Not so Perfect Day (April 5th) - Glad we had the cabana

Just wanted to share, it was 70 degrees, raining or misting all day long, and strong winds.

This was on Anthem of the Seas during a Spring Break.

We had the Thrillpark cabana, and I am so glad we did because they actually ran out of dry towels on the island, everyone was lining up by the replenishment trucks to change out.

We managed to stay out the whole day due to the Cabana, but we thought we would be glad for it due to shade, not the fact it let us stay dry when we needed.  The chill factor was extreme though due to the low temperature, constant wetness, and high winds.

Zipline down, no balloon flights (of course) and standing in line on the towers took a good measure of your dedication since the higher you went up the colder you got due to more wind.

Not blaming RCL of course, but the third time we heard "It hasnt rained here in a month" we were getting pretty annoyed <grin>

So if you are going back and forth on a cabana, do it if the price is close to right for you, it might save your day in other ways than you thought.

• Like 1

We were sorta prepared for the rain, but the rain and 70 deg and high winds all added up to too much.  8yo son got chilled badly (kids never know when they are too cold) and he and I went back to ship early while wife and 11yo daughter stayed behind at cabana.

All in all still a good day, but as my son said, A not so perfect day at cococay.

2 hours ago, Neosophy said:

So if you are going back and forth on a cabana, do it if the price is close to right for you, it might save your day in other ways than you thought.

As much as I like Coco Cay, if it were chilly and rainy, I'd stay on the ship.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Sounded like a good day to stay on the ship.

It probably was, but we paid for the cabana and they werent refunding due to 70 deg and on/off rain.

Originally (day before pulling in there) it was supposed to be 80, light rain 8-10am, then sunny.  That changed badly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Neosophy said:

It probably was, but we paid for the cabana and they werent refunding due to 70 deg and on/off rain.

Originally (day before pulling in there) it was supposed to be 80, light rain 8-10am, then sunny.  That changed badly.

Yeah, understand that is the downfall of booking those expensive cabana's. They have you locked in. Just give me a chair on the beach or by one of the pools somewhere and I'm fine.

Sorry it was the greatest experience you and your family had hoped for. Hopefully better results next time.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Neosophy said:

Just wanted to share, it was 70 degrees, raining or misting all day long, and strong winds.

This was on Anthem of the Seas during a Spring Break.

We had the Thrillpark cabana, and I am so glad we did because they actually ran out of dry towels on the island, everyone was lining up by the replenishment trucks to change out.

We managed to stay out the whole day due to the Cabana, but we thought we would be glad for it due to shade, not the fact it let us stay dry when we needed.  The chill factor was extreme though due to the low temperature, constant wetness, and high winds.

Zipline down, no balloon flights (of course) and standing in line on the towers took a good measure of your dedication since the higher you went up the colder you got due to more wind.

Not blaming RCL of course, but the third time we heard "It hasnt rained here in a month" we were getting pretty annoyed <grin>

I assume you mean April 4th, since I was at Coco Cay that date on Allure along with Anthem. The weather was bad all day, at least in my book, so I never got off the ship. 

17 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah, understand that is the downfall of booking those expensive cabana's. They have you locked in. Just give me a chair on the beach or by one of the pools somewhere and I'm fine.

I'm with you.  First because the cabanas are just so expensive, and I don't see a lot of value in them.  Second because you can't know what the weather'll be like.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was one of the earliest to get off and it was partially sunny.  At about 9:30 one could see heavy dark clouds approaching.  The weather pattern changes so quickly, and we stayed and braved the rotten weather.  The Captain, in the latest announcement mentioned that it was going to clear up in the afternoon.  Every time it seemed to get brighter, it was followed by a deluge.  We had

day beds at Breezy Bay and my grandkids were huddled and covered with towels.  Well, it never stopped and even the umbrellas and the drapes were no protection against the rain.  We gave up at about 2:30PM.

The good news I got refunds in OBC for the total costs and including the tax.

Ps.  Allure was with us in Nassau and in Coco Cay. 

Edited by nelblu

17 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I was one of the earliest to get off and it was partially sunny.  At about 9:30 one could see heavy dark clouds approaching.  The weather pattern changes so quickly, and we stayed and braved the rotten weather.  The Captain, in the latest announcement mentioned that it was going to clear up in the afternoon.  Every time it seemed to get brighter, it was followed by a deluge.  We had

day beds at Breezy Bay and my grandkids were huddled and covered with towels.  Well, it never stopped and even the umbrellas and the drapes were no protection against the rain.  We gave up at about 2:30PM.

Yep - It was amazing how quickly the weather said "hold my beer".

I saw sunlight two times and had sudden hope, only to have it crushed, heh.

Glad they gave you OBC for the daybeds, we didnt ask for the cabana, cause even though it was the Thrillwater park tent version, it worked really well for us and our attendant was really great (Trainee on his second day, but did awesome, thanks Alejandro)

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Did you asked for a refund or they just gave it to you?

Posted (edited)

We experienced one of those days a few months ago on the Independence. It was a cool, windy, and rainy day, but we went to the island anyway around lunchtime. We ate there, but all of the loungers were already wet and then it started raining again. The worst part was the IT failure on the ship that required us to be checked in manually. We stood in a long line for over twenty minutes, waiting to get on the ship while watching Mariner guests on the other side walk right on. It was so windy and rainy that it soaked through my coverup and formerly dry bathing suit. Most days on Coco Cay are indeed perfect, but the nasty days are really bad. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Carlos A. said:

Did you asked for a refund or they just gave it to you?

At about 10-10:30 we were given 2 options by the Concierge--100% refund if we made the decision to leave at that point or a 30% refund if we stayed.  We chose the latter options as we expected the weather to clear.  However, weather did not improve and most of the beds went empty.  At about 2-2:30, I guess either the Concierge felt sorry for us as we were bundled with towels to stay warm or some sort of instructions from the higher ups.

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am glad that there are lots of options of how to or not to spend one's money at Coco Cay. We have been blessed to have stopped at this spot 4 times since it was upgraded and had good to excellent weather. We would just never choose to spend our money for some of the extravagant options available on the island. Two reasons make up our reasoning: our perceived lack of value and the ever-present chance that the weather can blow up the day. As others have mentioned, with weather that occurred on the orginal poster's day, we would have never left the ship or returned fairly quickly to the ship once the weather just failed to cooperate. Not having invested in a pricey option on the island gives up that flexibility.

We do have the caveat that we would spend the day in the covered Solarium shielded from the rain and wind due to our party make-up.

Edited by baileybrad

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Neosophy said:

Yep - It was amazing how quickly the weather said "hold my beer".

Oh, yes, we experienced this in Cozumel last fall.  We left the ship in lovely weather, but we returned to the ship soaked to the bone, and -- after changing clothes -- we went to Windjammer for a snack and took the most magnificent pictures of the storm clouds off in the horizon.  

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Most days on Coco Cay are indeed perfect, but the nasty days are really bad. 

Well, that's kinda true of any beach.  

40 minutes ago, baileybrad said:

I am glad that there are lots of options of how to or not to spend one's money at Coco Cay.

Agree! 

Edited by Mum2Mercury