Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

1 hour ago, TPKeller said:

I don't follow Baltimore rush hour traffic often enough to know if this is out of the ordinary, but here's a current screen shot of Google Maps traffic.

Theron

image.thumb.png.6347ff6f66df4bbbb5b8ba59181246da.png

That is really good for Baltimore, especially on a holiday getaway weekend. 

1 hour ago, TPKeller said:

From later in the press release I posted above:

"To restore the Federal Channel to its original 700-foot width and 50-foot depth, USACE continues to clear wreckage from the riverbed. The continued work involves digging out the bottom cord of the remaining truss and cutting it into three sections to safely lift the wreckage.

[...]

Only about one-third of this truss is visible above the water as it stretches down to the riverbed and sits buried in the mud line. Based on the latest dive surveys and engineer analyses conducted after precision cutting and refloating the M/V Dali, the work to restore the Federal Channel is projected to conclude between June 8-10. The adjusted timing accounts for the complexity of the cutting and rigging required to lift portions of the large span. It also accounts for safety measures and possible inclement weather potentially impacting ongoing salvage operations."

Theron

And..... what????

5 hours ago, TPKeller said:

I don't follow Baltimore rush hour traffic often enough to know if this is out of the ordinary, but here's a current screen shot of Google Maps traffic.

Theron

image.thumb.png.6347ff6f66df4bbbb5b8ba59181246da.png

One of the local news stations (WUSA9) had a reporter driving in the traffic through Baltimore towards the tunnel and traffic was moving at less than 13 mph, so, yeah, out of the ordinary. The Key bridge makes a huge difference in traffic flow and has ever since it was built.  

On 5/26/2024 at 11:31 AM, smokeybandit said:

The new name should be...the Key Bridge.

I live in MD and have heard so many suggestions for a new name but I agree want to keep it as The Key Bridge.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 4:10 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

A three month estimate takes us to June 12th, 2024.

Reviewing the early portions of the thread this morning...

Snipe missed the estimate on when the channel would FIRST open to one-way, limited traffic, but he hit it pretty close for when the channel would return to full and normal operation!  😀

Theron

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, TPKeller said:
On 3/27/2024 at 4:10 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

A three month estimate takes us to June 12th, 2024.

Reviewing the early portions of the thread this morning...

Snipe missed the estimate on when the channel would FIRST open to one-way, limited traffic, but he hit it pretty close for when the channel would return to full and normal operation!  😀

Theron

Does that mean we have to buy him a house? 😄

I believe he originally bet his house.

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Does that mean we have to buy him a house? 😄

I believe he originally bet his house.

Well, since they partially opened the channel, and cruise ships had returned well before the 3-month prediction date, and since we really didn't clearly define exactly what the criteria was to begin with, I suppose he'll keep the house, and we'll all just be happy that things are back to normal!

😀

Theron

Edited by TPKeller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My bottom feeders (also known as Atlantic City NJ Real Estate Bankruptcy Lawyers) rigged the mortgage with so many tripwires, my main house was going to be worthless anyway.

As I stated, I have transferred all of the equity I gained from its overvaluation to my offshore accounts. You can try and find me at my vacation house in the Cayman Islands.

😉🤣

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Now that this got done expeditiously when red tape isn't a factor, we can shift to the replacement bridge which will be mired in red tape

They will just take all the red tape that they didn't use for clearing the bridge to be used in building the new bridge.  Can you imagine the money flowing towards various officials in awarding those contracts...

56 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Now that this got done expeditiously when red tape isn't a factor, we can shift to the replacement bridge which will be mired in red tape

Sounds like an investment opportunity: I might buy into 3M since I heard they specialize in tapes of all kinds to include red tape. I think they will have a warehouse ready to go on this project.