Glacier Bay 6 AM - 3 PM

Auntiejo

5 minutes ago, sharon_pei said:

Am i understanding it right that for those who stay in interior cabins, we would need to choose between going out to the deck to see glaciers vs staying indoor at 'visitor center' to learn from the park rangers? I can see why balcony cabins have a huge advantage here now. 

The visitor center is set up on deck outside and the announcements are broadcast via the overhead so that you can hear them in most areas around the ship even when you are outside on deck. Many people on the Grand Class ships take up residence on the promenade deck and you can hear the narration there.

• Like 1

We spent five days at Glacier Bay Lodge a few years ago. Some nights it was hard to go to bed, a lot to see! It is worth every minute for me to go to bed earlier than usual just to see and hear birds and animals in the morning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

The visitor center is set up on deck outside and the announcements are broadcast via the overhead so that you can hear them in most areas around the ship even when you are outside on deck. Many people on the Grand Class ships take up residence on the promenade deck and you can hear the narration there.

The visitor center is set up in a large indoor area depending on the ship.  The explorer’s lounge, covered pool deck, or other area where people can see out but can stay warm and dry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Am i understanding it right that for those who stay in interior cabins, we would need to choose between going out to the deck to see glaciers vs staying indoor at 'visitor center' to learn from the park rangers? I can see why balcony cabins have a huge advantage here now. 

Balcony cabins do have some advantages for Alaskan itineraries, but you don't risk missing that much if you choose an interior stateroom.  The park rangers will be giving presentations in Princess Theatre (which will be scheduled outside of prime glacier-viewing time), so everyone who wants to attend will be inside at that time.  As the ship gets closer to the glaciers, you'll want to be outside, and the park ranger commentary will be broadcast on the outside decks.  To be honest, it's often easier to hear when you're in the public areas outside rather than being on your own balcony trying to listen to it on your stateroom television.  It's also a lot easier to move if you're on the port side of the ship and the ranger announces, "orcas on the starboard side of the ship."  😉  Even when we've booked a balcony, I still prefer viewing from the public decks on Glacier Bay day!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:15 PM, sharon_pei said:

Those with interior cabins will have to go out of the cabin but most ships have indoor windows for viewing like from the Lido or the Crow’s Nest.  Some ships open the bow of the ship so people can see the glaciers and visit with one of the rangers.  Your ship may have a promenade deck for outside glacier viewing.  A balcony is nice but many people prefer to be able to move around the outside decks for a closer panoramic view.  The rangers will set up a table inside with merchandise for purchase.   

Posted (edited)

The last time we were on an Alaskan cruise we spent most of the Glacier Bay NP day on our balcony and loved it.  We had an aft cabin on the lowest deck, close to the water line.  We could hear the ice popping in the water, and see birds and other animals in the water fairly closely.  We were able to pop in and out of our room for drinks, jackets, binoculars, cameras, etc as needed.  We could hear the ranger narration just fine by slightly leaving our door ajar (I realize for climate control purposes on a ship that is discouraged, but I suspect on scenic cruising days it's normal for short times).  

Once we went to the top deck because we'd heard 'you have to go to the open decks to enjoy anything'.  The open areas were packed with people, it was hard to see anything, and it was SO NOISY with people talking.  We couldn't hear any of the nature sounds up there as we had from our balcony.  We stayed up there for less than 30 minutes and retreated back to our balcony 🙂  We did visit the ranger station onboard early in the morning and picked up some printed materials.  

We have another aft balcony booked for next month and can't wait.  It's a very secluded and fully covered balcony so we shouldn't have any wind issues.  Different strokes for different folks when it comes to cabin choice and cruising style.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan

We were hesitating between inside vs balcony at booking, but the ~$5000 price difference plus a lot of folks's opinion that it doesn't matter much as one is in the cabin to sleep only skewed the decision making. And we mistakenly chose the north bound ship that has so many disadvantages (6am arrival time for Glacier Bay is one of them). I guess a more comprehensive research prior booking is critical. well, lesson learned. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Richardgoogle said:

We were hesitating between inside vs balcony at booking, but the ~$5000 price difference plus a lot of folks's opinion that it doesn't matter much as one is in the cabin to sleep only skewed the decision making. And we mistakenly chose the north bound ship that has so many disadvantages (6am arrival time for Glacier Bay is one of them). I guess a more comprehensive research prior booking is critical. well, lesson learned. 

I actually like the North Bound. The scenery gets better as you go! You will have a blast -don't worry.

Insides are fine. I would rather save the money for excursions. I have had everything from insides to suites and will take any of them in the future.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richardgoogle said:

I gave up booking balconies in Alaska. I save the money for excursions and are on outside deck for glaciers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With the excitement of going to Glacier Bay, and the long daylight hours, it won’t be an issue being up and about at 6:00am (at least it wasn’t for us). We were ready to go! 

Even though the most dramatic scenery doesn’t happen until later in the day, there’s still plenty of amazing things to see starting early in the day as the ship weaves its way into Glacier Bay. On our particular sailing, the park ranger that gave commentary over the PA system started talking early in the day. When we were finally at Glacier Bay, she was out and about answering questions in person and posing for photo ops. 

Even though we had a balcony, we were out on deck as early as possible.in order to catch a 360 degree view of our surroundings. Completely worth it. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

Great discussion on timing at GBNP. We will be on NB princess sapphire on May 30th. Iternary shows 6 am to 3 pm. It appears that entry into the park is scenic and possibilities for wild life viewing. How long the ship stays near the glacier prior to sailing back? We have obstructed view cabin. How do we time our viewing from open deck? I don't think it is possible to stay all 8 hours in open deck. We may need to go back to breakfast and lunch etc..My question is which section of passage one should not miss?

After I have a close look at iternary, it reaches college fjord only next day evening. Why is it take about 24 hours to reach from glacier bay to college fjord?

Thanks

A few years back, Princess had a naturalist on board that gave us approximate times for wildlife and glaciers. Does anyone know if they still have a naturalist doing this?

3 minutes ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

How do we time our viewing from open deck? I don't think it is possible to stay all 8 hours in open deck. We may need to go back to breakfast and lunch etc..My question is which section of passage one should not miss?

The most dramatic day of the day is when you actually make it to the glacier. My recommendation is to get up early and head out to an open deck. Take in the sights. The ship moves very slowly as it works its way into Glacier Bay so that should give you time to plan your moves.

Grab breakfast lunch or dinner somewhere where you can still watch beautiful views while you eat (grab something from the buffet and then sit outside).  On our particular sailing, the cruise line offered a salmon bake on the pool deck so that people could eat and not miss out on the views. 

7-8 hours may seem long, but believe me, it will go by very fast. It will be over before you know it. 😀

4 hours ago, Kat915 said:

A few years back, Princess had a naturalist on board that gave us approximate times for wildlife and glaciers. Does anyone know if they still have a naturalist doing this?

Yes - Princess still has naturalists onboard.

Yes - the times are listed often in the Patter or whatever they are calling it now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coral said:

Yes - Princess still has naturalists onboard.

Yes - the times are listed often in the Patter or whatever they are calling it now.

Most Princess naturalists are very experienced and have been in Glacier Bay dozens of times.  They will know the timings and when to be on deck.  However you should find your naturalist and talk to them before Glacier Bay.  The rangers run the show while in the park and the naturalist gets the day off so to speak.  A few of the places are the park entrance and Icy Strait (whales and sea otters), South Marble Island (sea lion haulout), Gloomy Knob (mountain goats), and from Russell Island up to the glacier (bears on the beach).  If you don’t have binoculars, don’t bother, as you will only see dots.

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

Most Princess naturalists are very experienced and have been in Glacier Bay dozens of times.  They will know the timings and when to be on deck.  However you should find your naturalist and talk to them before Glacier Bay.  The rangers run the show while in the park and the naturalist gets the day off so to speak.  A few of the places are the park entrance and Icy Strait (whales and sea otters), South Marble Island (sea lion haulout), Gloomy Knob (mountain goats), and from Russell Island up to the glacier (bears on the beach).  If you don’t have binoculars, don’t bother, as you will only see dots.

I almost added that the Park Rangers are the ones on the Bridge the day of Glacier Bay but then stopped. The times are listed in the Daily Patter.

The Naturalists are often on deck for their own enjoyment that day and are approachable. Though there are several Park Rangers on the ship (from the Bridge to the Table that they setup and they also do talks. Park Rangers are on every ship that sails to Glacier Bay (it is required).

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I almost added that the Park Rangers are the ones on the Bridge the day of Glacier Bay but then stopped. The times are listed in the Daily Patter.

The Naturalists are often on deck for their own enjoyment that day and are approachable. Though there are several Park Rangers on the ship (from the Bridge to the Table that they setup and they also do talks. Park Rangers are on every ship that sails to Glacier Bay (it is required).

The naturalists are on deck and usually happy to talk, but are low-key about it. I once saw a college-age ranger (first year in the park) lecture the naturalist (who was a former GLBA ranger) for answering people’s questions.  They tend to be somewhat proprietorial. 😁

On 4/14/2024 at 3:29 PM, Tapi said:

Grab breakfast lunch or dinner somewhere where you can still watch beautiful views while you eat (grab something from the buffet and then sit outside).  On our particular sailing, the cruise line offered a salmon bake on the pool deck so that people could eat and not miss out on the views. 

7-8 hours may seem long, but believe me, it will go by very fast. It will be over before you know it. 😀

Quick Q on grabbing breakfast and sitting outside: at 6am would it not be freezing outside, or am I overestimating the brutality of alaska temperature?

7 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Quick Q on grabbing breakfast and sitting outside: at 6am would it not be freezing outside, or am I overestimating the brutality of alaska temperature?

The weather in Alaska can vary wildly. When we sailed (early June), temperatures were pretty mild. 50’s-60’s. On Glacer Bay day, we had clear skies and we were on deck wearing jeans and a sweater. 

11 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

This is interesting - yes it can be cold. Though I have also been to Glacier Bay when we are in front of Marjorie Glacier and there are a ton of people in their bathing suits and in the pool. 

Expect anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1