Passports being held

MELSMOM47

I recently returned from the Caribbean on the Wind Surf. We were required to hand our passports over to the ship for the duration of the cruise.  We were told that this was in order to facilitate clearing immigration. Does Windstar always do this? the question came up on a thread about another cruise line and people said that they had heard of such a thing and would never give up their passports. I remember this on my previous Windstar cruises and didn't think anything of it. TIA

Posted (edited)

I have been on many Windstar cruises and as best as I remember, they always hold them and you have no choice IME.  I’m not sure why this is an issue.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I guess those people won't be traveling on Windstar! 😉

We have traveled on two other small ship cruise lines, and they had the same procedure as Windstar. They have done it on every one of our 10 or 11 Windstar cruises. Its never been a problem. If you are late enough to miss the ship sailing, they will return your passport to the agent at the dock.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

If I recall correctly, they did not collect our passports when we embarked on the circumnavigation of Iceland. Perhaps it is not necessary when all of the stops are in the same country.

40 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

If I recall correctly, they did not collect our passports when we embarked on the circumnavigation of Iceland. Perhaps it is not necessary when all of the stops are in the same country.

Did the cruise begin and end in Iceland?

Next winter we're booked on the Surf. One of our ports is Tortola BVI. Our plan is to take the ferry , (very short ride) to St John USVI for a few hours. This will require us to have our passports for the day. Wondering how they will handle this?

10 minutes ago, schmidlapp said:

Next winter we're booked on the Surf. One of our ports is Tortola BVI. Our plan is to take the ferry , (very short ride) to St John USVI for a few hours. This will require us to have our passports for the day. Wondering how they will handle this?

If they don't give passports back as a matter of course to all passengers because some might want to do this, you can let reception know your plans and pick the passports up from them the evening before or that morning. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, schmidlapp said:

Hmmmm. That's interesting. Last month on Windstar in the Caribbean we saw a couple speaking with the Pursers office about getting ahold of their passports. Perhaps it was for something like this. We finished our business and walked away without knowing the outcome. 

They collect passports on most cruises. For my Japan to Alaska cruise they didn't collect them until after the last Japan port because Japan requires you to take the passport ashore (though mine was never checked at those port stops.

7 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

Currently there is no ferry from StJ back to west end or Road Town Tortola and the only ones that stop in StJ to clear customs into the USVI from the BVI are those bound for Red Hook. Just keep an eye on schedules and have a plan B. We have a place in the BVI and use the ferries often. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Plus, in a situation in which you would be going by ferry or tour boat between USVI and BVI (or vice versus) a passport Card is sufficient. I last did this in 2019 and am assuming this still holds. 

Edited by MNgardens

Posted (edited)

Crystal cruises also holds passports for the same reasons. So does Holland America Cruise line on some extended itineraries, such as the World Cruise.  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

One time we asked reception if it was possible to get our passports back for the day as we wanted to go from Sint Maarten to Anguilla. There was no problem for them to do this. In the end we did not go but understood it was possible

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 8:50 PM, minidonuts85 said:

Currently there is no ferry from StJ back to west end or Road Town Tortola and the only ones that stop in StJ to clear customs into the USVI from the BVI are those bound for Red Hook. Just keep an eye on schedules and have a plan B. We have a place in the BVI and use the ferries often. 

Thanks for the info, I was on one of the virgin Islands websites and they listed west end to st John multiple times a day. Appreciate that you know firsthand.  We'll be in St Thomas for a few days pre cruise  before we head to St maarten. It looks like we'll do the red hook-Cruz bay ferry one day instead.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, schmidlapp said:

Thanks for the info, I was on one of the virgin Islands websites and they listed west end to st John multiple times a day. Appreciate that you know firsthand.  We'll be in St Thomas for a few days pre cruise  before we head to St maarten. It looks like we'll do the red hook-Cruz bay ferry one day instead.  

You are welcome! Unfortunately many sites still have the pre-Irma/Maria hurricane schedules posted. Interisland used to do it multiple times a day. 
Aquatic Rentals ferry goes from WE to St John then to Red Hook daily at 9am, 11 and 3pm but it doesn’t stop in St John on the way back in to the BVI and you won’t have a ride back. 
The ferry from red hook to Cruz bay RT is a great plan and enjoy your stay! 

Edited by minidonuts85