What to bring; cash or credit cards

HMSDingy

We are a Canadian couple taking a European cruise onboard the Island Princess this August and are wondering what form of currency should we bring. I know the onboard payments are done in US but what about when ashore? Would it be better in cash being the local currency, or a credit card?  

I noticed a marked difference post-Covid, things that were always paid in cash in Italy are now paid with credit cards, it's more common than in the past.  I still like to have currency on me but for most things you can get away without it.

Coins to pay for public restrooms are often needed, that's one exception to the credit card rule.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How many cash would you suggest for 3 weeks in Europe?

I would have 200-300 € and use the ATMs if you need more.  Do use credit cards as much as you can (charging always in euros, never in dollars), but it is always good to have some cash. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, marazul said:

I would have 200-300 € and use the ATMs if you need more.  Do use credit cards as much as you can (charging always in euros, never in dollars), but it is always good to have some cash. 

I know some of our excursions require cash. 

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I know some of our excursions require cash. 

If you have time, get the extra cash there at an ATM instead of bringing a lot more with you. You will get better rates. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marazul said:

If you have time, get the extra cash there at an ATM instead of bringing a lot more with you. You will get better rates. 

Everyone should be familiar with their financial institution's and specific account type's fee schedule because sometimes there is a fee for using an ATM off network and higher if internationally off network.  And there may also be a foreign transaction fee of 2.5-3%, not unlike the dreaded forex fee that many credit cards have.  (And the local ATM may charge a fee but I think it's rare for European banks.)  Depending on the circumstances, the ATM withdrawal fees can start adding up such that other options might make more sense mathmatically (though maybe not enough to offset the convenience factor).

12 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How many cash would you suggest for 3 weeks in Europe?

Ask your bank about fees for using ATM in Europe.

If is a minimum plus a percentage, ask for 200 euro

If it is just a percentage, ask for the minimum possible (50 euro and you could ask for less money indeed)

This is, ask for 50 euro in an ATM. If you need more, you will always find an ATM

7 hours ago, alserrod said:

Ask your bank about fees for using ATM in Europe.

If is a minimum plus a percentage, ask for 200 euro

If it is just a percentage, ask for the minimum possible (50 euro and you could ask for less money indeed)

This is, ask for 50 euro in an ATM. If you need more, you will always find an ATM

It looks like WF just charges a flat fee of $5.00 for debit card ATM withdraws.  We will use our Sapphire Card for purchases.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It looks like WF just charges a flat fee of $5.00 for debit card ATM withdraws.  We will use our Sapphire Card for purchases.

Have you thought of opening a "travel" account and credit card from a credit union? (If you work in the public schools, you know which one.) They do not charge fees. Also, if your WF credit card is lost or stolen you would have access to another financial institution. 

9 minutes ago, marazul said:

Have you thought of opening a "travel" account and credit card from a credit union? (If you work in the public schools, you know which one.) They do not charge fees. Also, if your WF credit card is lost or stolen you would have access to another financial institution. 

No, I had not considered this.  I hate the thought of dealing with opening a new account and moving funds around, but it's something to consider.  Our Sapphire card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.  We will use it for everything except cash withdraws from our WF account.  We get triple points on that card for all travel related purchases. We will have an alternate cc with us just in case something would happen to that card.  

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

No, I had not considered this.  I hate the thought of dealing with opening a new account and moving funds around, but it's something to consider.  Our Sapphire card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.  We will use it for everything except cash withdraws from our WF account.  We get triple points on that card for all travel related purchases. We will have an alternate cc with us just in case something would happen to that card.  

It isn't that complicated.  We keep a second account for travel purposes. We do a wire transfer into it before every trip and have a cc.

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

It isn't that complicated.  We keep a second account for travel purposes. We do a wire transfer into it before every trip and have a cc.

I may look into it this summer.  I'm too busy during the school year.  We don't need another credit card.  We put all our purchases on the ones we get air miles for, mostly the Sapphire Reserve.  

On 5/6/2024 at 2:23 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I may look into it this summer.  I'm too busy during the school year.  We don't need another credit card.  We put all our purchases on the ones we get air miles for, mostly the Sapphire Reserve.  

Right.  Just get the debit/ATM card.