Different Crowds Sailing from Different Embarkation Ports?

5 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hi Clo, -  re the Seattle Freeze, it's not personal, it's almost like it's a social comfort zone.  I think Seattleites (and environs) can, and do compartmentalize social groups.  There is family/family of choice (which can include close friends) - folks that you would invite to your home to share holidays or major life events.  Then there are the outer rings of people that you know, that you meet for coffee, or maybe a lunch, but not entertain in your home.  It's all very pleasant, but not necessarily more than a surface interaction.  But, then again, you are generally please to meet up again for that coffee or lunch.  Strange, I know!  ;  )

When I think about it, I realize that a lot of Seattle folks have many separate groups of 'pals.'  You could have co-workers; the folks that you volunteer with; book club members; a running group; parents of your kid's friends; maybe neighbors; even the folks who always stop to talk to you when you are out walking your dog.  It's like you can be around lots of folks, but it doesn't often  progress pass whatever the shared interest is.  No doubt some social scientist is studying this phenomenon.

Thanks for this. So informative. And you write quite well.

• Thanks 1

Regarding Seattle freeze, I agree that it is a very real phenomenon.  I have lived all over this country and have now lived in the Seattle area for 5 years.  The social atmosphere here is unlike anything I have ever experienced in any other part of the country.  

Simple niceties like saying excuse me and thank you, or even looking eye-to-eye at strangers and giving a gentle head nod or saying hi are faaaaar less common here than in other places.  I know that happens everywhere, but I have never seen it on this scale.  People from here are aware of the freeze but don't really understand its impact as much as people who have moved here and know how it is elsewhere.  Occasionally, I'll meet a born-and-bread local who blames the freeze on the Californian flight to WA.  Perhaps that's it, but who knows?

That said, Alaskan cruises departing out of Seattle attract people from all over, so I don't think the freeze really impacts the cruises.....at least not from what I've seen on my several cruises out of Seattle.

• Like 2

I had never heard of Seattle Freeze until I read about it on this thread.   I looked at an interview with the reporter who originally coined the term.  What I found interesting is 20 years later even with all the population migration from other places, the Seattle freeze is said to still be a thing.

Not unlike the Body Snatchers, it must be space pods causing this.  Watch out @clo😄   

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Regarding Seattle freeze, I agree that it is a very real phenomenon.  I have lived all over this country and have now lived in the Seattle area for 5 years.  The social atmosphere here is unlike anything I have ever experienced in any other part of the country.  

Simple niceties like saying excuse me and thank you, or even looking eye-to-eye at strangers and giving a gentle head nod or saying hi are faaaaar less common here than in other places.  I know that happens everywhere, but I have never seen it on this scale.  People from here are aware of the freeze but don't really understand its impact as much as people who have moved here and know how it is elsewhere.  Occasionally, I'll meet a born-and-bread local who blames the freeze on the Californian flight to WA.  Perhaps that's it, but who knows?

That said, Alaskan cruises departing out of Seattle attract people from all over, so I don't think the freeze really impacts the cruises.....at least not from what I've seen on my several cruises out of Seattle.

I think I've realized that it may not be an age/generation difference, rather the Freeze. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I had never heard of Seattle Freeze until I read about it on this thread.   I looked at an interview with the reporter who originally coined the term.  What I found interesting is 20 years later even with all the population migration from other places, the Seattle freeze is said to still be a thing.

Not unlike the Body Snatchers, it must be space pods causing this.  Watch out @clo😄   

Maybe with all the tech companies here it the "Nerd Factor." 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

When I moved here a couple of years ago everyone was telling me how friendly Texas was and I said sure, uh, huh. Just got back from my daily 2 mile walk on the Trinity Trail and practically everyone passing in the other direction said hi or waved. On the Crescent Trail in Maryland only people I knew said Hi but the people there did make eye contact and sometimes smile. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

When I moved here a couple of years ago everyone was telling me how friendly Texas was and I said sure, uh, huh. Just got back from my daily 2 mile walk on the Trinity Trail and practically everyone passing in the other direction said hi or waved. On the Crescent Trail in Maryland only people I knew said Hi but the people there did make eye contact and sometimes smile. 

Great example.  Here in western WA, I'll pass people in the middle of the forest on a hiking trail and even when stepping aside to let them pass, they say absolutely nothing.  At first, I was really bothered by it, but I've started to become used to it now.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Great example.  Here in western WA, I'll pass people in the middle of the forest on a hiking trail and even when stepping aside to let them pass, they say absolutely nothing.  At first, I was really bothered by it, but I've started to become used to it now.  

Here in Wisconsin, I have been working my way, segment by segment, thru the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. Everyone says hi when you meet.

In the more remote areas, most not only say hi but stop and chat for awhile about trail conditions, mileage etc. Most days on the remote sections you don't see anyone so it is nice to take a little break.

Heading to Olympic NP next month. I'll make sure not to say hi to fellow hikers!

• Like 1