Upgrade offer weirdness, wrong booking number, wrong sail date, offer to upgrade

Moparfiend

Has anyone else gotten upgrade offers for bookings they didn't make / have? 
I got an upgrade email for the next sailing, different room type, different booking ID, showing my name. I checked and this is not a booking I've ever made.

Luckily I'm pretty good at checking the fine print / numbers or I might have put in an offer to upgrade, except that it would have been a downgrade of room type.

How often does that occur? 

Add me to the list.  It was for a 14 day day cruise out of Miami on Seascape.  Never booked it in the first place.  I went on the MSC site and entered the bookingnumber from the 'offer' and got a message that said 'It seems that your booking is not valid.'

This sounds like a classic phishing attempt.

We had an offer too for a cruise never booked. I think it is a glitch, the links in the Mail leading to plusgrade.com. 

Like the User before i got to Official MSC Website with the same outcome "seems that your ...."

The offer were for euribia, the cabinnumber is listed to can be booked - its for the repositioning from Hamburg to Kiel..... Weird....

Hello,

I've had a similar email this morning. Ship, cabin type and sail date are correct, Booking Number and cabin number are incorrect.

Interestingly the upgrade costs are the same as I have already responded to on the booking I think I've got.

I have set my TA on the case.

Regards,

Cublet

I was about to start a thread for the same. Received two upgrade offers for sailings im not on. I was cheeky, i tried to add the booking refs to my msc account in hope i had two free cruises!!

Cant blame MSC as its handled by a third party.

My wife and I have had this too. Booking number looked authentic but is not recognised and I haven't booked the cruise mentioned. We are on the one immediately before so quite disappointed cos it purported to be offering us the chance to stay on board for a ridiculously low cost. Just need reassurance our original booking is OK.

I just started a different thread about this and will ask the moderators to delete it. I received an upgrade offer for the May 4 sailing on the Meraviglia. My husband and I had been considering that sailing and had gotten all the way up to the payment screen in the booking process, but never actually booked it or paid for it. I got the PlusGrade email last night and decided to risk clicking on it this morning. It all looks legit in that it is the real PlusGrade site, but the booking number gives an error if I try to log into it from the MSC site or the app.

7 minutes ago, mmbcater said:

It was a computer glitch!

Did you contact MSC?

My feeling is that we all likely got so far as the payment screen, but never actually booked/paid for the sailings. MSC must have generated a booking number somewhere along the line in the process, and when we backed out without booking/paying, that should have been the end of it, but somehow those partial bookings ended up being sent to PlusGrade.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Did you contact MSC?

My feeling is that we all likely got so far as the payment screen, but never actually booked/paid for the sailings. MSC must have generated a booking number somewhere along the line in the process, and when we backed out without booking/paying, that should have been the end of it, but somehow those partial bookings ended up being sent to PlusGrade.

In reference to the canceled sailings that received upgrade letters, it was a computer glitch. If you have a valid sailing, I would call MSC just to be 100%.

6 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Sounds like Phishing

I thought so too, which is why I was super cautious about it. It definitely takes you to plusgrade.com, which is the real website of the third-party MSC and other lines use to manage their upgrade bidding.

Hello,

It would not surprise me if the major cruise lines, in order to 'save money', contracted-out their IT. So there is probably a single source of itinerant coders making the same balls-up on all the lines.

Regards,

Cublet

1 minute ago, Heather Barber said:

We got an upgrade offer and didn’t submit that day but a day or two later and we got an error message about our card. Tried multiple cards never worked. We gave up. 

Was the upgrade offer for a cruise you were actually booked on and the right room/booking number?

Hello,

The booking number on the 'strange' upgrade email is unknown to the MSC booking system according to my TA.

Regards,

Cublet