Currently sailing on the West Coast & our cruise next year in Australia has AUD OBCs & advance booking of SD of $35/$39 USD

Royal: Currently sailing in the South Pacific & our cruise next year from NZ to LA has USD OBCs & advance booking of SD is $55/$63 USD which are actually AUD prices.

Thus for me the Crown fits your thoughts about prices being based upon ships current locations however that does not apply to Royal. So there appears to be no reason other than it’s another app glitch that needs to be fixed.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

No matter what your app says if you are cruising on the Ruby Princess, you will pay $39 plus 18% for a meal. IMO, that is the current price for ships using the US$. 

18 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

No matter what your app says if you are cruising on the Ruby Princess, you will pay $39 plus 18% for a meal. IMO, that is the current price for ships using the US$. 

It is $35 for Sabatini’s and $39 for Crown Grill. So far I have not been charged the 18%. We will see what happens next month 

3 hours ago, memoak said:

It is $35 for Sabatini’s and $39 for Crown Grill. So far I have not been charged the 18%. We will see what happens next month 

We were told about the 18% when making the reservation at the CG and would be $92 for the two of us.  We eat there in 2 days so will know for sure. This is on the Ruby so other ships might do it differently. 

• Thanks 1